Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

hypothyroidism...how to stay healthy and fit?

Hi guys, 

Today I went to my Dr and I may have hypothyroidism. I am devastated...I cant explain it. I dont know much about this except for the fact that a lot of I woman in my family has it and they are all overweight.

Any advice? How can I fight this...?

Thanks a bunch-

Steph 

Re: hypothyroidism...how to stay healthy and fit?

• Hypothyroidism is very easy to control.  Your doctor will prescribe meds (I take Synthroid) and you'll work together to find the correct dosage.  Once you do, you basically just need to take a pill every day for the rest of your life and have periodic blood work to keep an eye on things. 

As for weight gain, yes...untreated hypothyroidism can be related to *slight* weight gain.  Most sources say no more than 5-10 lbs.  Anything more than that is really unrelated to the condition.  And if you're on meds with stable levels, then that's not really a concern anyway.

I didn't gain a single pound due to my thyroid condition.  Not only that, but after my diagnosis I had no trouble losing 25 lbs. by switching to a more healthful diet and incorporating exercise into my schedule.  I've kept that weight off (other than during a pregnancy) for five years now.

Don't panic, don't worry about anything other than treating your condition right now, and you'll be fine.  Good luck!

• Don't be devastated, this is super treatable. I've had it for years. Take meds. You'll be fine.

• Lurker coming out of hiding - 

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but keep your chin up!  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago and since having my meds regulated, feel totally normal.  Just because you are given a diagnosis of hypothyroidism doesn't mean you'll be destined to be overweight.  In fact, with the correct dosage of levothyroxine or Synthroid, you should have no more problems than the average person gaining or losing weight.  Eating a balanced diet and moderate exercise will go far in any health situation.  (In case you care: I am a tiny gal (5'0" 100lbs) and hypothyroidism also runs in my family.  My sister, my maternal aunt, all 3 of my maternal female cousins all have hypothyroidism).  Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.  Good luck :)   

• I'm actually going to the doctor next week to get tested thyroid disease. My mom pointed out tonight that I've been complaining about being tired for months now. Also I've gained at least 5 lbs while training for a half marathon and eating clean, and noticed that my neck is a bit puffy (my dad had a goiter), it's not looking good. 

Luckily thyroid problems are easy to treat, don't worry too much about it! My grandmother had to have her thyroid removed and she's totally fine.

• Like the other ladies have said, your doctor should give you Synthroid which will increase the amount of hormone your thyroid produces. Hypothyroidism is actually quite common in women. The thyroid directly effects your metabolism- hypothyroid= slow metabolism and potential for weight gain, if untreated. But medication should correct the hormone issue and again like everyone else said, a balanced diet and consistent exercise will keep you healthy. Good luck with your treatment!
  • Yup, it's really not a big deal once you get the correct dosage of meds, so please don't be devastated! 

I was diagnosed 6 years ago now, I think, and haven't gained any weight b/c of it.  I actually lost over 20lbs.

• I have had hypothyroid for over 25 years and I have not been devastated by it.  When I am on the right meds I am fine. It may take several months for you to find the right dosage but be patient. Just because other peope you know are overweight doesn't necessarily mean it is because they are hypo. I am overweight but mostly due to the fact that I have made bad food choices, lived on fast food for years and did yo-yo dieting. Now that I am in Weight Watchers, making good food choices and exercising, I have lost 20lbs and am still losing. As other posters have said, hypothyroid is very treatable.
  • Ditto PP, it's nothing to be devastated about.  I am on Levothyroxin, I take it everyday.  Just make sure you are keeping track of your symptoms in case your levels need adjusted.  I also have gained no weight, my main symptoms were fatigue, cold intolerance, and depression/apathy.
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
  • thank you guys so much! I really appreciate the feedback. I was unaware of all these things you mentioned...

you guys really helped me.

=)

Stephany