Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

3 YO complains of being tired....

DD gave up the nap almost a year ago.  By that I mean it is impossible to get her down for a nap anymore but she will fall asleep in the car if we are away during her "old nap time".  I can then carry her in the house and she will sleep for 2 hours.

Occasionally she says "I'm tired".  She normally goes to bed at 8:30 and sleeps until 8. 

So here is the question...should I be worried that she sometimes complains of being tired?  Do other children this age complain of the same thing?  I am a natural worrier and was wondering if I should have her iron level checked, etc.

On the occasion she complains of feeling tired I can usally explain it away due to a restless sleep, late night or waking early on the day she stays with Grandma.

Any suggestions?

Re: 3 YO complains of being tired....

• Maybe push her bedtime back earlier and see if that helps.

Even if she won't nap, maybe just have quiet time during her old nap time. Put her in her room, keep it dim. She needs to stay in bed. She can play quietly in bed, but she needs to stay there.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • You could try posting this on the parenting board they might have a better answer.  For my 3yo, that would be crazy for him to say.  He has more energy than we know what to do with it.  I would personally take her to the ped and get her checked.  Has she had a tick bite?  Anything unusual?  Normal healthy meals and not just sugar highs?  It couldn't hurt to get her checked for your peace of mind :)
  • image susiederkins:

Even if she won't nap, maybe just have quiet time during her old nap time. Put her in her room, keep it dim. She needs to stay in bed. She can play quietly in bed, but she needs to stay there.

This. ?

I do this with my bonus kids when they are sick or obviously tired, but are fighting in. ?I tell them that they need quiet time -- they may read or play in their beds, but they have to stay there for an hour. ?They have always fallen asleep, because their bodies will take over from their over-stimulated brains.?

I also think a check-up sounds reasonable. ?A change in diet or eating patterns (more frequent, smaller meals) might be necessary to give her a more solid energy source during the day.

Finally, kids go through weird growth patterns. ?I have been able to see a pattern in my bonus daughter, now 6. ?She is a petite child -- very slender. ?She is also a self-modulating eater...she eats until she is full and that is it. ?But when she is about to go through a growth spurt, she will eat like a horse -- to the point that you can't figure out how her body can hold all the food. ?She is hungry and as long as what she is feasting on is healthy (the protein source at dinner or veggies as a snack) I have no problems with it. ?My new phrase when she tells me she wants more food is "You are obviously eating for two more inches!"

• image susiederkins:

Maybe push her bedtime back earlier and see if that helps.

?

this!

My 3 Y.O goes to sleep anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30. ?6:30 is a bit early but on those really active days she needs the extra sleep...however she is definitely asleep by 7:30 every night. ?DD doesn't nap anymore, if she did she wouldn't go to sleep until 10pm.

• Complaining of being tired? If it happened often enough for me to note it, I'd probably call the dr. Fatigue is a sign of a number of ailments, some serious; and I wouldn't think this was completely normal.

Not saying she's sick; it's just something I'd have checked out.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • Ditto susiederkins.

Both my kids napped part of the way through their 3 y/o year, but not every day.  They would go through ups and downs when they seemed to need more sleep.

"Quiet time" in the afternoon may be a good plan until your DD is really ready to go all day. 

• I learned from my 3 YO that "I'm tired" actually means "I'm bored."  I have  had this same conversation with other moms.  We are on the every other day nap schedule. 

• image Bunny0705:

I learned from my 3 YO that "I'm tired" actually means "I'm bored."  I have  had this same conversation with other moms.  We are on the every other day nap schedule. 

I would agree to this. a 3 YO may sometimes have the difficulty of distinguishing getting tired from being bored. maybe it's just boredom she feels. try to give her much attention but not to the point of spoiling her. 

• She probably does still need a nap every once in awhile.  Just b/c she refuses to go down doesn't mean she doesn't need a nap.  She is just refusing to listen to her body whenever she can manage that.  My dh would not take naps after 2 YO either.  It was just  impossible but, he would do the same fall asleep in the car thing.  Does she have a daily quiet time?  Even if she won't nap most of the time it might help to facilitate a time where she could fall asleep.  We did quiet time and that was very helpful.  Most of the time he still wouldn't nap but, sometimes he passed out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 2.5 year old kept saying this and she is refusing naps lately also.  We just realized the other day that she is repeating what me and DH say (b.c we're up at night with our 7 wk old). I had been saying that my foot hurt from a splinter and she'd started going on about that. 

of course it may be something else with yours, but just sayin