Politics & Current Events
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Explain to me why we even want the Olympics?

We've hosted them what? A dozen times.

Meh, let someone else spend all the money, worry about security, and all the other trappings that come with a 10 day long kumbaya fest of peace, love, and doping scandals.

I'm shocking myself right now, btw. I used to be obsessed with the Olympics. In fact, I have repros of the official posters up until 1996. Two, I think 1898 and 1906, are up on my daughter's bedroom wall.

I miss Bud Greenspan.

Click me, click me!

Re: Explain to me why we even want the Olympics?

• Money for one thing -- in the form of mega tourist $$.

Chicago was SUPPOSED to get them around the turn of the century, but they were given to St. Louis instead.

Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • its a pissing contest for hosting world-wide pissing contests.

HTH!

• image sugrfrejaz:

its a pissing contest for hosting world-wide pissing contests.

HTH!

I love you and not just because your kid is cuter than buttons.

Click me, click me!
  • Because the Olympics are AWESOME.

Having said that, I want Rio to get the 2016 Games!

• image marie427:

Because the Olympics are AWESOME.

What she said.  Plus I HATE when they are on the other side of the world and stuff isn't live for ME.  

• Jobs--not permanent but jobs while the economy is bad would help.  Jobs building things, planning, etc. 
  • When the Olympics were in China, I was in Japan, so you'd think I'd be able to watch them essentially live.  No.  I had to wait until they were broadcast in the US and then rebroadcast out to me.  Blech.  The only things I watched live were the Japanese badminton team and their gymnastic team (on mute b/c of course I had no idea what anyone was saying).

But, still, I want Tokyo to get it b/c I flove Tokyo.  I was just there a few days ago, and even just in the year I've been gone, there have been new buildings and projects for their bid.

• There's no guarantee that Chicago will make any money off the Olympics.  Ask Montreal how long it took them to pay off the '76 games (30 years).  London's Olympic budget has already been blown out.  And the Athens games?  All but one of their Olympic venues that they built is in use.  The other venues have never been used since 2004.
  • image sugfrejaz:

HTH!

image Big T (aka Mr.P):
    image marie427:

What she said.  Plus I HATE when they are on the other side of the world and stuff isn't live for ME.  

AMERICA!  FUCKK YEAH!

[IMG]http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/mmootd/olivertwist.jpg[/IMG]

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • image brideymcbriderson:

image sugfrejaz:

HTH!

image Big T (aka Mr.P):
    image marie427:

AMERICA!  FUCKK YEAH!

All of this plus the fact that it could really be a boost to the economy.  The Olympics woiuyld create quite a lot of jobs over the next few years. 

• image brideymcbriderson:

image sugfrejaz:

HTH!

image Big T (aka Mr.P):
    image marie427:

AMERICA!  FUCKK YEAH!

• image Stormie75:
    There's no guarantee that Chicago will make any money off the Olympics.  Ask Montreal how long it took them to pay off the '76 games (30 years).  London's Olympic budget has already been blown out.  And the Athens games?  All but one of their Olympic venues that they built is in use.  The other venues have never been used since 2004.

The '76 games were grossly mismanged. The Los Angeles games in '84 on the other hand were privately funded and made $250 million in profit. Some of the profits were used to fund youth athletic programs in CA.

The Atlanta summer games also turned a profit, however, quite a bit less than LA.

Olympic Games Profits Since 1984

1984: Los Angeles Olympic Games made profits of US $250 million.

1988: Seoul Olympic Games made profits of US $300 million, a record high for a government-run Olympiad.

1992: Barcelona Olympic Games made profits of US $5 million.

1996: Atlanta Olympic Games made profits of US $10 million.

2000: Sydney Olympic Games Organizing Committee generated an income of US $1.756 billion.

2004: Athens Olympic Games ended in a loss.

• image bigapplebride:
    image brideymcbriderson:

image sugfrejaz:

HTH!

image Big T (aka Mr.P):
    image marie427:

AMERICA!  FUCKK YEAH!

All of this plus the fact that it could really be a boost to the economy.  The Olympics woiuyld create quite a lot of jobs over the next few years. 

I want them because I'm in the architecture/construction industry in Chicago and we are hurting badly.  Plus I have a plan for renting my condo out for 3 weeks during the Olympics for an exorbitant amount and going on vacation somewhere peaceful during that time. 

• image 2xtime:

image Stormie75:
    There's no guarantee that Chicago will make any money off the Olympics.  Ask Montreal how long it took them to pay off the '76 games (30 years).  London's Olympic budget has already been blown out.  And the Athens games?  All but one of their Olympic venues that they built is in use.  The other venues have never been used since 2004.

The '76 games were grossly mismanged. The Los Angeles games in '84 on the other hand were privately funded and made $250 million in profit. Some of the profits were used to fund youth athletic programs in CA.

The Atlanta summer games also turned a profit, however, quite a bit less than LA.

Olympic Games Profits Since 1984

1984: Los Angeles Olympic Games made profits of US $250 million.

1988: Seoul Olympic Games made profits of US $300 million, a record high for a government-run Olympiad.

1992: Barcelona Olympic Games made profits of US $5 million.

1996: Atlanta Olympic Games made profits of US $10 million.

2000: Sydney Olympic Games Organizing Committee generated an income of US $1.756 billion.

2004: Athens Olympic Games ended in a loss.

The major difference?  Chicago is broke, broke, broke.  They are shutting down city offices and employees have to take unpaid days because the city can't afford it.  It's not a good time for the US to host the Olympics much less Chicago.  I know the Olympics are 7 years away but there's not even the guarantee that the economy will turn around and Chicago digs itself out of its financial hole.

As I said, there's no guarantee.  I hope like Hell that Chicago profits should it be chosen.  But the city will have to spend a lot of money just to update their infrastructure to support so many people coming into the city.  Additionally, they are already talking about tearing down a hospital in order to build the Olympic Village.  That's a crap load of money.  Money that could be spent addressing problems within their city... like crime and poor schools.

• Calgary 1988 also turned a profit I believe. 

• I hope Chicago does not get it because then Denver cannot go for the winter Olympics which it looks like we are going to try for. I was a ski racers and would loooooove it, if they would come. Also one thing they are talking about if we got it we would get better ways to get up to the ski areas. Right now it is a parking lot to get up to the ski areas during the winter.
  • image marie427:

Having said that, I want Rio to get the 2016 Games!

Boo!

• image UDShoeGal92306:

I want them because I'm in the architecture/construction industry in Chicago and we are hurting badly.  Plus I have a plan for renting my condo out for 3 weeks during the Olympics for an exorbitant amount and going on vacation somewhere peaceful during that time. 

How exorbitant is exorbitant?  How many people can you sleep there?  Do I get a "pre-announcement" discount of 10% if I mail you a $20 deposit before they even declare Chicago?  

[img]
    http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575553_3628402905789_1145555859_5259941_183025947_n.jpg
    [/img]
    </br>
    [URL=http://alterna-tickers.com][IMG]http://alterna-tickers.com/tickers/generated_tickers/6/6txg4pq9e.png[/IMG][/URL]