Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

s/o budgets

I've done and re-done it all in excel...and while the baby won't be TOO much of an added cost, it appears that mommy and daddy will have to cut back on all the expensive fun they have.  = (

I never realized exactly how much you have to cut back to make it on one income.  I guess the good thing is I won't need as many expensive martini nights (well, I assume I would NEED them more, but I won't be able to have them) and that it's totally okay to wear yoga pants all day if they are just going to be spit up on.

Kudos to all of you families who make it work, because it looks like just managing a budget is hard work!

Re: s/o budgets

• You can have martini nights and wine nights at your friends' houses who have kiddos too in order to cut costs but still have fun....and if you bring your kid, then no need for a babysitter! We do alot of wine nights and boardgame nights with our friends who have kids and it is actually alot of fun!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Martini nights at Bar Annie morph into Bunco nights with everyone bringing wine!

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • MGR - you drink with children around?  How dare you ;)

Pook - remember that a baby enters YOUR life and not the other way around.  Sure, HH are a little more difficult but it doesn't mean they have to completely disappear.  As I like to say "Momma's thirsty".

• image houstonkdw:

MGR - you drink with children around?  How dare you ;)

Pook - remember that a baby enters YOUR life and not the other way around.  Sure, HH are a little more difficult but it doesn't mean they have to completely disappear.  As I like to say "Momma's thirsty".

I like the way you think!!! And it is so true....I also like the other poster's response below that a babysitter is less expensive than a divorce. I never feel guilty for going out on dates with the hubs or HHs with my girlfriends bc that's what keeps me sane!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image houstonkdw:

a baby enters YOUR life and not the other way around.  Sure, HH are a little more difficult but it doesn't mean they have to completely disappear.  As I like to say "Momma's thirsty".

YES!!  I seem to catch myself saying "sweetie this is grown-up juice" a lot.  I never wanted to give Baby Drinkie juice b/c of all the sugar, but a li'l bit won't hurt him.  And I keep a bottle of Beefeater in the freezer, for those extra-stressful days. . .(ahem*TEETHING*cough cough)

We have GTG's at my house all the time w/ drinks and kids.  Sometimes we watch a movie, sometimes we play cards, whatever.  Sometimes I cook, or it's potluck or we order in.  Nobody has to round up a sitter, they just load up the babies and diaper bags and come on with it, yoga pants welcome.  It's fun and these kinds of shindigs are what make me not miss my old life anymore. Smile

"If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • Honestly, you'll be too tired to even want to stay up past 10 O'clock for at least 6 months...  We eat out WAY less often, I get my hair done less, I shop less (especially because it means I have to go out with 2 kids), we vacation less...  I'm good for 1 maybe 2 drinks max now.

Yoga pants are comfy...  so are jeans (my 2 staples)...  Flip flops and tennis shoes are standard (wouldn't want to trip holding the baby).. 

All in all...  You get so caught up in the kid(s) that you think about yourself a lot less.  As long as they look super cute and we go out who is going to look at me?

• image bpaullo:

Honestly, you'll be too tired to even want to stay up past 10 O'clock for at least 6 months...  We eat out WAY less often, I get my hair done less, I shop less (especially because it means I have to go out with 2 kids), we vacation less...  I'm good for 1 maybe 2 drinks max now.

Of course I don't yet know from experience, but this is what I would imagine. 

• ditto PP. just this past weekend i had 2 awesome dinners with many, many bottles of wine. they just happened to be at home (ours one night, friends' another) with kids.

i actually save so much money on clothes from not going to work in an office. i still have 3-4 nice outfits for date nights/going out but from day to day i wear skirts and tanks with flip flops or sandals. not having tobuy professional clothes gives me a lot of sway in that area of budget.

and ditto bpaullo about not wanting to stay up late anyway. friday night people were here until 11 and you would have thought we stayed out til bar time by talking to us the next day. lol

but no matter what you have to do, you do need to have your girl time and your date nights. period.

btw- the heights kids group has a babysitting co-op where another mom will come to your house and babysit your child (alone). you earn points for sitting by taking care of other people's kids as frequently or infrequently as you want. several moms just got together and started a spin off where they watch eachother's kids while the others go exercise. good budget saver option

• image bpaullo:

Honestly, you'll be too tired to even want to stay up past 10 O'clock for at least 6 months...  We eat out WAY less often, I get my hair done less, I shop less (especially because it means I have to go out with 2 kids), we vacation less...  I'm good for 1 maybe 2 drinks max now.

Yoga pants are comfy...  so are jeans (my 2 staples)...  Flip flops and tennis shoes are standard (wouldn't want to trip holding the baby).. 

All in all...  You get so caught up in the kid(s) that you think about yourself a lot less.  As long as they look super cute and we go out who is going to look at me?

Ditto. 

It may sound horrible to you now, but really, once you have kids some of the things you once thought you'd die without don't even sound fun anymore.

Wait until going to Kroger alone is a coveted activity. That's how you know you've arrived. =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've cut back a LOT on our "fun" budget.  We rarely go out to eat, the movies, I haven't been to the mall in ages (but really, when you can only shop at one store what is the point??).  But I'm not unhappy.  We rent movies, cook new things at home, just hang out.  It was easy over the summer because DH was taking 4 classes.  And I'm not drinking.  So I think after the kid comes it will be easy to keep up this money-saving lifestyle since we're used to it.  Sure we'll still go out for drinks and dinner and dates, but not near as often as we used to.