Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Areas to live near Aberdeen Proving Grounds? & Actull (you have PM)

Hi all! This is my first time posting to the Baltimore board. I am a fed. employee and have a job offer at APG. DH and I are looking to relocate back to the East Coast from Hawaii. We are both from the DC area.

I've never lived up near APG but I have driven past it a few times. What are some decent areas to live (no longer than 25 min. commute and minimal traffic). I've heard hit or miss things about certain parts of Hartford County. I'd like to be closer to shopping, restaurants, etc. but don't mind driving about 15 min. to get there (give or take).

We used to live in Anne Arundel, but that would be too much of a commute for us.

Thanks!

Re: Areas to live near Aberdeen Proving Grounds? & Actull (you have PM)

• I live in Belcamp and can get to APG in about 5 minutes.  Areas close around here are Riverside, Churchville, Bel Air, Havre de Grace, Aberdeen (duh :)) and Abingdon... at least that's what i think of right away.

Bel Air has a decent amount of shopping and i can get to the farthest point in about 20 minutes, White Marsh has a good mall, the avenue and good resturants and i can get there in about 25 ish.

DS Nicholas 7.17.04 DD Emma 6.6.06
  • Glad to see you here Wink

YGPM back. 

The girls here will be super helpful with places to live.  I prefer White Marsh/Perry Hall b/c it is 30 mins to APG and 25 mins to downtown Baltimore so it suits my lifestyle for now. 

• Do you know which base you'll be working on  ~ Edgewood area or the Aberdeen side? 

I live in Perry Hall/White Marsh and I work on the Edgewood side.  My morning drive takes me 20 minutes and the drive home takes a half hour.  I think it takes about 30 minutes to get to the Aberdeen side, like Actull said.  

What type of house are you looking for?  That will help us direct you in the right direction too.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I live in Perryman, and I know mdteacher recently moved into her waterfront house on the Perryman peninsula as well.

• thanks ladies! I'm not sure if I am on the Edgewood side or not. That was one of the questions I sent to CPAC.

For the first year we're going to rent and then look into buying a home or townhome after that. I'd like to get more acclimated with the area first. So any recommendations for apartment complexes or townhomes would be fabulous!

How is Fallston? I've heard decent things about that area as well...

• Fallston-15 to 30 minutes to APG depending on location. Same with all major shopping/restaurant areas as well. That is where I would live. It is a bit more rural, so pretty peaceful. Nice communities and houses. I like it because (depending on what area in Fallston, it is a big area) you can be to Bel Air in 10/15 minutes, I-95 same, White Marsh 15-20 minutes, Jacksonville 10 minutes, Hunt Valley (with the WEGMANS) in 15 minutes....just a nice location. My favorite part of the county.

Parts of Joppa (where I currently live are nice), as well as Kingsville (is in Balto and Harford counties), parts of Bel Air, Forest Hill, Baldwin, all are good areas.
  • Fallston is a good area, but depending on where you live it could take up to 45 min to an hour to get into APG.  Getting to APG and getting through the gates and to your actual work are two different things, especially in the morning rush hour.  My parents live on the far edge of Fallston and my dad is retired military.  There are no townhomes or apts in Fallston though.

Other places to look are Bel Air, Abingdon, and Forest Hill, and possible Havre de Grace.  There are some nice apt complexes in Bel Air.  I would stay away from apts in Aberdeen, Edgewood, and Abingdon.

ETA- having lived in Harford Co my entire life (minus 4 years of college)..moving from Hawaii to Harford County would be a real bummer!

• I am curious as to where you parents live in Fallston that it takes an hour to get to APG? I cannot think of one place in Fallston that it would take more than 30 minutes in bad traffic. Even if they were on the Fallston/Monkton line.

• My parents live off of Hess Rd.  Thats why I said it takes that long to get INTO APG.  It takes 5-10 minutes to get through the gate in the mornings, plus driving through a very large base to get to your place of employment.

My dad, sister, and BIL have all lived in that house and had jobs at various places on base.

Mrs0428 back me up on this?

• image LWilli35:
    I live in Perryman, and I know mdteacher recently moved into her waterfront house on the Perryman peninsula as well.

Yep, we moved in 2 months ago.  It's a new waterfront development of single family homes.  If you're interested in renting while you build, this would be perfect for you!  If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email.  [email protected]

Good luck!

• Interesting. I guess getting on base takes a while, and depending on where you are on base. That just seems like a really long time. It isn't more than 12 miles to the closest gate from Hess Road. Weird.

Did you grow up in Fallston?

• image mdteacher818:

image LWilli35:
    I live in Perryman, and I know mdteacher recently moved into her waterfront house on the Perryman peninsula as well.

Yep, we moved in 2 months ago.  It's a new waterfront development of single family homes.  If you're interested in renting while you build, this would be perfect for you!  If you have any other questions, feel free to send me an email.  [email protected]

Good luck!

Thanks. I may take you up on that once we get a better idea of what we want to do. At this point, I want to make sure we are in a lower crime area. Once we get the point where we want to get a house, we'll def. be a little more concerned. the beauty of renting is that if we don't like one town, we just move to the one we do like!

And for the PP who made the comment about moving from Hawaii...we like living here. It was a major adjustment and I dealt with some reverse discrimination, but it was an awesome experience. We're both ready to settle down more and be close to family again. His live in MD and mine in VA. It just feels right, you know?    :)

• Into my house so that I can move!

I don't know a lot about the area, despite having lived here for over two years now, but I'm in Riverside (mailing address - Aberdeen) in a townhome community that's fairly new, lots of young families, lots of military, and with very little trouble aside from parking-related problems.  We do everything in Bel Air - shopping, eating out, library trips and our daycare is over there, too.

• I live in White Marsh/Perry Hall and work at APG.  It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to the gate and then another 10 minutes past there (if there is no line at the gate).  White Marsh has a nice mall a little outdoor mall and lots of restaurants.  We used to live in Canton so we wanted to stay a little closer to Baltimore and the stuff to do there.  It also only takes us about 20 minutes to get into the city.  Bel Air (Harford Co) is a nice place and they have a mall, places to eat and their downtown is growing.

Good luck! 

Nothing to see here....
  • image xmaryrickx:

Did you grow up in Fallston?

I grew up in Abingdon/Bel Air.  My parents moved when I was a junior in college, so I've only lived there off and on.

• Firedancer is dead on with the drive from Fallston being a longer one to get onto base.  The main road (Mountain Road/Route 152) is only one lane each way and it can get pretty backed up in the morning and afternoon with all the people going/coming to work.  The same goes for certain areas of Bel Air until they stop construction on Route 24. 

You can buy my house if you want!  Stick out tongue  Like someone said earlier, Perry Hall/White Marsh is super close to everything and you don't have to deal with traffic in the morning b/c it's heading south, while you're heading north.  Low crime rate and I think the schools are decent (we don't have kids, so I really don't know too much about this).  

Pregnancy Ticker