Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Has anyone run the Philadelphia Marathon?

the mr and i were training for one in the winter, but his back got all messed up and was told by drs not to run for 5 weeks. so, I lost my running partner for long runs, but I have kept it with 5 mile runs on weekdays. I have never been a runner, but really started to like it after we began training in January.

I'd really like to run the Philadelphia Marathon in November, but was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions--the map doesn't show elevation, but knowing our city, it's pretty flat, right?  

The registration fee is $95 after June 30th, so I think I might register...

Re: Has anyone run the Philadelphia Marathon?

• I've run the 8K that goes with it ;)

Yes it's pretty darn flat.  If you need running partners, go out with the Philly Runners or a running group in your area.   

• I've never done it (you already know that) but I'd love to do the 1/2 marathon in September....you should do that one too! I can imagine it's a pretty flat course.

I didn't know there was an 8k along w/ the marathon...I may have to sign up for that.

My Boys

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/2d9vkzn.jpg[/IMG]
  • Hey Erin,

My husband has ran it.  He can offer you some tips if you like.  He qualified for a 100 mile race in CA but was canceled due to the fires there.  He's out there now as he had already prepaid for everything.  He's considered an ultra marathon runner.

If you like, I can give him your email and he can give you some tips if you would like them. 

DX: Premature ovarian failure
    ::::SAIFW::::: People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute. - Rebecca West
    WE'VE BEEN MATCHED WITH A SWEET LITTLE BOY!! -4/5/11
  • Also you may want to register soon as last year you could no longer register after a certain date as it got filled up quickly.
    DX: Premature ovarian failure
    ::::SAIFW::::: People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute. - Rebecca West
    WE'VE BEEN MATCHED WITH A SWEET LITTLE BOY!! -4/5/11
  • I am running the Philadelphia Marathon (1st marathon).  I have heard from past runners that it is really flat and a really good marathon to run for the 1st time.  I ran a 1/2 marathon in March but otherwise haven't really started to train (I normally run 5 miles 4x week and I try to squeeze in a 10 mile every 1-2 weeks).  I am planning on using Hal Hidgon's training guide and starting to seriously train at the end of July.  I would be up for a partner for long runs if you are interested. I run 8 minute miles.  I run at the Valley Forge Park.  I am NOT much of a talker when I run, though, it messes up my breathing.  Good luck!