Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Has anyone heard of Unitarian Universalists?

I just never heard of this before, and I was curious if anyone else has heard of this group?
[IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/MrsPrincessLily/notebook.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Has anyone heard of Unitarian Universalists?

• it's a group that's been around for a long time...what do you want to know?
  • Yup.  When I was a kid, we went to their church for a bit. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I've been to a UU church a few times.
  • We have visited a UU church a few times.

If there was one closer to us we would probably attend regularly.  Since we aren't exactly Christian (ok we aren't at all since we think Jesus was just some dude, not the son of God) it is a good option for us.  I would like to raise my kids in a "church" comunity as that is something I think was valuable in my childhood. 

The ones we have visited have had a regular church service except the hymns tend to be generic and the "sermon" tends to be more like a lecture on some subject.  Around the holidays they seem to do a variety of services- a solstice service, a xmas service, etc, and people can pick and choose what appeals to them. 

• That's the church Esther's family attends in The Bell Jar.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My H was a musical director for one for a couple of years. I have attended some services and I know friends who have gone. It's a great church for people that are mixed religion, for example, because it is very accepting of all denominations, including Judaism. The church my H worked at had stained glass and one of the windows was a Star of David.

It still was pretty churchy to me, though. There was still plenty of talk of God in the sermons. 

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/rkd75g.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/23r1e34.jpg[/IMG]
  • I've recently started attending UU services, I am so happy to have finally found a church that fits my beliefs or lack there of. It's a very open community based on supporting everyone's individual spiritual journey.  Check out www.uua.org for more details on the beliefs/principles of the religion if your'e interested.
  • I'm sorry, this post title makes me giggle every time I see it. It's not like they're an obscure cult... it's a very popular church. But then, I grew up in Massachusetts so maybe I'm overexposed.
  • We have them in Kansas City too.  My friend got married in one.
  • image ibis:
    I'm sorry, this post title makes me giggle every time I see it. It's not like they're an obscure cult... it's a very popular church. But then, I grew up in Massachusetts so maybe I'm overexposed.
    I was feeling a little side-eye-ish at it, too.
  • image broccolitree:
    That's the church Esther's family attends in The Bell Jar.

HA!  Props, broccoli, for pulling out this reference!

• Of course I've heard of UUs.  It's a decently popular church. 
  • I'm really surprised anyone hasn't, honestly.  I've never been to one myself, but keep meaning to.  My understanding is that they are very accepting, believing that God doesn't care what name you can him/her/it/them by.  I'm pretty sure they "officially" draw on 6 major world religions, including Christianity, Judism, and Neo Paganism, but are not limited to those 6 religions.  It's the church my parents attended when my brother and sister were little (back then my formerly Catholic dad still felt that kids should attend a church).  It's also the church that DH and I agreed to raise our children in during our engagement back when we were a Catholic/Agnostic couple, though now that we are an Atheist/Agnostic-Pagan couple we most likely wont bother.  But I only found out that my parents used to go to a UU church after telling them that it was what DH and I were planning on. 
  • I think The Simpsons TV show (if it's still around . . . . I'm probably showing my age here) references it regularly.
  • image WendyGR:
    I think The Simpsons TV show (if it's still around . . . . I'm probably showing my age here) references it regularly.

It is and they do.

Also, heaven's easier to get in to than Arizona State.

Team Basement Cat image Knitting&Kitties
  • I'm surprised that anyone hasn't heard of them. If I were ever to have interest in attending a church, that would be the one I'd pick.

Also, I live right by Frank Lloyd Wright's Unitarian Meeting House. I walk past it almost every day.

• image sillygoosegirl:
    I'm really surprised anyone hasn't, honestly.  I've never been to one myself, but keep meaning to.  My understanding is that they are very accepting, believing that God doesn't care what name you can him/her/it/them by.  I'm pretty sure they "officially" draw on 6 major world religions, including Christianity, Judism, and Neo Paganism, but are not limited to those 6 religions.  It's the church my parents attended when my brother and sister were little (back then my formerly Catholic dad still felt that kids should attend a church).  It's also the church that DH and I agreed to raise our children in during our engagement back when we were a Catholic/Agnostic couple, though now that we are an Atheist/Agnostic-Pagan couple we most likely wont bother.  But I only found out that my parents used to go to a UU church after telling them that it was what DH and I were planning on. 

That's close but not quite right.  My ILs and DH are UUs and we were married by a UU minister.  They believe that you find your own truth and place a heavy emphasis on humanism, like being a good person, rather than subscribing to one fixed set of beliefs.  It's all about doing what works for you and affirming the "journey," so to speak, of others.  There is no UU creed.

They draw inspiration from various sources, some spiritual and some secular.  The congregation usually has a whole slew of beliefs in it.  For example, my MIL is an atheist, FIL was raised half Jewish half Catholic, DH is agnostic, their minister was raised a Catholic, lots of their friends came from Protestant backgrounds, etc. 

• image sillygoosegirl:
    I'm really surprised anyone hasn't, honestly.  

there are less than a million UUs worldwide, so it's not that surprising.  last numbers i heard for u.s. membership was around 500K, which is pretty small in the overall scheme of things.

great blasket island, co. kerry, ireland june 2011
  • I've heard of them here, but I've not seen them in any of the areas I've lived in.  It's not surprising to me at all that someone might not have heard of them.
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • we were married by the UU minister MH grew up with.  there was pleanty of God in our ceremony to make my folks happy, but I didnt feel that there was any exclusionary talk which made me happy.  (their chuch was built in the 1700s)

SIXTEEN HISTORICAL AFFIRMATIONS OF THE UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST FAITH

1. that God is a Unity as opposed to a Trinity
    2. that all human beings can hope for salvation
    3. that there is in each human person a spark of the divine
    4. that relevant and meaningful statements of belief are personal statements
    5. that truth grows and changes
    6. that people should be free to judge whether or not to accept the pronouncements of the church
    7. that a broadly inclusive tolerance in religion is preferable to an enforced uniformity
    8. that religious assertions must be reasonable if they are to be accepted as valid
    9. that doubt can help to winnow truth from untruth
    10. that a person must develop a trusting reliance on him or herself and his or her own capacity to make sensible life-improving choices
    11. that religion ought to be concerned primarily with this life
    12. that answers to question, solutions to problems and comfort from discomfort-to have any real or lasting effect-must come from within a person not from outside
    13. that God is in the world, not outside the world
    14. that suffering is part of Life, not punishment for a way of living
    15. that religious literature gives symbolic, rather than literal, truth
    16. that religion ought not to involve only ritual, but also reflection and action for goodness
    [url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1711f7.aspx[/img][/url]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
    [img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;20725;14/st/20131125/k/f26b/preg.png[/img]
    [/url]
  • image JaredsgirlErin:
    image ibis:
    I'm sorry, this post title makes me giggle every time I see it. It's not like they're an obscure cult... it's a very popular church. But then, I grew up in Massachusetts so maybe I'm overexposed.
    I was feeling a little side-eye-ish at it, too.

It's pretty obscure here in the land of Southern Baptists and Evangelicals. We have one in town, but I have never known anyone who attends it (to my knowledge, anyway. I mean, I don't poll everyone I know on religion).  I have been interested in it myself, though. I am Christian, but I find most Christian churches too intolerant for my tastes.