Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Shoshie - is this true??

I was just talking to a coworker and I mentioned that I forgot all about Purim last year (I converted you know, so these things are not drilled into my brain quite yet.)  He told me that I'll never forget again because we are "commanded by Rabbinic law to get so f'in drunk we can't tell the good guys from the bad guys."  Is that true???  I thought it was mostly for kiddos......
Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.

Re: Shoshie - is this true??

• Yup --

that's part of the fun!

Although lately there has been a big crackdown on drinking among young people -- and some rabbis worry that it is getting out of control. 

This article explains it:

Perhaps one of the more fascinating aspects of our religion is the strange requirement that obligates men to get drunk on Purim. Mostly we think that religion preaches self restraint and "clean cut, healthy family" type living. Well, obviously, Judaism is for all that, but, it also includes this one "let's blow it" type of holiday that traces it's origins to the Talmud.

The Rabbis of the Talmud said, "A person is obligated to drink on Purim until he can no longer distinguish between cursed is Haman and blessed is Mordachai." This statement of the early rabbis who lived during the Talmud (about 1700-1800 years ago) had caused much concern by the later rabbis who concerned themselves with the codification of Jewish law (about 1000 years ago until today). (Exactly what the position of the rabbis in the period in between was can only been assumed that it did not bother them.)

Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • Woo hoo!  Can't wait for Purim! 

Drinks

Drinks

::::uh oh!! what if I'm pregnant this year??  Damn!  why wasn't this mentioned in my judaism class?  we went over all the holidays.....:::::

Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • image MrsAxilla:

::::uh oh!! what if I'm pregnant this year??  Damn!  why wasn't this mentioned in my judaism class?  we went over all the holidays.....:::::

Probably because on the Jewish holiday importance ladder, Purim ranks right around Chanukah -- somewhere near the bottom-third :)

Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker