Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

DH's Closet

I started cleaning out DH's closet and came across some 1980's hammer time pants...omgoodness. I thought he had thrown them away. He knowss they just will not come back, but he continues to hope.

Does anyone else's husband have a piece of clothing you are just buying time before you throw it away or at least pray he will not pull out and wear?

Doctor Title Is Closer image

Re: DH's Closet

• No, I just throw out whatever is bad or put in the goodwill bag. He doesn't notice.
  • No.  My H has his own closet space and, as long as it doesn't overflow into my closet space, he can keep whatever he damn well pleases in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both of us have a lot of clothing that we just don't ever wear.  I am actually more interested in getting rid of some of the clothes in his regular rotation that are on their last leg.  I don't think I could get away with just throwing them out, but maybe just maybe if they developed mysterious stains he might get rid of them.

• I'd never go through my husband's clothes or throw anything of his out. I'd be PO'd if he did that to me, and god knows, I'm wasting more of our closet space than he is!

He did have a pair of kahki cargo pants that he wore excessively that I hated, which I finally convinced him to replace and throw out. I do not like swishy cargo pants.

• Ugh.  My husband -- bless his heart -- is king of the 1980's.  Many is the time I've wanted to chuck out some weird, outdated item.

However, I never throw away his stuff without his permission.  I would be livid if he made a decision to toss something of mine without asking.  We each have our closet space, and if he chooses to fill his with '80s relics, he just has a crowded closet -- no skin off my nose.

• My FI has the most offensive shirt that reads "Blaze Ya Dead Homie." It has a picture of a big man with his face painted doing some gangsta pose.

I've tried hiding it on him but somehow he always finds it and wears it. He'll come out of the bedroom wearing it after finding it and say "Do you know how it got behind the storage bins?"

I always plead the fifth.

• My H still has clothes from middle school (he is going to be 29 in a couple  months).  The thing is he still wears them.  His parents had this weird idea of buying clothes super big so he would grow into them.  He has finally grown into his Tall Large shirts and x-large shirts now I am working on having him donate them and update his clothes to modern day fashions.  It is working but we go through the closets every 3 months and do a little at a time.
    T Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WHY are you cleaning out your 's closet?

• My husband is pretty well-dressed and purges his own closet when the need arrises.  That said, the only time I even go in his closet is if I'm hanging up some of his clothes that I happened to wash.
  • I think some people took your post to a serious level, about why you should or shouldn't clean out DH's stuff. I think you were just polling to see what ridiculous crap other people's DH's have, so I'm going to answer that.

?

DH has a t-shirt that says "rockin in Ramallah" I think it's absurd. He LOVES to wear it. I LOVE to hide it. ?

• image oiive:

My FI has the most offensive shirt that reads "Blaze Ya Dead Homie." It has a picture of a big man with his face painted doing some gangsta pose.

I've tried hiding it on him but somehow he always finds it and wears it. He'll come out of the bedroom wearing it after finding it and say "Do you know how it got behind the storage bins?"

I always plead the fifth.

LMBO.......Pleading the fifth is a good one.

• image ictoana:

Both of us have a lot of clothing that we just don't ever wear.  I am actually more interested in getting rid of some of the clothes in his regular rotation that are on their last leg.  I don't think I could get away with just throwing them out, but maybe just maybe if they developed mysterious stains he might get rid of them.

Mysterious Stains......good one...

DH hates wearing anything that has a stain,mmmm

• I think some people took your post to a serious level, about why you should or shouldn't clean out DH's stuff. I think you were just polling to see what ridiculous crap other people's DH's have, so I'm going to answer that.

DH has a t-shirt that says "rockin in Ramallah" I think it's absurd. He LOVES to wear it. I LOVE to hide it.  

Thank You Rebbeca!!! you got it exactly!!   Cool

• Yes!!! quite a few things (he will not throw them out). He keeps a very neat closet, however; he's overdue for a shake-down!

DH has a t-shirt that says "rockin in Ramallah" I think it's absurd. He LOVES to wear it. I LOVE to hide it.  

some people got way serious! Lol

My DH doesn't care if I throw out donate stuff. We are not a keep stuff kind of couple, if I am not using it I toss/donate i I hate extra crap around. I clean my own area (we share a closest) regularily but if he ever found anything still around from 1988 or with a big hole in it that he had not seen me wear in 3+ years I would have no problem with him doing the same to my clothes.

• Okay -- I get it that what the OP was looking for was a funny discussion of various weird DH clothing.  Yeah, sure, probably everyone's DH has some bizarre clothes that are eyeroll-worthy.  Honestly, for my DH, I can't even narrow it down to a single item.  I'm just happy that I managed to get him out of jean shorts and into khaki's at last. 

But the phrases, "I started cleaning out DH's closet" and "you are just buying time before you throw it away" certainly made me think that the OP's assumption was that it's normal for wives to secretly purge their husband's closets of unwanted, outdated, and ugly clothes.  DH's funny clothing aside, I just don't think that's a great assumption to make.

• Dh owned some hot pink gym shorts when we started dating.  His mom bought them for him, and he refused to get rid of them "because they were perfectly good".

I throw his stuff away all the time.  He never misses it and it is easier for him if I just deal with it, bc he gets mentally stuck and can't make decisions to get rid of stuff. 

• DH used to have these gym shorts that were wayyyyy too big, i hated them!. As in a 350 pound man could wear them with room to spare (DH is about 180).

I was plotting the demise of these pants, but thankfully, he lost them all on his own accord, so I never crossed that dilemma. 

image Military Newlyweds FAQ Button
    I changed my name
  • image CottonPanties:

Yes!!! quite a few things (he will not throw them out). He keeps a very neat closet, however; he's overdue for a shake-down!

LMBO!!!!!!! sing it Cotton...I'm there with you...

• image suzymarie:

Dh owned some hot pink gym shorts when we started dating.  His mom bought them for him, and he refused to get rid of them "because they were perfectly good".

I throw his stuff away all the time.  He never misses it and it is easier for him if I just deal with it, bc he gets mentally stuck and can't make decisions to get rid of stuff. 

omgoodness Suzy...you dont have a pic of the hot pink??? darn..I'd pay yo see those...lolol

• My husband has a red Poison teeshirt with pictures of all four Poison band members on it, AND the sleeves are cut off with jagged edges.  I have forbidden him to wear it when we're going to be sitting face to face for a while (like when we're playing board games), because the creepy band members look like girls with their full makeup on, and I hate staring at them.  Thankfully, he never wears it out of the house.
  • image neverblushed:

But the phrases, "I started cleaning out DH's closet" and "you are just buying time before you throw it away" certainly made me think that the OP's assumption was that it's normal for wives to secretly purge their husband's closets of unwanted, outdated, and ugly clothes.  DH's funny clothing aside, I just don't think that's a great assumption to make.

Yeah. To me this is like when my guy friends are looking to joke about how dumb their SO's are with money or driving or something. So you want to be funny... the underlying theme is still rather sexist to me.
  • image jinksd1:
    My husband has a red Poison teeshirt with pictures of all four Poison band members on it, AND the sleeves are cut off with jagged edges.  I have forbidden him to wear it when we're going to be sitting face to face for a while (like when we're playing board games), because the creepy band members look like girls with their full makeup on, and I hate staring at them.  Thankfully, he never wears it out of the house.

Jinksd, I remember those shirts...wow your husband really did hold on to an oldee. wow.

• image OceanRunner:
    image neverblushed:

Yeah. To me this is like when my guy friends are looking to joke about how dumb their SO's are with money or driving or something. So you want to be funny... the underlying theme is still rather sexist to me.

Anyway....keep them coming ladies if you have them..I didnt realize so many guys hang onto things...

• some guys just don't clean out their closet that often that's why those old stuff (shirts and jeans) just pile up. although some really are very OC and try to arrange and clean it all the time.

• DH is also one who still wears clothes from HS..he's 29.  We go through our closets frequently and donate clothes, but there are just some things he won't get rid of.  His personal favorite is a really scrubby looking t-shirt with pictures of the looney toons dressed up as the south park characters.  Think Porky Pig playing Cartman.  I mean, ok...it's funny....and he does get a lot of comments when he wears it....but the thing is easily 10-15 years old!
  • image broccolitree:
    No.  My H has his own closet space and, as long as it doesn't overflow into my closet space, he can keep whatever he damn well pleases in there.

This!

But I do greatly desire to throw some of H's crap away.  He has this immense t-shirt collection, some with pit stains (ew) and others where the letters/design have just faded away.  You can't imagine how many t-shirts a person can own until you've done some of my H's laundry. 

Still, I think soon I will ask him to get rid of the really old ones in exchange for some new clothes.  He has no sense of fashion whatsoever and I think he'd go on wearing these old clothes forever if I didn't say something.

• I started cleaning out DH's closet and came across some 1980's hammer time pants

Yes, our comprehension skills are dead on.

• I agree with Ocean, that the way this has been presented is rather sexist. 'Those silly men don't know how to dress themselves!'.. and I too am weirded out by the whole 'cleaning out your partner's closet' thing. I would be livid if he went through my stuff and hid or trashed or tried to throw away anything.

In any case, FI doesn't really have any bad clothes that I hate. He dresses better than I do, lol.

Are you serious???
  • My husband is an adult and fully capable of cleaning out his own closet and drawers. He's been guilty of hanging onto things that no longer fit him for far too long, but if I'm going through my stuff to make a goodwill run he'll usually start going through his stuff too. I would be extremely hurt and offended if he decided to just clean out my closet and throw stuff out at random b/c he didn't like it.