Philadelphia Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Pet Related

I took one of my dogs for her annual vaccines yesterday and the vet suggested I get her vaccinated for Lyme disease. It's a shot followed by a few boosters, not just a one time deal, so I said I would talk it over and decide. My question is, do any of ya'll have your dogs vaccinated for Lyme disease? It's the disease prevalent in this area? (I'll be in Phoenixville)
[IMG]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/mzovoce/s628552874_122950_682.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Pet Related

• we do it...is it necesary?  idk, but i don't want to take chances.  we are in the park alot.  we also use frontline
    [IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2iwabh1.jpg[/IMG]
  • It is definitely prevalent in the area.  We are in the city but right next to the Wissahickon, and I know at least one of our neighbors does this.
    Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • when i was a rowing coach in nj i did.  jackson was outside with me all the time and running around like a nut in fields, chasing geese, harassing rowers who were slow on timed runs.  lymes is endemic in the area and i thought better to be safe than sorry.

now i am in dc, there is still lymes but jax is now a weekend warrior so i don't worry as much.  i stopped getting him the shot and make sure he is up to date on frontline. 

if we were back in jerz i would probably do it.  if i lived in philly, most likely not.  however, it is just a yearly booster with his annual shots so it may be worth the peace of mind.  my dc vet said not to bother.

• If you are going to take your dog to VF National Park or any of trails that surround Phoenixville (Schuylkill River Trail, Perkiomen Trail, Schuylkill Canal), I strongly recommend getting the vaccine. 

VF Park is overrun with deer (the Lyme carriers) and any domesticated animal should be protected against it.  Lyme is terribly aggressive in dogs and I would hate to have someone lose their pet to a disease they could have prevented.

Not sure how big your dog is, but ours is 50 - 55 lbs and I am pretty sure she only needed one shot.  

• image mzovoce:
    I took one of my dogs for her annual vaccines yesterday and the vet suggested I get her vaccinated for Lyme disease. It's a shot followed by a few boosters, not just a one time deal, so I said I would talk it over and decide. My question is, do any of ya'll have your dogs vaccinated for Lyme disease? It's the disease prevalent in this area? (I'll be in Phoenixville)

I'm in Phoenixville, and I've pulled 3 ticks off my dog this summer.  We weren't even in the woods or a park...Just a standard walk around the neighbrohood.  I would do it.

• My friend and I had a white boxer when we lived in Wayne.  We would check her all the time for ticks and thought it would be so easy to see them on her because she was white and short-haired and she still got Lyme disease :(  She's still alive (just lives with my friend and her husband now) but she gets run down from time to time.  I wish we had her vaccinated. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Yes Lyme Disease is huge in Chester Co.  My husband deals with Tony's vet appts so I have no idea if he gets the LD vaccine.  I got diagnosed with LD last summer and was put on antibotics for a month.  Honestly I had no physical markings I had it.  Only thing i suffered was extreme exhaustion and had daily headaches that never went away.

I would follow erbur's suggestion.  VF Park is overrun with deer and if you plan on taking your dogs there, I would get the vaccine.

DX: Premature ovarian failure
    ::::SAIFW::::: People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute. - Rebecca West
    WE'VE BEEN MATCHED WITH A SWEET LITTLE BOY!! -4/5/11
  • I got the vaccine. I live in the city but take the dog to the Poconos, Ridley Creek State Park, and other places that could have ticks.
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dctxu1.jpg[/IMG]