November 2008 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Question of the day...

So here's one to ponder: If you dug a hole through the center of the earth, and jumped in, would you get stuck at the center because of gravity?

Here's on the answer: Are you named after anyone?  If so, Who? Why?

Re: Question of the day...

• I'm not named after anyone.  My dad wanted to name me the same name as my mom (thank GOD they didn't...I already look exactly like her, we don't need matching names on top of it!).  They settled with the same first letter "L."  I do have my mom's middle name though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not named after anyone.
  • Well... ok, so my first name is after my dad (the female version of it, of course), but I go by my middle name, and that was mom's pick.

My oldest brother was also named after my dad, so I guess dad wanted both first boy and girl with his name!

• Nope not named after anyone. 

As for the pondering question You would burn up due to the heat of the Earth's core.

• image code_8:

Nope not named after anyone. 

As for the pondering question You would burn up due to the heat of the Earth's core.

HAHA, true!

My Mom got my name form All my Children, so I guess I am named after a character that was on the show in the late 70's.

• I have my mom's middle name. Kristy was my mom's pick, as were the rest of us (Kerry, Kim, Kendra, and my dad is Keith Kermit Lastname that starts with K). Oh, mother *sigh.* I would have been Kirby as a boy and I've always wished she would have just named me that because at least it's something unique!
  • I was actually named after some random waitress. My parents were supposed to name me Margaret and call me Maggie for short. They had told all their family about it and everything. About three weeks before my mom was due, they went to a restaurant and the waitress was named Erin. They liked the name (not sure if she provided great service or not!) so the rest, as they say, is history.

• I was named after my great grandfather...in the Jewish religion you name after the deceased, whether it be the american name or the Hebrew name, or the first letter of the name or whatever.

So, my parents picked the female version of my great grandfather's hebrew name and then used the 1st letter of the Hebrew name to come up with my name.

Not sure exactly about the Middle Name though!

• My grandfather's name was Winthrope, and just about all of my first-born cousins have it in their name somehow (there's a Winthrope III, Ted Winthrope, etc etc etc)  I was supposed to be Winnie.  Ick. Mom decided on Wendi - whew! My dad's middle name is Lee, I got Lea. So I'm sort of named after people...

• My mom knew she wanted the name Karrey Ann but just wasn't sure how she wanted it spelled. One of the pregnancy books that she really loved was written by an author with the name spelled like mine and she loved it.  So it stuck.  And I have her middle name, minus the e.
  • My first name is not after anyone.  My Dad actually wanted to name me Tiffany and thank God that didn't happen because that name definately does not suit me.  I have a super common middle name but it's actually my Great-Grandmothers name and that's how it was picked.  Almost all the females on the side opposite my fathers has my GG's name as their middle name.
  • image code_8:

This, and I am named after someone.  I was supposed to be named Tiffany Danielle, but I was born on my grandmother's birthday, so my grandfather told my mom "Your mom is expecting you to name the baby after her", so my mom named me Maria Danielle, but to spite them both always called me Danielle. My dad was in the Coast Guard and on ship when I was born. I have a card that was with the flowers he sent to the hospital and the name on the envelope is "Tiffany Danielle", I guess no one told him....

• I'm kind of named after my mom...Jennifer is completely a random choice by my parents - they weren't too creative in 1982.  My middle name Joan is also my mom's middle name.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTC #1 13 cycles, CP 6/09, TTC #2 1 cycle
    CDing, EP'd for 13 months for #1, BFing for #2
    Pregnancy Hypertension - inductions at 39w, I grow big babies: DD was 9 pounds 1 ounce 22 inches, DS was 11 pounds even 22 inches - both vaginal deliveries
  • There has traditionally been an Elizabeth in every generation on my mom's side of the family.  My middle name was Hicks which is also a family name on my mom's side (it was my great-grandmother's maiden name).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • That's a great story to pass down code :).

My middle name is super common, but it's my grandma's first name :). DH's middle name is his grandpa's first name, so maybe we'll continue that tradition with one of our kids.

• My name was supposed to be Heather Christina, but my parents changed it after I was born and they looked at me.  My middle name now is after my great-grandmother.

• My 2 older brothers and I all have first names that were picked by my parents and then middle names that reflect grandparents. My brother Jason had one grandpa's name for a middle name and my brother Craig had the other.  I was suppose to be just Kimberly Anne for one grandmother but when I was born (C-Section) they told my mom she couldn't have anymore kids because her uterus was too thin.  My dad, not wanting anyone left out, added his mother's name to my birth certificate so I became Kimberly Anne Lucille.

Amelia Marie
    [IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii102/kimmyalc/da5448d1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • My dad wanted to name me Jennifer (very popular in 1979), but my mom vetoed that.  So I was named Breanne (pronounced Bree-un- like Brian, but with an e instead of the i)- which rumor has it, was an actress/tv character my dad liked.  My middle name is Kay, which is my mother's middle name.  My brother has my dad's middle name and my sister has our maternal grandmother's name (died when my mom was 3), but a variation on the middle name (which is what we call her)  Grandmother: Nancy Jane Sister: Nancy Janae. 

I like the idea of having one name you share with another family member, and one that's more yours- although if we have a little boy I want to name him Phillip Andrew (Phillip for my grandfather, Andrew is DH's middle name and a name I have always loved). 
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I agree with Code on the heat, I was thinking the same thing, but subtract the heat and i'm thinking you would stick like a magnet. Hmm . . .

Although my family is not Jewish, they loved the whole name your children after family members so both my Brother & I are named after people.  I'm named after my Dad's mother and as for my two (yes 2) middle names, I believe their aunts on my Dad's side as well.

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/5u0mdk.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt122e70.aspx[/img][/url]
  • My parents just liked my first name.  I have my mom's middle name though.
  • My name is Lisa Marie, after Lisa Marie Pressley. My Mom was a huge Elvis fan back in the day. fun stuff.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image lisa5ny:
    My name is Lisa Marie, after Lisa Marie Pressley. My Mom was a huge Elvis fan back in the day. fun stuff.
    Aww so cute!
  • My mom didn't have a girl's name picked out, so she named me Katherine after her Confirmation Saint.  My middle name is Ann after my gramma's middle name.

Turns out that there has been a Katherine An in almost every generation of my gramma's family going back almost 200 years, so my mom did a good job picking a name on the spot.

• image AEEH1101:

Although my family is not Jewish, they loved the whole name your children after family members so both my Brother & I are named after people.  I'm named after my Dad's mother and as for my two (yes 2) middle names, I believe their aunts on my Dad's side as well.

I have two middle names as well!

Amelia Marie
    [IMG]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii102/kimmyalc/da5448d1-1.jpg[/IMG]
  • image KatieTaylor77:

Turns out that there has been a Katherine An in almost every generation of my gramma's family going back almost 200 years, so my mom did a good job picking a name on the spot.

That's really neat!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image kimmyalc:
    image AEEH1101:

I have two middle names as well!

There are so few of us in the world . . . I only know of about 3 others Smile

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/5u0mdk.jpg[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt122e70.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Ponderous, man.  Really ponderous.  Actually, you would melt before gravity became an issue, I'd guess.  I'm such a nerd.

My dad was a music major in college when I was born.  Aria is a musical term (a dramatic solo in an opera).  My mom also went to school with someone named Aryja (pronounced the same), which she thought was pretty.  They couldn't think of a middle name, so I got my mom's, Jean.

• I am not named after anyone.  I do have the same middle name as my godmother though, and my brother has the same middle name as his godfather.
  • I'm named after my dad...both our names mean "beloved", mine being Amy and his David.

My middle sister is named after my mom's middle name, and she was named after her mom.  So there was Beverly (grandma), Beverly Ann (mom), and Anne (sister).

And, on accident, my youngest sister was named after my two aunts, Lavidea and Lavena (not sure on the spelling).  They changed their names to Laura and Eleanor, and my parents chose Laura Eleanor for my sister.