Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

A ? for all you OC ladies

We go up to Ocean City every year with MIL. It's always the 1st week in July Friday-Friday. It hasn't been a problem traffic wise for us before because we'd go really early on Friday or go at night. 

Unfortunately, this year the rental is July 3rd to the 10th. Not a problem but the federal holiday and day off is Friday. With Brendon this year, I'm worried about getting stuck in traffic on our way up there because it seems a lot of people will be going early in the day instead of the evening. He's fine when the car is moving but when it comes to traffic, he's not a fan(much like me :))   

My question, after that long spiel, does anyone have a better way to get up there besides 50? Or do you have any advice about what time is best to go? TIA!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: A ? for all you OC ladies

• Route 13 through DE is my favorite way to go. I think it is 13, I shall google map it. I like it because once you get past Dover, you can take the "long way" as some people I know have called it. It is the long way because you go through lots of towns, thus stop lights. But it gives you ample opportunity to stop stretch your legs, get some food, do some shopping, etc. Also good for potty breaks, which is lacking in some ways I have gone.
  • What time is check in Friday? I know it's not ideal but they're expecting record numbers for the 4th, especially after record numbers for Memorial Day, so if you have to leave Friday I'd be out the door by 5:30am. I know RoxyKD has a good back way also, I'd page her if she doesn't respond on here. Also, expect back roads to be clogged up too, for Memorial Day 50 was actually faster than going through DE and taking the local roads over 50.
  •  

3. Turn left at MD-152/S Mountain Rd image
    0.1 mi
    4. Take the I-95/J F K Memorial Hwy ramp to New York image
    0.4 mi
    5. Merge onto I-95 N
    Partial toll road
    Entering Delaware
    42.2 mi
    6. Take exit 4A to merge onto DE-1 S/DE-7 S toward Christiana/Mall Rd
    Continue to follow DE-1 S
    Partial toll road
    5.2 mi
    7. Merge onto US-13 S
    Partial toll road
    2.2 mi
    8. Continue on DE-1 S
    Partial toll road
    36.5 mi
    9. Continue on Bay Rd/DE-1/US-113 S
    Partial toll road
    14.6 mi
    10. Slight left at DE-1/Milford Bypass
    Continue to follow DE-1
    Entering Maryland
    43.6 mi
    11. Continue on Coastal Hwy/MD-528 image
    3.7 mi

That is the way I go. Except step 10. The slight left at DE-1/Milford Bypass. I choose not to take the Bypass and I go through Milford. I like it that way because of the before mentioned chances to stop. If you don't do that though and take the bypass it is much quicker. The way I go takes you in through 54 right into Fenwick Island. Unfortunately, I cannot get the stupid google maps to give me those exact directions.

• Like NDM suggests, I would leave early as possibly Friday morning. I think the majority of traffic that will be going, will be going down Thursday night. Most hotels have a 3 night minimum because of the holiday.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • good luck.  i agree, leave at the butt crack of dawn.
  • image linzee:
    good luck.  i agree, leave at the butt crack of dawn.

Ditto.  This is the best way to avoid traffic.

• Pray for luck! We left at noon Memorial Day weekend and hit only a 10 min area of stop and go, our friends left at 5pm and hit nothing! And they said more people were there that weekend then any other weekend since 1990-something. I'm crossing my fingers you get lucky! And leaving early will help a lot! If you don't check in until later you could always walk the boardwalk or sit on the beach, go to the outlets, have an early lunch outside, take B to Jolly Rodgers if he sleeps on the way down, lots to do!
  • Check-in isn't until 4pm. Ugh!!! MIL went up on the 4th last year and made good time. She usually leaves about noon and cuts through Delaware. The hard part for me now is convincing DH that 1) we should leave early and 2)go through Delaware :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I would leave and drive while he's still asleep.  You guys can manage on no/very little sleep until your check-in or alternately entertain him - but you will be miserable if he screaming in the car for hours.

(We're driving to SC in  a few week and our plan is to leave about 9pm and drive through the night while Ella's sound asleep in the back) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image MrsNDM:
    Pray for luck! We left at noon Memorial Day weekend and hit only a 10 min area of stop and go, our friends left at 5pm and hit nothing! And they said more people were there that weekend then any other weekend since 1990-something. I'm crossing my fingers you get lucky! And leaving early will help a lot!

Ditto this- I think it's pretty hard to actually "time it" - I haven't done the drive to OC in a while, but I did a summer share 2 yrs in a row in Dewey and it was always so random when/where I would hit traffic- the worst traffic never seemed to be around holidays for me, because I would leave work at an off hr or something, or leave later.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would go through delaware but don't take 113....once you get on route 1 it becomes coastal highway and brings you all the way in to OC.