Delaware Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need suggestions for apts in DE

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the area and are searching for apartments.

I will be working near Cristiana, DE, and he will be working in Philly (downtown)

We are moving from OH, and don't know the areas very well.  We would like to live in delaware, and my dh doesn't mind the commute because he works non-standard hours.

We were thinking about the Claymont/Brandywine area.  Is this a safe area?  We came across "canby park apartments" on Bonwood rd, in Wilmington, and the price is so good I can't help but think it's got a be a bad area.  Anyone familiar with these places?

Re: Need suggestions for apts in DE

• The ones in Canby Park is not a good location.  :(  Sorry...were there any others?

• This isn't claymont/brandywine area, but I used to live here a few years ago:

http://www.apartments.com/partner/summary.aspx?page=summary&property=131177.2&p=AptHL&prvpg=1067&partner=AptHL&prvpg=1067&pdriveit=0&pdrivefrm=1#MenuItem

It is right near Christiana and very close to I-95 so your dh could get to philly easily.

I just loved the central location - close to tons of shopping and restaurants and I always felt safe there.  Plus our apartment was HUGE (I think we had the biggest model).

• Hi!  I usually post on The Knot, but lurk over here. 

Unfortunately, Camby Park is not a safe area, like PP said.  Also, I would not recommend any properties managed by Capano.  Both my dad (10 years ago) and my FI (this past year) had terrible experiences with them- the places just were not kept up, bugs, horrible response times, etc.  They manage alot of apartment properties in DE, so be on the watch.  Some others may have had not so bad experiences, but as a management company, they are not the easiest to deal with.

My FI and I just moved into Buckingham Place, off of 273 on Old Baltimore Pike.  It's extremely close to 95, Rt 1, Christiana- it's very conveniently located, even though it's a little further down than where you asked about.  I HIGHLY recommend it.  It's a townhome, so it has an upstairs and a downstairs.  We moved from Cavalier, and went from 732 sq ft to 828 sq ft, but because this apartment uses space so much more effectively, we gained probably closer to 200 sq ft that's usable.

We are very pleased with the choice we made moving here- it's safe, it has a neighborhood feel (there is actually a neighborhood connected next to it which is perfect for taking walks), things are well taken care of, there is no one living above or below us, we even have some garden space outside our front door.  There are no bugs, the rooms are spacious and laid out nicely, the closet space is awesome...Really, I highly recommend it!  The management has been really great as well- they upgraded us to the one with a redone bathroom at no charge because of me being handicapped and needing one right in front of my parking spot.  They are also putting up a sign so I always have a spot to park in.  They have been very accommodating.

Right now, they are running a special, which was wonderful for us- we were paying $755 for not such nice space at Cavalier, and with the special, we are only paying $800 here for a one bedroom with den.  Usually they are $900.  They also have two and three br available.

Another one you might check out is Village at Fox Point- they have similar type townhomes.  Since my mom is a home infusion nurse and drives for a living, she knows where is safe and where is not, which really helped us narrow our search down.  If you have any questions about any complexes, feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will find out the answer to any question you have!

HTH, GL on your search, and welcome to DE!

• Also, where in OH are you from?  FI's family lives in Kettering outside of Dayton, and both his parents are originally from there.
  • I suggest that you live in northern Delaware. 

Brandywine, Fairfax, Talleyville suburbs area in Wilmington are all excellent.  It will take you about 20 minutes or so to get to Christiana, and he will be closer to Philly.

Send me a PM (private message) and I can email you a ton of udeful info. I grew up in Delaware and we now live outside of Philadelphia.

• Fairfax Apartments are apartments in a cute suburb area in Northern Delaware. I don't have a website.

Greenville Place are nice and in an upscale community.

http://www.midatlanticrealtyco.com/comm_greenville_place.cfm

Camden Valleybrook are pricey, but beautiful and safe. Located in Chadds Ford, PA, minutes from DE/PA border.

http://apartments.camdenliving.com/chadds-ford-pa-apartments/camden-valleybrook/AptPropertyDetail.aspx

• I live near that area!  When I first moved down here 6 years ago, I lived in the Village at Fox Point, and it was great.  The apartments are very nice, and the office was always helpful.  The pool and fitness center were pretty good, and the rent was reasonable.

DH works in northeast Philly (Trevose), and the commute is long, but definitely doable.  You are super close to 95, which is helpful for both of you. 

Good luck with your move!

Happy Spring!.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all your help ladies!  I know have lots of research to do!

Anyone know anything about Brandywine 100?

• I recommend Rockwood Apartments... DH and I lived there for 2 years before buying our home.  It's RIGHT off of Route 1- about a 15-20 min drive to Wilmington (40 mins to Philly).  It's only 5 mins to the Christiana Mall.  Great location on Route 40, and you really get a lot for your money! 

We paid 1080/month for a 2 bed- 2.5 bath 1000+ square foot apt!  They also have a fitness center, pool, and complimentary continental breakfast at the clubhouse Mon-Fri!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Brandywine 100 area is the area I suggested above...anything in Talleyville, Fairfax, North Wilmington area.