Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Are You Supposed to Give Babies Water?

I'm not really sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I truly do not know the answer, and I was too embarrassed to ask in my childbirth classes...

Confused 

Re: Are You Supposed to Give Babies Water?

• Depends on the age.  Generally under 6 months, no - they're supposed to be taking in all of their fluids as breastmilk or formula, they need the calories.   Even up to a year, water should be given as something to taste, and the baby's main fluids should still be breastmilk or formula.  Hope that helps!
  • Not really since it can throw off their electrolyte balance especially when they are really young. I do give a little water when they're on solids though, but generally formula or breast milk is preferred.
  • We didn't give DD any water until we started solid food. Since their diet is liquid, I wanted to make sure she wasn't getting "full" on water. I have no idea what the "real" answer is, though.

FWIW, I don't think this is a stupid question at all :)

• We didn't until 6 mos. But if you ask my MIL, we were awful parents for not giving it to her. But I think it's best not too. You want most of what they take in to be high in calories and nutrients early on.

• I would assume no, but wanted to throw this out there:  I remember hearing a story on the news 6+ mos ago about a mom who was watering down formula and I think the baby got water poisioning or something - I think they aren't supposed to have it til they are older. 
  • Generally no.  But I will tell you this:  I gave DD and give DS a dropper-ful of water every night to help with constipation.  With the pedi's blessing (and at his suggestion actually).  They do fine with it.  But it's a very small amount.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• image silly.goose:
    I would assume no, but wanted to throw this out there:  I remember hearing a story on the news 6+ mos ago about a mom who was watering down formula and I think the baby got water poisioning or something - I think they aren't supposed to have it til they are older. 

I actually put this is my response, but then looked up the story and I don't know enough about it to say whether there was too much water or not enough nutrients. Apparently the baby was severely malnurished because they were not getting the amount of formula they needed.

• I always heard no most of the first year unless it's very hot out & they are loosing a lot of fluids/getting dehydrated...they need the calories from milk. 
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... image Designing a Life Blog
  • OMG Jen!  Hey - it's Patty, Kristin's friend!
  • image MrsRxMx:
    OMG Jen!  Hey - it's Patty, Kristin's friend!

hahaha, so you're a colorado "nestie"?

• I give DS some water in a sippy with meals, but that's about it.  He still gets his normal 24-30 oz. or so, of formula every day. 

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/209j7kh.jpg[/IMG]
  • Not until a year, it can really mess up their electrolytes
    ~Dana & Horace~*~Married July 10th, 2006~
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Photo courtesy of Ann Goldenberg Photography
  • I think I may have put a bit in a sippy cup once he was at least 6-8 months. I nursed full time but I wanted him to start learning how to use a sippy cup. I only did a couple of times. Now he drinks it a lot.
    Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85