Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Wednesday Night Vent

DH and I along with my family, have been planning Delaineys 1st birthday for over 2 months. We have purchased and sent out all of the invitations, ordered the cakes, and started buying decorations. We are having one of the parties here in La Vista for mostly DH family and friends that live close. We were talking this evening about the party and what all we had purchased for this party alone. We have spent an obsene amount of money for this party, which is the main party, and couldnt wait for it to come. Well I told him that I hadnt received an RSVP from ANYONE. So he calls his mother to see if she had heard anything and she informs him that no one fom her side of the family will be attending. I asked him if he has spoken to his dad and he said no, but that he doesn't think anyone from his dads side will be coming either. I went out on the balcony to find him in tears and feeling horrible saying that he doesn't have any family that cares. I proceeded to call and speak to MIL and she told me that we should call her side of the family to see if they will be attending and thats when I politely stated that that is not our responsibility. The invite doesnt say that we will be calling to receive RSVPs. I am a little upset right now because of the money that we had spent to provide for 50+ people and now it looks like the guest list is 15+.

UGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

thanks for letting me vent!!!!

Mommy to Delainey Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wednesday Night Vent

• That's awful... is there some history with the family that they wouldn't want to attend?  Who would miss a 1st b-day bash?  I'm sorry, that really stinks.
  • I am sorry that the family is acting this way. But, I do have to say that I find it more heartbreaking how hard your DH is taking it. Like PP said is there some sort of history of this?

For what it's worth, I will keep you guys in my thoughts this week while you iron out the details. Good Luck. Family stress is a rough thing to deal with even in the most laid back forms let alone with a party.

• I wouldn't invite them to things in the future.... also, take note if they decide to invite you to things.   I'm catty like that though..
  • His family are all based out of south dakota. The travel time is 2 hours which is the same for my family out of des moines wh of which are all coming to the party. I do agree with remembering this when they invite us to something. I have always felt like that with things. Now DH is understanding my way of thinking with that.
    Mommy to Delainey Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with calling people to see if they are attending -- might not be your responsibility but if it saves you a buck or two on the catering I'd say it's worth the inconvenience.

Also, I'm sorry that your husband's feelings are hurt. :(  It's too bad that people won't be able to make it, but I do understand that driving 2 hours is tough too, especially in this economy.

Maybe next year scale it down?  I'm sure she will have a wonderful time either way!  Sounds like she's a very loved little girl and that's the most important thing at the end of the day. :)

• oh my gosh... :(  This breaks my heart!   This a huge step in your family's growth!  I can't believe that they wouldn't use this a great excuse to get together and celebrate...

So sad for you hubs!  I can't imagine this... if my hubs got that sad... i wouldn't know what to do... :(

• WTF!  This is totally $hitty!

I can understand why two hours is a bit of a drive for maybe cousins, aunts/uncles, etc.. but not for parents and siblings!  It's her first birthday, seriously.. jerks.

Be extra nice to your hubby, give him some snuggles tonight.  Poor guy. :(

And for what its worth, I agree with Kristi -- calling them is no big deal at this point.. if only for your own convenience.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am sorry his family is being butts and you have every right to be upset.  I agree that as his parents they should at least make the trip- it's their grandchild and she only has 1 first birthday.  ((hugs))
  • image BoutTime:

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling people to see if they are attending -- might not be your responsibility but if it saves you a buck or two on the catering I'd say it's worth the inconvenience.

Also, I'm sorry that your husband's feelings are hurt. :(  It's too bad that people won't be able to make it, but I do understand that driving 2 hours is tough too, especially in this economy.

Maybe next year scale it down?  I'm sure she will have a wonderful time either way!  Sounds like she's a very loved little girl and that's the most important thing at the end of the day. :)

I agree with all three points.  Call them.  It's not like it's 200 wedding guests.  It would mean more if you're able to honestly say that DH would really love for them to be there.

[url="http://crosscountrysquared.blogspot.com/"] My blog[/url]