Military Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

how to tell if it's a scam....

so i got a bill like a week ago from this company called Conservice it has really no info but just asks for 12.28 total from water, trash & sewer from the city of Oceanside. I was about to call them and give them my card so they can charge it but I googled the company first just to double check. Then this article from ripoff report comes up basically saying they are a scam. I am just unsure of it all because I don't want to have to pay a late fee if this thing is for real. Also there is nothing on it that is really official, like city of Oceanside logo or anything and it says it is based out of Utah not California... How can I make sure this company is for real? I feel like if I call and ask they'll just lie, I also looked at their website but it doesn't say much at all.

Re: how to tell if it's a scam....

• Call your actual company that handles your water, trash and sewer. They should be able to verify if that is true or not. They will have all bills that have been sent out and any withstanding payments.

Don't do anything until with the other company till you can verify what is going on through an actual company.

• image BR3public:

Call your actual company that handles your water, trash and sewer. They should be able to verify if that is true or not. They will have all bills that have been sent out and any withstanding payments.

Don't do anything until with the other company till you can verify what is going on through an actual company.

See the thing is I have no idea who does any water, trash & sewer-I never signed up for it or got any info that I had to sign up for this stuff. my water just comes out of the spout, I never had to get it turned on and the trash is open to anyone that lives here.

• Yes, call the city or whoever actually handles those services.  Do not give them anything until you talk to your actual provider.  Definitely don't give them your card number.  I work at a credit union in the fraud dept.  We see stuff like this all the time.
  • Do a reverse phone search.

You rent, right?  Can you call your landlord and ask him? 

My utility company will not take credit cards or cash.  Check only, and there's an option to drop it at City Hall or mail it.

Edit: Is there an account number on there? 

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image blondebunny:
    image BR3public:

Call your actual company that handles your water, trash and sewer. They should be able to verify if that is true or not. They will have all bills that have been sent out and any withstanding payments.

See the thing is I have no idea who does any water, trash & sewer-I never signed up for it or got any info that I had to sign up for this stuff. my water just comes out of the spout, I never had to get it turned on and the trash is open to anyone that lives here.

Do you live on base? If so I would call the housing company on base and ask them about it. If others are saying it's a scam it probably is. If you want you can PM some of the information (company name, number, etc...) and my husband can look into it. He's really good at finding out info about hoaxes and scams.

• image BR3public:
    image blondebunny:
    image BR3public:

Do you live on base? If so I would call the housing company on base and ask them about it. If others are saying it's a scam it probably is. If you want you can PM some of the information (company name, number, etc...) and my husband can look into it. He's really good at finding out info about hoaxes and scams.

Wow thats such a nice offer YGPM in a few~only of course have him look into it if he has the timeSmile.. I'll be calling my rental office tomorrow!

• If this is the same company then BBB has has a lot of complaints issued against them.
  • image BR3public:
    If this is the same company then BBB has has a lot of complaints issued against them.

yes that's the same one! I didn't even think to check BBB-it says they are not accredited. Looks like they won't be getting my 12 dollars. Thanks for all the help!

• BB, aren't you in an apt? I'd call the office tomorrow morning before paying.
  • image blondebunny:

image BR3public:
    If this is the same company then BBB has has a lot of complaints issued against them.

yes that's the same one! I didn't even think to check BBB-it says they are not accredited. Looks like they won't be getting my 12 dollars. Thanks for all the help!

"Not accredited" just means they haven't paid BBB, not that they're scammers. 

"This business has not been accredited by BBB.

Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.

To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public."

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • image MrsOjoButtons:
    image blondebunny:

image BR3public:

"Not accredited" just means they haven't paid BBB, not that they're scammers. 

"This business has not been accredited by BBB.

Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.

To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public."

Yeah you still really need to do some research about what's going on. 

• in my experience those utilities come in a bill sent by apartment complex management..