Houston Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Would you say anything

I love my neighbor but why does she have to make me feel bad about having problems with breast feeding and that we are only pumping now.

She went on and on how breast milk is best and that I should keep trying.

I already have been upset about this.

Would you say anything?

Re: Would you say anything

• Yes, in fact I have had a friend in this exact situation.  Not being able to breast feed can be emotional for some mothers.  I would just tell her that you are under plenty of stress with a new baby and that stressing about not being able to breast feed will not help. 
  • Yes, I would tell her "I know you mean well but I'm doing the best I can."  Then if she doesn't get it tell her it's none of her business and you don't want to talk about it anymore.
    "If I'm goin' down, I'm goin' down loud." -John Evans Tweet me
  • I would. Something along the lines of, "You may not realize or even intend to but, you're making me feel worse about an already difficult situation"

I do think her encouraging you to keep trying seems like she means well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I understand how upsetting something like that can be.  I'm sure she means well but it sounds like she's crossing the invisible line on unsolicited parenting advice.  If she's otherwise a nice person, she may not realize how you feel or how she comes across.  The PPs had great advice about what to say, and yes, I would indeed say something.

• image SHUVUU:

I would. Something along the lines of, "You may not realize or even intend to but, you're making me feel worse about an already difficult situation"

This. When people behave badly, intentionally or not, I feel you should let them know about it in a civil way if possible.?

• image SHUVUU:

I would. Something along the lines of, "You may not realize or even intend to but, you're making me feel worse about an already difficult situation"

Ditto

• image SHUVUU:

This!  And try hard not to feel bad.  You are doing the best you can do, and that's all you can do.  And, FWIW (I love telling this story) ... my sister and I were both FF and my sister was Valedictorian of her high school class, graduated Magna *** Laude from college, and made law review after her first semester.  She seriously has a genius IQ.  And I didn't turn out too bad either.  :-)

• If it were me I would say something in reply like, "Yes I do understand how important it is which is why I keep hooking up this machine to milk me like a cow so I can give as much breast milk as possible to my baby - any way possible - even through use of unnatural methods like machinery."
    "If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
  • yes, say something-- nicely-- and let her know you'd appreciate her keeping her comments to herself.

i'm sorry you are having trouble-- but you are doing what you feel is best for your child, and that is absolutely the best thing a mother can do.