Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Filing BK and DH buys TV's

2»

Re: Filing BK and DH buys TV's

• As some of the other posters have said, there are so many problems in this situation, it's hard to know where to start.

If he has acquired those 2 TVs, thinking that he will then declare bankruptcy and not have to pay for them, as another poster suggested, then not only is he dishonest but that behaviour is morally reprehensible. He may find anyway that the Trustee/Bankruptcy Service may have the power to reverse any transactions done in anticipation of/just prior to declaring bankruptcy and have the TV's repossessed.

The way he is behaving makes me wonder if he isn't trying to get you to leave him so he doesn't look like the bad guy, abandoning a wife and young baby. Is it possible that he wants "out" and he has acquired the 2 tvs so you have one each when he walks? Just a thought.

• image PrincessLinLin:
    Wow... this hurts my heart. My ex used to do the same things and he had me so brainwashed then he blew through MY trust fund left to me by my deceased parents. I finally got the will to leave him before he dragged me any further down into his misery. by this point we were homeless. Please for the sake of your child do not let yourself get in such a bad state. My t&p are with you!

um....no comment.

• image jonesdouglas:

image PrincessLinLin:
    Wow... this hurts my heart. My ex used to do the same things and he had me so brainwashed then he blew through MY trust fund left to me by my deceased parents. I finally got the will to leave him before he dragged me any further down into his misery. by this point we were homeless. Please for the sake of your child do not let yourself get in such a bad state. My t&p are with you!

um....no comment.

This is altogether different than what the OP is experiencing.

Um, how did this character get his hands on your money? Only YOU know the answer to that one.

Getting back to the OP:

Her leech of a spouse paid CASH for those 2 TVs. This is on MM.

He paid cash for 2 TVs he does not need and his wife is going without a necessity like contact lenses.

Character deficiency much, loser "H" of OP?

I tend to think so.

(The second she found out he paid cash for those TVs, she should have taken that baby and went right out the door -- and NEVER returned. That he spent this kind of money instead of making sure his wife had a necessity -- holy sh!t; that sure spells it out for the OP pretty clearly, does it not??)

There's nothing here for the OP. Give him a month to get his sh!t together, I said? No -- the OP should leave NOW -- she should safeguard whatever assets she might have and when she's done, file for divorce. Take the chalupa and go home to your parents. You will have lost NOTHING here.

• Divorce this worthless sack of sh!t, move back home to your parent's, use the child support to pay for day care if your parents can't watch your child all the time, get yourself a job and work your ass of to get back on your feet. It will be hard and you'll have to swallow your pride...but I promise, your mom and dad don't want you to be wasting your time with this loser who refuses to take care of their daughter and grandson.

I'm sorry, but this sort of selfish behavior isn't fixed quickly or easily. And if he doesn't see a problem now, I highly doubt he'll see a problem soon. Cut your losses and get out quick!

• How were the TVs paid for?  It doesn't sound to me like he saved up for them.  You need to call his Bankruptcy attorney and say that he's done this.  Depending on whether he's filed, and what chapter, there could be ramifications to the Bankruptcy.

I honestly don't understand how this guy expects to get through life.  You honestly might be better off financially with a child support order.  At least that way he goes to jail if he doesn't make sure that the kid comes first.

• image lawright:

How were the TVs paid for?  It doesn't sound to me like he saved up for them.  You need to call his Bankruptcy attorney and say that he's done this.  Depending on whether he's filed, and what chapter, there could be ramifications to the Bankruptcy.

I honestly don't understand how this guy expects to get through life.  You honestly might be better off financially with a child support order.  At least that way he goes to jail if he doesn't make sure that the kid comes first.

This barnacle paid cash for the TVs -- as per the OP on MM.

The OP should document that well -- and indeed when she found out he had cash for an unrequired item, she should have been out that door with the child so fast that heads would have spun in Oslo.

• Any idiot who puts a television before the financial security of his wife & child doesn't deserve to have a wife & child.
  • image alabaster_angel:
    Any idiot who puts a television before the financial security of his wife & child doesn't deserve to have a wife & child.

Indeed.

And if she's been wearing disposable contacts for 2 years, I am guessing that's about at least as long as this entire train wreck has been going on.

• image Sabrina121:

Before your husband even files for bankruptcy you should visit a financial planner (I believe you can only file once so you need to make sure that this is the right option) and if you're going to do something so drastic you need to BOTH understand how not to get so indept again.

The highlighted portion is absolutely false.  A person or entity can file bankruptcy multiple times (just ask Donald Trump, Bally's Total Fitness, and Fortunoff's).  If you do not get proper pre-bankruptcy consumer credit counseling, however, your bankruptcy petition will be dismissed and you will not be able to file for another 180 days.  If you seriously believe that you will be filing for bankruptcy, see an attorney that specializes in indvidual Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy law.

Notwithstanding the bankruptcy issue, however, your husband is an a$$ and if my husband did to me what yours is doing to you, I'd be outta here so fast, he wouldn't even know what happened.

• I was feeling very much in the same boat. my hubby works very hard but we had no plan, no budget... Got Dave Ramsey's book Total Money Make Over. Love it... he's a nice guy, a smart guy and reading about some of the other people who have fixed their finances really surprised me... there we're people seriously hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt but they managed to make their way out with some REALLY hard work and a really good plan. Read it before you file BK... BK will kill you. i know it says it will only be on your credit report for 7 yrs, and you think thats fine because you will need a good 7ys to get your act together but you might not know that if you ever apply for a loan and even some jobs the applications says have you EVER filed bankruptcy? this could still keep  you from getting your loan or even a job. if you lie on the form, you are breaking the law. Seriously, check out his book... and make your debt list and start cracking. make some changes. get your husband on board. and return that damn TV!