Sex & Romance
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Yeast Infection? Possible TMI

I am not trying to get a diagnosis from people on a message board, but I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. About a week ago (right around the time I started my period), I began to have an itching/burning sensation on the outside of my vagina. It kind of itched/hurt the way it would if I had very tiny cuts on it, but there were no cuts on it. However, DH looked and could tell where my pain was, so apparently it was a bit swollen. Now, a week later, it is itching a little less but still kind of hurting, and the itching has kind of moved from the outside lips to actually inside my vagina. I have never had a YI before, but I know they itch quite a bit. Does this sound like a YI or something else?

Edit: And I forgot to add that while having sex, it was kind of tight and uncomfortable, and my vagina hurt afterward. And, I was plenty lubed and warmed up, so that should not have caused discomfort.

Re: Yeast Infection? Possible TMI

• Call your doc.  You can never error on the side of caution.
  • With a YI, you tend to get a cottage-cheese like discharge.  I recommend going to your doctor on this one instead of just buying stuff for a YI. 
  • it would also have a yeasty smell... i dont always get cottage cheese discharge with a YI though

• Thankfully modern medicine has the test at home yeast infection kits. IF it is a yeast infection, abstain from sex until the symptoms clear up-not even with a condom. You could just have vaginal ph balance issues and there are creams that can soothe the burning/itching issues. If it persists then see a doc. Most of the time it's a mild yeast infection, if the yeast infection detecting kit says it's not a yeast infection it could be a bacterial infection witch there are NO OTC options and you must see a doctor. Main difference is if any discharge is discolored and smells fishy or sour then it's most likely a bacterial infection.

• Sounds like a YI to me.  I just got over one and no, you do not always have a cottage cheese like substance nor does it always smell yeasty(both times I have had them*diagnosed by my ob/gyn* I had not other symptoms other than burning and itching.

As for abstaining from sex...my ob/gyn said after I had don the treatment that as long as it wasn't uncomfortable for me then go right ahead. I still had some mild itching and burning after the 3 day monistate treatment but it wasn't uncomfortable to stop dh and I. After I got my period all symptoms stopped.

In general the little pita YI tend to show up about a week before you period and as long as it is mild enough once you get your period it should clear itself up on it's own.  I try to make sure the week before my period I eat two containers of yougurt every day and I am also now taking a probiotic supplement (helps keep ph balance regulated).

Our Website

Kristi and Kerry June 21,2008

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker