Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Which Disneyworld Hotel?

DH, myself, our 1-year-old son, 10 year old cousin, and nanny are going to Disneyworld in August. Which hotel should we stay in. Any tips...TIA

Re: Which Disneyworld Hotel?

• I guess our 1 year old would actually be 2, and the 10 year old 11 by then, if it matters.

• Which price range are you looking at? 

We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter (moderate level) earlier this year and really enjoyed it.  They do have connecting rooms, but not suites.  Make sure you ask for "connecting" rooms if you want a door that opens between the two rooms.  "Adjoining" rooms are just next to each other, as we learned.

• What budget do you have? I would stay inside Disney....

I love using the buses to get around, so easy and you don't have to pay for parking....A moderate hotel is nice....Carribean Beach, Port Orleans They are anywhere between 130-199 a night.

But staying at a deluxe hotel is great to becuase you have the monarail that can take you to the 2 parks right from your hotel (Contempory, Polynesian (sp wrong I know), Grand Floridian) But they are like 300 a night approx.

Then you have the cheapo rooms (I don't personally like them) Like the Music Resort, etc...they are like 99-150 per night

Again all the prices depends on when you go and I am a Fl resident so the prices might have that discount in them....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto PP - how much are you thinking of spending? There are so many to choose from. Moderate hotels are great - the Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter are both very nice, so is Caribbean Beach Resort. I would recommend against Coronado Springs Resort with a young one (also a moderate), it's a very large hotel and doesn't have a big Disney theme to it (it's primarily a convention center). Mind you, DH and I love it there, but there are other better ones for younger kids.

When are you going? They just announced the 'buy 4 nights, get 3 nights free' through March 27 with moderate, deluxe or disney vacation club rooms, I believe you have to book by the end of December to get the deal. Or the deal for value resorts is 'buy 5 nights, get 2 nights free.'

Have fun planning. Check out www.allears.net and www.disboards.com for great tips, restaurant menus and resort/park photos galore.

SAIF/PAIF absolutely ALWAYS welcome to respond!
  • We havent got a set budget. I would prefer to stay right at Disney. A suite would be nice. It is so hard to see what the hotels are really like from Disneys website. Probably a more luxury hotel. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few years ago, and it was awful! Location was fabulous, but the hotel was old and in need of a major facelift. We will be staying for probably at least a week, as it is a really long trip to make, so as long as its not like tens of thousands just for the hotel room, I dont care.
  • I recommend the All Ears website for info on the hotels & their amenities, as well as lots of pictures: allearsnet.com

I love Disney, but I hate their website, too much nonsense to get to the information you want.

• I recommend the Yacht and Beach Club! Very family friendly hotel with a very neat pool and it's super close to Epcot!
    [IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2i1yu53.jpg[/IMG]
  • I'd suggest one of the hotels that is on the monorail, like the Contemporary or Polynesian. Other options would be the Wilderness Lodge (which is a quick boat ride from the monorail) or any one of the hotels along the Boardwalk.
  • Since you will be with the kids, I think the Wilderness Lodge may be the most fun for them. The Polynesian is also great and I really personally like the Boardwalk.
  • My favorites are the Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge.  Polynesian is great as well, and is on the monorail, but Boardwalk and Y&B are more "developed" theme wise PLUS Y&B has an amazing pool complex that the 11 year old would love. 
  • After reading hundreds of reviews, it seems that the Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge are the most popular overall.  They're also the cheapest of the deluxe resorts which is nice.  We're not staying at the AK Lodge until December so I don't have personal experience yet, but I've heard the only downside is that it's a little further out so it takes longer to get to the parks and back if you're using the buses (although I've heard the same complaints about the value resorts).  At the WL, you can use the buses or the boat.  If you're willing to spend more money, the monorail resorts would be really convenient. 

ETA: The kids might enjoy seeing all of the animals at AKL, especially if you have a savannah view room. 

BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimage Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love the Beach Club, it's in a great location, walking distance to the Boardwalk and Epcot.  They also have Disney Vacation Club suites there, not sure if you can still rent them if you aren't a DVC owner but you could look into it.  The Boardwalk hotel has the same things going for it as Beach Club, great location and DVC, but I've never actually stayed there.
  • www.allearsnet.com has all the photos. maps, pricing, etc for all the hotels.

I'd stay at a deluxe hotel, perferably one on the monorail, if I had a toddler. You can roll the stroller on and off (instead of folding it up to get on a bus). This will connect you to 2 parks - Magic Kingdom and Epcot. You can take a boat from Epcot to Hollywood Studios if you'd prefer doing that then only have to take a bus to Animal Kingdom.

Monorail resorts are Grand Floridian, Contemporary, and Polynesian. All are fab and it just depends on the theme you want to go for.

If you want to save a little money, you could stay at Wilderness Lodge which is a boat ride from Magic Kingdom but a bus to the other parks.

Animal Kingdom is another cheaper deluxe but you have to take a bus anywhere - I haaaaaaaaaaate the buses. or rent a car, which is what I do.

Boardwalk area deluxe hotels are my favorites, but I enjoy Epcot more and don't have children who enjoy Magic Kingdom. All of them are great. Beach and Yacht Club are gorgeous and have a mini water park on site. Boardwalk is fantastic, we are staying in a villa for christmas.

My personal recommendation given your party size is to rent a home away from home villa - like at the Yacht or Beach Club, Contemporary, Boardwalk, etc. You can get a studio - 3 bedroom, with kitchen laundry etc and you're still onsite with hotel amenities.

You'll see them all listed on the allearsnet.com site so you can compare.

• image CanadianGurl:
    We havent got a set budget. I would prefer to stay right at Disney. A suite would be nice. It is so hard to see what the hotels are really like from Disneys website. Probably a more luxury hotel. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel a few years ago, and it was awful! Location was fabulous, but the hotel was old and in need of a major facelift. We will be staying for probably at least a week, as it is a really long trip to make, so as long as its not like tens of thousands just for the hotel room, I dont care.

I was just up at Disneyland this weekend and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel.  They just started a major renovation of the hotel rooms--right now the part that they are working on is stripped down to the bare beams.  The new rooms are going to be very nice  :)

If you want more of a suite type room and you dont have any issues with the prices that Disney charges for their high end resorts, you might want to look into getting a 2 bedroom villa at one of the Vacation Club Resorts.  Saratoga Springs, The Villas at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Villas at the Contemporary are going to be the newest rooms on property.  They have full kitchens, washer and dryer, transportation to the parks and they dont feel like the generic disney hotel room. 

Ive stayed at the Contemporary (which is the oldest hotel on property) and at the Yacht Club.  Neither is anything special nor are they really worth the rack rate that Disney charges--for what they charge I would rather stay at the Peabody Orlando!  The Yacht Club (and the adjoining Beach Club) do have the BEST pool on property and if you are big pool people, this is definitely the place to stay (there are also Disney Vacation Club Villas @ the Beach club).

• We've been to the Wilderness Lodge twice and loved it both times.  Some of the special things:

1.  Each night they had story night for the kids by the fire in the lobby.  Kids would come in the PJ's, and they would read them a story and give them crayons and coloring books.

2.  One day it was rainy so we stuck around the hotel.  The concierge gave the kids a hidden mickey game.  They went all over the hotel following the clues to find the hidden Mickey's.

3.  One night per week, they brought in animals and had a Ranger there talking about it.  My niece got to pet the skunk and they talked all about them.

4.  The housekeeping folks always had the kids beds arranged really cute.  One day we came in and they had piglet reading the room service menu looking for pizza.  The next day their stuffed animals were sliding down the bed into a pool they had made on the floor with a towel and a blue trash can liner...very creative.  The kids liked coming back to the room, almost as much as going to the parks...

• We stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge every trip. You can't beat waking up and watching the animals on the savanna while sitting on your balcony.

If we had to pick another deluxe to stay at it'd probably be the Grand Floridian since its on the monorail.

We have stayed at Pop (a value hotel) and liked it. Its good for kids.

BFP #1 8.16.10 m/c at 5w BFP #2 10.21.10 m/c at 5w4d
    BFP #3 2.15.11 EDD 10.27.11. DD born 10.29.11
    Betas @9dpo = 23 Betas @12dpo= 128.5 Betas @17dpo= 1075 Betas @21dpo =5800s
    @6w hb 114 bpm! @8w4d hb 178 bpm! @12w hb 169 bpm! @18w hb 150 bpm!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • As a kid I loved the Polynesian resort - I still would love to go back there.  When we were older with my family we stayed at the Boardwalk Villas - which were great because they have a kitchen so we would buy cereal for breakfast sometimes.