International Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Proof of Relationship

Have you ever had to show that you and DH/FI/SO are in a "durable relationship"?  Please tell me what (besides a marriage certificate) one can use to prove your relationship is legit.

Re: Proof of Relationship

• We had to for dh's visa. We got 3 notarized letters from family/friends, I printed out tons and tons of emails from when we first met, tons of pictures, bills with both of us on it, and our wedding invites.
    DS 02.10.2008 * DD 04.05.2011

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/jhzsar.jpg[/IMG]
  • We used e-mails dating back to 2001 that I used to psychotically print out, insurance documents with both our names on them, the title to our car, pictures, our lease. You can always get affadavits from other people stating that your relationship is real, too.
  • Utility bills, loan applications etc in both names?
  • Since we aren't married they made us show our lease, our bank statement and he has to sign some really long document in German stating he was willing to take on the responsibility of me.
  • These are awesome, keep them coming.  I'm thinking all of our bills have always been in one name or the other, hmm.... 

Somebody mentioned old wedding invites addressed to both of them.  Without fail people address their wedding invites to Rita Wise + Boyfriend.  I find it kind of insulting that they don't bother to find his last name and just tack him on as an afterthought.

• A (nice, lol) co-worker of mine had to do this, she gave them emails, photos, utility bills on both their names, letters from friends & co-workers testifying they are in a relationship, etc.
  • We gave them photographs, joint bank acct/credit card statements, bills with both our names on them, house deed/paperwork...if I think of something else I will let you know.
  • imagewise_rita:

These are awesome, keep them coming.  I'm thinking all of our bills have always been in one name or the other, hmm.... 

Somebody mentioned old wedding invites addressed to both of them.  Without fail people address their wedding invites to Rita Wise + Boyfriend.  I find it kind of insulting that they don't bother to find his last name and just tack him on as an afterthought.

About the bills, it also works if you have one say for electricity on your name for a certain month & another on his name for the same period for say the phone. What will matter is that it's being billed at the same address at the same time.  It might not prove relationship per say, but it proves living together.

• Pictures of two of you together - but also pictures of you with the other's family, or your families together (or friends, but familys are better). I guess it makes it seem more legit if you have photographic proof of introducing him to your parents and vice-versa.

• Raz I was just thinking I should email my dad to get old Christmas cards.  For the last several years DBF has made an apperance on our yearly card.  Great thinking!  
  • For the green card, we used our lease with both names on it, life insurance policies that showed each other as the beneficiary, joint tax returns, and joint bank accounts.

• Pictures, cards, joint bank statements, joint tax returns, joint health insurance cards.
  • imageLAChurch:
    Pictures, cards, joint bank statements, joint tax returns, joint health insurance cards.

Ohmygosh your son is so cute!

Vacation
  • popping in for a second while T naps ( a rare occasion!)

My first visa app to the UK (done via the consulate in NYC) was denied as I was applying as a dependent to my DH, who was my fi at the time.  We brought all the requisite proof that we had been living together for over 2 years (utility bills, etc.) but were told by the very snotty woman who helped us that "you're either married or you're not" when we said we were engaged. She gave me a hard time that all the documents I brought proved that we lived together, but not that we were anything more than roommates.  So make sure you have LOTS of personal stuff.  When I went back the second time (and was helped by someone much friendlier) I had a huge binder with photos, wedding invitations addressed to us, our contract for our wedding venue, an invitation to an engagement brunch my SIL & BIL threw for us, etc.  The personal stuff is very important for establishing you're not just roommates.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For the green card, the lawyer said not to bother including loads of pictures and emails (I think we sent two wedding photos). Joint credit card statements, bank accounts and utility bills are much more convincing as far as the government is concerned.

I actually can't believe how smooth the application process has been so far!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagefilleviolette:

For the green card, the lawyer said not to bother including loads of pictures and emails (I think we sent two wedding photos). Joint credit card statements, bank accounts and utility bills are much more convincing as far as the government is concerned.

I guess it goes to show you that different gov'ts think different things are impt.... (see my post above, saying the opposite was my experience with the UK!)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebeannie:
    imagefilleviolette:

For the green card, the lawyer said not to bother including loads of pictures and emails (I think we sent two wedding photos). Joint credit card statements, bank accounts and utility bills are much more convincing as far as the government is concerned.

I guess it goes to show you that different gov'ts think different things are impt.... (see my post above, saying the opposite was my experience with the UK!)

Oh yeah, I'm sure it's totally different in the UK! For the US, DH and I spent so much time picking out photos of us in Sydney, in Edinburgh, at our wedding and our lawyer just laughed at us. He was like "The government doesn't care that you like to travel."  Good thing we've had joint bank accounts in three different countries :)

BabyFruit Ticker