Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Chemical free drain cleaner?

Hi! I've seen some posts about this before but I scrolled back and didn't see anything specific. Is it boiling water and baking soda?

TIA!!

Re: Chemical free drain cleaner?

• You can try boiling water or also vinegar and baking soda (it bubbles up and clears the drain).  HTH!
    DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
  • Is it a bathtub or sink drain? It's probably clogged by hair. Pickup a Zip It at the hardware store. It'a  flexible thin piece of plastic with barbs on it to grab & pull out the hair. They're less than $5. Walmart & Target might carry them too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are talking about a sink, where the pipes are under the cabinet where you can get to them, the most effective thing to do is to remove the "u-bend" and clean it out.   It will look something like this....

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/images/mb/Channel4/4homes/diy-and-self-build/diy-building-advice/diy-and-building-basics/diy-glossary/u-bend-md.jpg

Just put a bucket or bowl underneath, unscrew it, clean it out (I recommend doing it outside with the garden hose.....it's pretty nasty), and screw it back on.    

• I pour some baking soda down the drain and chase it with vinegar.  Let it sit for a bit and then pour boiling water down to rinse and it clears it all up.
  • Thanks everyone! I should have been more specific... our tub drain has been really slow. I think the suggestion from crashinto.. (sorry! forgot your name) is the one I was looking for.