Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Doing your long runs at the gym

I'm a big treadmill runner-- I like running on a treadmill because I don't have to worry about weather, hills, I can perfectly control my pace, etc.

Anyways, sometimes (not all the time) I do my long run at the gym. I don't do it when the gym is busy (duh), but I always feel like people are watching me and thinking I'm obsessed or neurotic or something from about the 5-mile mark on. Like they are wondering "how long is that girl seriously going to run" or "is something wrong with her"?! Does anyone else feel like that? Or is this all in my head?

I keep on running anyway, ofcourse, but... just wondering if anyone else gets these vibes.

Re: Doing your long runs at the gym

• I thought the same thing today when I was doing my speed workout on the TM!  Run really fast for half a mile, walk for a minute, look like I'm going to die, repeat.  A couple of people were giving me weird looks.
    Blog:
    Blog: Eat, Drink and Run
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Last Race: California International Marathon - December 4, 2011 - 3:29:18, 7:59 pace
    Next Race: ARun for Young 5K - January 7, 2012
  • I've only done 5 miles at the gym, but I'm sure I was getting looks.  One time I ran less than 2 miles, and some guy commented that I ran for a really long time.  He estimated that I ran 10 miles.  Hahaha...I think someone might actually pass out if I really stayed and ran 10 miles at the same time.  It is funny because I like going to my gym because they are not stuck up at all, but it is kind of funny when staying on the treadmill for longer than 30 minutes is unusual.
  • I have done this once or twice, but I'd have to go at really odd hours b/c my gym gets crowded and you are not technically supposed to be on the machines for longer than 30 minutes.
    [IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii59/eevans1_photo/03b0b9ac-6a22-4c6e-9bad-dce89d908ded_zps32afd748.jpg[/IMG]
    TTC since May 2010
  • I would die of boredom if I did my long runs on the treadmill. I get bored after 5 minutes!!
  • LOL! Yes! The day I did my 12 miles at the gym with my mom (it was a horrible, sleety whiteout snowstorm outside) where the track is 10 laps to a mile is the one that sticks out in my head. 

Then I got to the point where other people--namely a few young guys in heavy pants and wifebeaters--would get on the track, hotshot for a few laps, and give up as if they'd run Pikes Peak. And there I was, trucking around like the Energizer Bunny for another hundred laps... made me love my "built for endurance, not speed" body a little more. :) 

• I think the longest I have done on a treadmill is 7 miles - it's so mentally challenging because it's so boring! I have never really bothered to wonder or care if others are giving me looks whether I'm running long distance, doing sprint intervals, heavy squatting or deadlifting... and I swear I'm like the sweatiest woman in the gym. I just do my thing and pretty much ignore everyone.
  • I look at those people as motivation.  I hope I can someday get there.
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/2/2cq89kamz.png[/IMG][/URL]

Best Running Accomplishment

Pacers Running Festival Half Marathon
  • I'd rather repeatedly jab a pencil into my eye than run a long run on a treadmill!

But I've gotten up to about 7 miles in the gym. It was when I was in college so at the college gym. We had two gyms - one was mainly for people who actually played college sports and one was for the rest of us. The sports gym was getting renovated so the gym was full of meatheaded guys and barely clothed girls - awesome. And I did feel completely out of place! I swear I was one of four people there actually there to work out!

~~run.around.aroo: The Life of the Wannabe Runner that Lives Inside Me~~
  • I get weird looks when I do intervals on the treadmill. I also get weird looks if I do longer then 45 minutes on the treadmill.

I just ignore it and move on with my workout. I get the most looks when I go over to the "boys" section to lift free weights.

• The most embarrassing part is when the treadmill stops after an hour and you have to reset it.  :)

Everyone does weird crap at the gym.  Everyone.  So I don't really care if I'm doing something wacky like running on the treadmill for 90 minutes.

[URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/s/snk5dpouq.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • Well...I don't think I've run further than five miles on a treadmill.  I get bored- I'd rather run in the rain.  It really doesn't snow here (NC) so that's not a weather issue very often.

I do feel like people are staring at me at the gym fairly often though.  Mostly, we have meathead type guys who don't do cardio at all, or girly girls who are barely sweating.  They're reading magazine and pedaling exercise bikes at 0.5 miles per hour.  So even a short treadmill run seems to attract attention. LOL.

• I haven't run on the treadmill in forever. I get really self conscience so I stick to the elliptical. I sweat like a man so I prefer to stay in the back away from everyone with a fan blowing on me. I'm actually starting the C25K tomorrow morning, so I guess I better get over myself and get on the treadmill!
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • image GRKaters:

LOL! Yes! The day I did my 12 miles at the gym with my mom (it was a horrible, sleety whiteout snowstorm outside) where the track is 10 laps to a mile is the one that sticks out in my head. 

Then I got to the point where other people--namely a few young guys in heavy pants and wifebeaters--would get on the track, hotshot for a few laps, and give up as if they'd run Pikes Peak. And there I was, trucking around like the Energizer Bunny for another hundred laps... made me love my "built for endurance, not speed" body a little more. :) 

10 laps per mile?! Ugh. The track at my college gym was 6 laps per mile. I literally had to keep track with my fingers. And that was only going 4 or 5 miles. I can't imagine doing longer than that on a short track or a TM. I'd rather run in the weather.
  • image GRKaters:

LOL! Yes! The day I did my 12 miles at the gym with my mom (it was a horrible, sleety whiteout snowstorm outside) where the track is 10 laps to a mile is the one that sticks out in my head. 

10 laps per mile?! Ugh. The track at my college gym was 6 laps per mile. I literally had to keep track with my fingers. And that was only going 4 or 5 miles. I can't imagine doing longer than that on a short track or a TM. I'd rather run in the weather.
  • At the gym today the only time I thought "OMG get off the treadmill you silly runner" was when there was only one left and I didn't wanna have to stick to the 10 min rule. I just wanted someone to get off so there would still be one free when I got on, so I could do my 30 min. Other then that I admire people who can run for ages, I hope to one day be the same :)
  • image jennythebride08:

I get weird looks when I do intervals on the treadmill. I also get weird looks if I do longer then 45 minutes on the treadmill.

I just ignore it and move on with my workout. I get the most looks when I go over to the "boys" section to lift free weights.

This. ?I will do my interval runs on it about once a week or so and I get some weird looks - I think maybe bc people think I'm getting tired and are probably thinking ?"why does she keep going faster if she gets tired?" ?But it's pretty easy to ignore, I just listen to my music and run.?

I get way more weird looks when I go to the free weights section, its like the "boys" are shocked that a woman would come to the "their" section, it annoys me to no end but I just try to ignore it.?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image sm:
    image GRKaters:

Yeah, it was looonnng. I was counting on my fingers since I didn't have a lap counter. By the end, I had a pretty good system down! At home, I would've run outside but I was visiting my mom --- it was my birthday, too --- and she needed to be inside.

• image GRKaters:

where the track is 10 laps to a mile

Have you seen that marathon that's on a track like that? I would rather run a marathon on a treadmill than do that. How boring and awful!

Most I've ever done on a treadmill is 5 miles, and the other girl that was in the gym with me asked me how far I was running. Once I explained to her that I was training for a half-marathon, she completely understood why I was running so far.  I still think she thought I was crazy though.

• I think the longest I have run is 5 miles on a treadmill and I wanted to poke my eyes out.  I give all of those who run that far or father often on a treadmill mad props.

I have gotten looks when doing intervals on the treadmill when I get close to 9 mph, it gets kind of loud and I get some sideways glances.  Oh well!  I am used to it though since I do "strange" things in the weight room, too.

Oh and in high school, I ran on an indoor track that was 9 laps per mile.  There were a lot of walkers there and they used handheld counter thingys they would click each lap to keep track.  I usually didn't lose count because I knew based on how long I was running how many I had done.  I always did 5 miles, so it was 45 laps!   No way I could do that now.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

• image BubbleJ:
    At the gym today the only time I thought "OMG get off the treadmill you silly runner" was when there was only one left and I didn't wanna have to stick to the 10 min rule. I just wanted someone to get off so there would still be one free when I got on, so I could do my 30 min. Other then that I admire people who can run for ages, I hope to one day be the same :)

10 minutes??? That's ridiculous!

• I have never ran my long runs at the gym.  If the weather is so bad that I can't get my run in outside, I will do a shorter run at the gym (3-6 miles) or lift weights/use the elliptical and move my long run to the next day.

I also refuse to run the treadmill. I hate it!!  I'd much rather run the indoor track (10 laps=1 mile).

My Running Blog!

2012: Running & Race Accomplishments:

2-12-12: Riverview Winter Fest 4 mile, 34:59 8:45 pace - 23 weeks pregnant
    2-29-12: Leap Year 4 mile, 36:45 9:11 pace - 25.5 weeks pregnant
    3-11-12: Corktown 5K, 28:33 9:13 pace - 27 weeks pregnant
    3-25-12: Rock CF Island Half Marathon, 2:11:03 10:00 pace - 29 weeks pregnant
    4-16-12 Boston Marathon, deferring to 2013
    8-11-12: Run thru Hell 10 mile or 4.8 mile
    9-30-12: Brooksie Way Half Marathon
    10-21-12: Grand Rapids Marathon
    11-22-12: Detroit Turkey Trot 10K

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I try to avoid running more than 6 miles at the gym, because it bores me to tears. But I was traveling for business last week, and I had to run 10 miles at the hotel gym. There was another guy there who was running 20 miles as part of his marathon training! I can't imagine running 20 miles on a treadmill. Between the two of us, we were hogging 2/3 of the treadmills at the tiny hotel gym... oops. :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I've done up to 14 miles on a TM.  I hated it, but usually it was a case of my DH working and having to rely on two hours of gym babysitting for my kids. 

I've also split long runs in the summer, like 5-8 miles outside until I'm dying, then finish on the TM. 

Now that the weather's cooler I would never choose the TM over outside, unless doing speedwork/HIIT. 

• The most I've ever done on the treadmill was 8 miles and I was bored out of mine.  I wasn't so much worried about other people thinking I was crazy for running that long, but more that people were going to get mad that I was "hogging" a treadmill (ours have a time limit of 60 mins so I had to restart it to finish my last 1 1/2 miles).  The gym wasn't busy, there were plenty of open treadmills, but I was still paranoid about being labeled a "machine hog".
  • The most I have done is 6 miles on the TM but it was so awful that I have never attempted it again since then.  I would much rather move my long run day if the weather is bad then run more than 4 miles on the treadmill...I think for me it is not just that it is boring, but I am literally watching the clock and my distance and time just passes so slowly when you do that!

• I ran 9 miles on the treadmill last night, and it never crossed my mind that people were staring at me.  The one annoying thing is having to restart after the first 60 minutes, I wish the treadmill would just keeping going and counting without turning off after 60.

I do have to say when I do intervals on the treadmill I do feel kind of silly, but during long runs?  Nope.

• Its 10 minutes if all the treadmills are taken, other then that its however long you want. But considering I like to do 3km (atm) and that takes me 30 min, 10 min would be 1km! Not long enough for me to feel like I'm doing anything!