Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone know the advantages of bagless vs. bag vacs? Is it just the cost of the bag?

I have always had a bagged vac.  I don't mind buying one if I don't have to deal with cleaning out the dust from my vacuum.  I have allergies and I would rather not touch the dust.  That being said... I see a lot of bagless... is there an advantage?  Anyone know?  I'm in the market for a good economical vacuum.  The Eureka Smart Boss was recommended to me.  Any thoughts??

TIA!

Re: Anyone know the advantages of bagless vs. bag vacs? Is it just the cost of the bag?

• I have a Eureka Smart Boss and love it!!! I have never owned a bagless so I can't help you there.
    TTC #1 since 6/10 BFP #1: 8/10, ectopic pregnancy BFP #2: 6/6/11, EDD 2/14/12, DS born 2/8/12 via c-section Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks.

Any bagless owners out there???

• I have a bagless and I like it for several reasons, but not having to buy bags and seeing when it is full are 2 advantages.  I always tended to us a bag longer than I should.  With my Dyson, I empty it everytime I vacuum.  If you have allergies though a bagless may not be fore you unless you can have someone else empty it for you.  I would also recommend emptying it outside or in your garage.

• Thanks Kristyn. 

I was wondering if there was an allergy advantage.  I guess not. 

Good to know!  Cool

Thanks a bunch!!!

• Bagless are generally not recommended for people with allergies.  Most bags will trap the dust so that you don't have to come in contact with it. 

That said after years of dealing with bags I finally bought a bagless vacuum cleaner.  I have horrible allergies so it sucks to empty it (which it seems I am doing three times a day), but it's a great vacuum (Bissell Healthy Home) so I'll deal with it for now.  If I'm not careful a little bit of dust comes up at me when I'm emptying it, but honestly I seemed to have the same problem changing the bags on my old vacuums. 

One of these days I'm hoping to get a Miele canister.   They do use bags, but they are designed to seal off when you open the canister so that you don't come into contact with the dust.

• Thanks, Lisa!  That was really helpful!  Cool
  • I have a hoover windtunnel bagless. I has a lid so no dust comes out until you tip it up over the bin.
  • image LisainNC:

Bagless are generally not recommended for people with allergies.? Most bags will trap the dust so that you don't have to come in contact with it.?

That said after years of dealing with bags I finally bought a bagless vacuum cleaner.? I have horrible allergies so it sucks to empty it (which it seems I am doing three times a day), but it's a great vacuum (Bissell Healthy Home) so I'll deal with it for now.? If I'm not careful a little bit of dust comes up at me when I'm emptying it, but honestly I seemed to have the same problem changing the bags on my old vacuums.?

One of these days I'm hoping to get a Miele canister. ? They do use bags, but they are designed to seal off when you open the canister so that you don't come into contact with the dust.

i have a Miele Antares canister vac, and i really can't rave about it enough. ?It's small, lightweight, works awesome..... changing the bag is soooooo easy, and doesn't make a mess at all. ?i love it, and definitely recommend it.?

Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker
  • image smurfette2682:
    image LisainNC:

Bagless are generally not recommended for people with allergies.  Most bags will trap the dust so that you don't have to come in contact with it. 

That said after years of dealing with bags I finally bought a bagless vacuum cleaner.  I have horrible allergies so it sucks to empty it (which it seems I am doing three times a day), but it's a great vacuum (Bissell Healthy Home) so I'll deal with it for now.  If I'm not careful a little bit of dust comes up at me when I'm emptying it, but honestly I seemed to have the same problem changing the bags on my old vacuums. 

One of these days I'm hoping to get a Miele canister.   They do use bags, but they are designed to seal off when you open the canister so that you don't come into contact with the dust.

i have a Miele Antares canister vac, and i really can't rave about it enough.  It's small, lightweight, works awesome..... changing the bag is soooooo easy, and doesn't make a mess at all.  i love it, and definitely recommend it. 

Thanks for the tip!  A few months back I agonized over which Miele to get, but when my Hoover blew I had to get something quick and didn't have the money for one right then.  I scoured the internet trying to figure out the difference of all the models.  Now that I am back to wanting one I have forgotten all of the research I did and I can't remember which models I liked.  lol

• I have allergies and I have no problems emptying the Dyson.  I always do it in a paper bag in the garage.  Then I just fold over the bag and put it in the trash...

Oh, to answer your question.  I wanted bagless because I never remembered to buy bags and would end up using a bag way too long.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• image katie4253:

I have allergies and I have no problems emptying the Dyson.  I always do it in a paper bag in the garage.  Then I just fold over the bag and put it in the trash...

Oh, to answer your question.  I wanted bagless because I never remembered to buy bags and would end up using a bag way too long.

This.  I also have bad allergies and asthma.  I love that with the Dyson I can see when its full and I just push the button while standing over the trash can to empty it.  

• I LOVE my bagless.

We have 2 dogs and when we used to live in a rental house (100% carpet) I would empty the canister at least 4 times while vacuuming because I could see how full of hair it was getting. With a bag vacuum, I bet I'd go 5-10 times before I'd change the bag. I just like being able to see what my vacuum is actually picking up.

Now we live in a house that only has carpeting in 3 rooms, so I don't have to empty it each time I use the vacuum, but I still love my bagless!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have a bagless and like it.  I like that I don't have to buy bags and knowing when it's full.  It seems like it fills so quickly with having a long haired dog (and new carpet that sheds like crazy) that we'd be poor if I had to put a new bag in every time I had to empty the canister. 
  • image smurfette2682:
    image LisainNC:

Bagless are generally not recommended for people with allergies.  Most bags will trap the dust so that you don't have to come in contact with it. 

i have a Miele Antares canister vac, and i really can't rave about it enough.  It's small, lightweight, works awesome..... changing the bag is soooooo easy, and doesn't make a mess at all.  i love it, and definitely recommend it. 

i have this exact vacuum (miele antares) and HIGHLY recommend it!   dh and i have horrible allergies and this vacuum has done the trick for us as far as airborne dust while vacuuming and dealing with the bags.

• I grew up with bagged vacuums and never really had a problem with them.  I also have severe allergies (as in weekly shots).  Then the first time I moved out on my own I was given a brand new bagless vac.  Don't remember the brand, a common one though.  Absolutely hated it!  it was the worst thing ever, a PITA to empty as you had to turn it upside to empty out the top, the filter was disgusting immediately and always leaking large amounts of dust into the air once I took the canister off to empty.  I swore I'd never buy one again.  Fast forward to 4 years ago and I bought my first Dyson, a bagless vac.  Absolutely love it.  I never have to deal with the crap I had to on my other bagless.  This one empties out the bottom and i just push a button and the "trap door" releases and out goes the crap into the garabage can.  I'd have to say based on my limited experience with non-Dyson bagless vacs, I wouldn't recommend them.