Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Runners

I've never been on this board so forgive me if I am asking a constantly asked question.

I am training for a 1/2 marathon and am about to do a 10 mile run. I have never taken water with me on a run (I've done 8 so far) which I realize is stupid but I just didn't want to carry a bottle. I purchased a 2 10oz bottle hydration pack that goes around my waist. It felt super comfortable and I think I will like it but I am scared to load it up and take it out because there are of course no returns once used. Any advice/pros/cons you ladies can offer? What do you use? TIA!

My beautiful girls: Hadley 9.28.06, Emmerson 11.29.08 and Pilar 2.07.11, born premature at 33.3 weeks.

Re: Runners

• I have a fuel belt that has 4 8oz bottles. My only complaint is that it's a bit to tight but I think that's me more than the belt. It's nice to have water while I run now.

Could you not fill it up and take it out on a short run just to make sure you are ok with the feel while running?

• I have the 4 bottle hydration belt and I love it.  I usually only carry two bottles for long runs.  I fill one with Gatorade and one with water.  It took a little while to get used to having it on, but its comfortable and i've never had any problems with it.  I'd say fill yours up and take it out.  I don't think you'll want to return it.
  • I agree...go out and give it a try.  It took me a couple of runs to get used to mine, but now it doesn't bother me at all.  I have to wear mine higher than I like b/c it moves up to my natural waist if I don't put it there to start...Good luck!
  • Two suggestions:

1. Run without any water in it for a short distance to see how you like it.

2. Wear it on your long run and if you don't like it, sell it on Craigslist or eBay. I bought a nearly new fuel belt at a yard sale one time for $5 and sold it on eBay for more than $20.

• I don't wear anything unless it's 15 miles or more. Try out your belt. If you like it use it. If you hate it, maybe you'll only need it for really long runs.

GL

• I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer handheld hydration systems to belts - something to think about if you try the belt and don't like it.  My faves are here.
    Blog:
    Blog: Eat, Drink and Run
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Last Race: California International Marathon - December 4, 2011 - 3:29:18, 7:59 pace
    Next Race: ARun for Young 5K - January 7, 2012
  • I've always hated fuel belts and prefer to stash water bottles along my route on really hot days. Lots of people like 'em though. You really have to try it for yourself.
    <a href="http://www.lifeintheatl.blogspot.com">Follow me to AtlantaRunningMom.com</a><p><p><a href="http://marathonbars.com">Stay on. Keep on. - Team MARATHON Bars 2012</a><p><p>[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/14kd5r4.jpg[/IMG]<BR>[IMG]http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u501/lbellxc/NYCMarathonBadge-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • imageshelby.ann:
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I prefer handheld hydration systems to belts - something to think about if you try the belt and don't like it.  My faves are here.

I have a hand held one too.  It's ok.  It did take a few runs to get used to it.  I like the little zipper pouch it has to put my cell phone in it.  :)

• I have 4 10oz. hydration pack and I love it.  That is what I use on my long runs.
  • I have a Nathan one that holds (2) 10oz. bottles, and I really like it.  It took a run or two to get used to, to be quite honest, so don't give it up entirely if you don't like it right away.

I personally don't care for carrying it in my hand, but that's just me.

Give it a try!

• 10 miles is the longest I run and I don't take any water.  I haven't run that in extreme heat, so that might change that answer. 
  • I prefer hand held hydration.  Fuel belts always cause some sort of chafing for me.  I'm used to running w/drink now anyway, so it doesn't bother me in the least. 
  • I prefer hand held hydration too. I have one of the Nathan ones.
    Caroline (5), Kyle (3), Lucy (01/04/12)

2012 Goal: working towards pre-pregnancy speed!
    04/15 KI Metric Marathon/16.3 m (2:05:55, 7:43 pace)
    05/06 Frederick 13.1 (1:41:09)
    11/04 NYCM
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the same type of belt that holds 2 10-oz bottles. I love it. I take it with me on all of my long runs now.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Runner's World (September issue) did an article comparing hyrdation systems for long runs. It actually recommended the hand-held water bottle (as a pp mentioned). I can't remember the brand but I'm sure you could look up the article online-- runnersworld.com