Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

South Beach Diet here I come

I need to do something asap,  I'm hugh!! We went to a wedding this weekend and all the pixs of me are bad. I look hugh next to all my skinny friends that happen babies around the same time, I did.  I need motivation!!!!!!! Anyone do the SBD???

Re: South Beach Diet here I come

• I did SBD before my wedding. Very effective. Very hard for people to keep up though.

Have you considered WW or just using Spark People to track your calories. And good ol' fashion exercise.

I personally do WW. I have lost 57.6 pounds since March of this year. Not as fast as SBD, but then again, I can't have birthday cake and deep fried chinese food on SBD.

• Ditto PP.  The first two weeks of the diet are tough.  I lost 8 lbs in those two weeks and managed to keep it off, but I'm happier now where I can just watch what I eat and not feel guilty if I have high carb food.
  • fad diets are hard to maintain.  you should try to slowly incorporate a new frame of mind and a heathier way of overall eating while also fitting a balance of exercise into your life.  even though you feel "huge", the weight isn't going to fall off overnight. 
  • image marsh127:
    Ditto PP.  The first two weeks of the diet are tough.  I lost 8 lbs in those two weeks and managed to keep it off, but I'm happier now where I can just watch what I eat and not feel guilty if I have high carb food.

As stated here, if you follow through with trying SBD, you may want to let people know.  If you deprived me of carbs for 2 weeks, I'd be the meanest, nastiest b!tch you've seen in your life. LOL  So it might be good to give your CWs, DH, or others you're around daily a heads-up.

• image Paula051907:

image marsh127:
    Ditto PP.  The first two weeks of the diet are tough.  I lost 8 lbs in those two weeks and managed to keep it off, but I'm happier now where I can just watch what I eat and not feel guilty if I have high carb food.

As stated here, if you follow through with trying SBD, you may want to let people know.  If you deprived me of carbs for 2 weeks, I'd be the meanest, nastiest b!tch you've seen in your life. LOL  So it might be good to give your CWs, DH, or others you're around daily a heads-up.

TRUE that! :-) Haha.

Tracking calories/ macronutrients/ exercising might be a more sustainable approach.

• I, personally, do not have any experience with this diet but I have heard that if you go off it you will gain the weight back faster than you lost it.  Maybe try sparkpeople for tracking calories and making time for exercise each day.

And it should be huge, not hugh.  Hugh is a name.

My Running Blog!

2012: Running & Race Accomplishments:

2-12-12: Riverview Winter Fest 4 mile, 34:59 8:45 pace - 23 weeks pregnant
    2-29-12: Leap Year 4 mile, 36:45 9:11 pace - 25.5 weeks pregnant
    3-11-12: Corktown 5K, 28:33 9:13 pace - 27 weeks pregnant
    3-25-12: Rock CF Island Half Marathon, 2:11:03 10:00 pace - 29 weeks pregnant
    4-16-12 Boston Marathon, deferring to 2013
    8-11-12: Run thru Hell 10 mile or 4.8 mile
    9-30-12: Brooksie Way Half Marathon
    10-21-12: Grand Rapids Marathon
    11-22-12: Detroit Turkey Trot 10K

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I tried the SBD twice and both times I lost 12 lbs in the first two weeks. However, it's a very hard diet to keep up with and as some others have stated your personality may change. I was very grumpy during those first two weeks. But if you're strong enough to stick with it, once you start to incorporate good carbs you'll adjust.

Good luck!

• The first two weeks are tough.  Technically, you could skip them; you just wouldn't go through the "detox" phase or lose all of the water weight, which some people find motivating.  But it's not real, sustainable loss anyway so no big deal.

Phases two and three are not a "fad diet" if done correctly.  And you never "go off" South Beach.  It's a lifelong change in the way you eat.  You choose lean proteins and avoid processed, refined foods.  If you switched to eating clean, which is heavily advocated on this board, you'd accomplish the same thing without the "South Beach Diet" label.

I did South Beach about five and a half years ago.  I lost 25 lbs. and have kept it off (not counting a pregnancy during that time, but I got back to PP weight within three months).  And I don't have any trouble keeping up with this way of eating.  I even have a small dessert most nights so I'm in no way depriving myself.

• image Dragonfly08:

The first two weeks are tough.  Technically, you could skip them; you just wouldn't go through the "detox" phase or lose all of the water weight, which some people find motivating.  But it's not real, sustainable loss anyway so no big deal.

Phases two and three are not a "fad diet" if done correctly.  And you never "go off" South Beach.  It's a lifelong change in the way you eat.  You choose lean proteins and avoid processed, refined foods.  If you switched to eating clean, which is heavily advocated on this board, you'd accomplish the same thing without the "South Beach Diet" label.

I did South Beach about five and a half years ago.  I lost 25 lbs. and have kept it off (not counting a pregnancy during that time, but I got back to PP weight within three months).  And I don't have any trouble keeping up with this way of eating.  I even have a small dessert most nights so I'm in no way depriving myself.

Ditto this, although I don't recommend that you skip the first two weeks of the program, which are purposefully designed to help you break your carb addiction.  Unless you go cold turkey, you could find it terribly difficult to resist carbs later on.  Few people can cheat without succumbing to many of the problems that drove them to low-carb to begin with.

I agree that it's a way of eating, not a diet, and really is much healthier than many diets out there.  Low-carb gets a bad rap because people think it's all meat and cheese, but if you actually read up on SBD, Atkins, etc., and follow the programs as written, you will see that there is a strong emphasis on whole foods, vegetables, and overall healthy eating.

Good luck!