Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

When does free speech become terroristic threats?

I'm starting to hear of charges and indictments being brought against Pennsylvanians for "making terroristic threats".

What do you think about today's story of the man who posted an anti-police officer rant on YouTube? (okay, celebrating when cops get killed, scum of scum, I give you that!)

Charged and arrested for making terroristic threats.... where does this leave freedom of speech?  And YouTube pulled the offending video.... will this one go to the Supreme Court?

What do you think?

Preventing terroristic acts or eroding the right to speak freely, in public?

Re: When does free speech become terroristic threats?

• I saw this briefly on the news last night but didn't hear the entire content of the video.  Did he actually threaten police officers?  I know he was ranting about hating the 18th district cops and was waving a gun, but did he actually threaten?
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing the youtube thing is probably irrelevant -- I'm sure they have protected themselves to the point that they can probably pull whatever they want with recourse.

I will put this in the "why most people shpouldn't have guns" category, though.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • What I heard on Channel 6 was that in the video he encouraged people to kill police officers, and also told them how they should do it (by shooting them in the head and the chest).  I'm thinking that's what the problem is...Not that he ranted against the officers, but that he was promoting and ecouraging the killing police officers, thereby making terroristic threats.

I am in no way agreeing/disagreeing with the action that has been taken, I'm just stating what I heard.

• That should say "the killing OF police officers..."
  • meldotmeldot member
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments Combo Breaker

ugh. terrotistic threats. i hate that term. i agree with the pp that i think it was more about the specificity of how to do it. also, his 12 year old son (i think) was filming it so there was a whole other issue of endangering a child.

i'm not big on trampling on people's civil liberties, but i take issue with someone waving a gun around (in front of a kid) and detailing how and why police (or anyone) should be killed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It isn't illegal for you tube to take down his video, it isn't impeding on his freedom of speech.

Should he be arrested for what he did. No. (although I think he is morally an ahole)

• Their rules clearly indiciate:

"We encourage free speech and defend everyone's right to express unpopular points of view. But we don't permit hate speech (speech which attacks or demeans a group based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and sexual orientation/gender identity)."

He attacked a group of people, they pulled the video.  

Also he had a minor video tape this, which is why they probably were able to arrest him based on endangering a minor's safety.  

•  so do i want someone to have the right to say that so and so shld be killed and this would be how i'd do it?

is that the only form of speech that is illegal? can you think of another?

its not illegal what Imus said (continues to say) or what Rush says ...or what O'Reilly says...or what those biblebanging homophobes say....or hat Ann Coulter says...or what that ESPN reporter said about Tiger (he shld be lynched or something)....

i guess the freedom goes away when you talk about - really - killing someone?

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/mjodh1.jpg[/IMG] Hi Francey!
  • meldotmeldot member
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    rum-i think that's it-it's about the threat being specific and imminent-and i say that based only on the fact that all of my security training from my previous job prescribed that when a person, no matter their relationship to the organization-starts making threats that fit those 2 criteria, then they have crossed the proverbial line.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This guy will never be convicted, but I think the PPD had to make the arrest for PR nonetheless.  It isn't like he said, "You can kill X 18th district cop at 3:30 on Fridays because his car is in Y spot and his partner will be in a store."  He said you shoot at the head or the heart.  Um, ok. Thanks.

The child thing is where they are going to get him, but that will probably only be because he actually had the gun.  There are plenty of kids who are brought up in organized and unorganized group that foster hate -- it's not illegal.

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • Most people will not agree with me, but I say lock him up and throw away the key. The guy showed how to use a gun, to shoot police and where.

Freedom of speech...okay, i get that.

But what next?

People making videos of how to create a nuclear bomb and blow up the U.S.? How to kill everyone in your school?

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Where to start? who knows? not me

• image MsTammy:

But what next?

People making videos of how to create a nuclear bomb and blow up the U.S.? How to kill everyone in your school?

tam - its not "next" -  there are already books about bomb making, websites as well, and I am sure videos.  additionaly, there has to be the same in existence, sadly , about a school masacre. 

• Thank you everyone for your answers.

I suppose it is the semantics of "terrorism" that concern me the most.

Was this man making threats?  Yes.

Was this man being terroristic?  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

I don't think so.

So a comedian gets on stage and says, "Don't you wish George Bush had just shot himself in that hunting accident?"  and makes the gun sign to his temple.  Is he threatening the life of the President?  Is he a terrorist?

If I protest the right to bear arms, which is protected in the U.S. Constitution (and let's say it is, for argument's sake) am I making terroristic threats against the Constitution?

• Well this world just kind of sucks these days doesn't it? All i know is that I admit I don't know much. Huh?

• image laptopdancer:

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I suppose it is the semantics of "terrorism" that concern me the most.

Was this man making threats?  Yes.

Was this man being terroristic?  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

I don't think so.

So a comedian gets on stage and says, "Don't you wish George Bush had just shot himself in that hunting accident?"  and makes the gun sign to his temple.  Is he threatening the life of the President?  Is he a terrorist?

If I protest the right to bear arms, which is protected in the U.S. Constitution (and let's say it is, for argument's sake) am I making terroristic threats against the Constitution?

the comedian is similar to the Rush/Imus/idiots that say someone should be shot or hung or lynched.  its fair game and not terroristic.  the comedian had also better work on his material since it was Cheney and not Bush.

but if you write to teh Pres and threaten to kill him - or just have a nice sized placard out front Pennsylvania Ave, saying that you're gonna blow him up, yeah, terroristic.

and your protest is just fine so long as you are not threatening anyone's life...unless you want to shoot Charleton Heston adn all NRA members. oh wait, Charleton is dead.  :)    Anyway you are not using fear or submission

...or are you?

• ....the comedian goes off to work on her material and yell at her researchers.