Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

home remedy for an earache?

Hi ladies

The past few days I have been plagued by a mild earache. I do get these a few times a year, and they usually go away on their own. A few times I have required antibiotics. I don't really have time to get to the doctor for a few days, so I'm wondering if anyone has any home remedy suggestions just to feel better? I'm not looking for a cure!

I have already tried tylenol & a hot water bottle.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2yp0n5f.gif[/IMG]

Re: home remedy for an earache?

• Well, this is the God's honest truth, but when we were younger and we got earaches, my dad would smoke a cigar and blow the smoke in our ear.  Weird, yes, but apparently it worked!
  • Honestly, an earache is not something I would take lightly. That said, I work with little kids and too often these ear problems end up being worse when parents neglect to tell their Pediatricians right away.
  • I sometimes suffer from earaches/plugged ears due to allergies (or long flights). Anyway, Afrin spray will help open up the eartubes and relieve some of that pressure and pain.

If it doesn't go away in a few days, I might be inclined to call my doctor.

• image Turtle143:
    Honestly, an earache is not something I would take lightly. That said, I work with little kids and too often these ear problems end up being worse when parents neglect to tell their Pediatricians right away.

I know, I know, but my schedule is SO busy and a doc's visit would eat up so much time. Then again, getting really sick would eat up more time. I might suck it up and go. Thanks :)

• image ad52905:

I sometimes suffer from earaches/plugged ears due to allergies (or long flights). Anyway, Afrin spray will help open up the eartubes and relieve some of that pressure and pain.

I have never heard of Afrin...where do you get it? Regular drugstore?

• PLEASE go to a doctor! I've waited too long before and needed to get shots in the butt!! Yes, more than 1!!! It was awful, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If you get them a lot, maybe ask your doctor to write an extra RX for you so you have some on hand for the next time an ear ache pops up. Hope you feel better soon!

• image LaurierGirl28:
    image ad52905:

I sometimes suffer from earaches/plugged ears due to allergies (or long flights). Anyway, Afrin spray will help open up the eartubes and relieve some of that pressure and pain.

I have never heard of Afrin...where do you get it? Regular drugstore?

Yes, regular store.  It's actually a nasal spray. But, it will open up both the nasal and earways. I had a huge problem with my ears last year (wound up getting tubes in my ears) and the doctor suggested using this when I was traveling and couldn't get to the doctor right away. The one thing with Afrin is that you shouldn't use it more than 3 days in a row. You might start having rebound effects. It works wonders, though.

• I get earaches but sometimes it's from allergies. I usually take a few allergy pills and see if that helps by draining any fluid from around there. If not then I go see a doctor.

A few times it's been TMJ and the nerves are so bad that if feels like an earache. Either way if it's been more than a few days I'd go see a doctor. My ears are not something I'll take the wait and see approach.