Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Do you drink often?

I would not consider myself a heavy drinker but I do have a glass of wine, mojito, or margarita 3 times a week. I am trying to figure out if this is really bad when trying to loose weight and get in shape? I wanted to see how often everyone else on here drinks?

Re: Do you drink often?

• I do Friday and Saturday nights most weekends but I try and make as smart of choices as possible and have a drink or two, not a ton of drinks. I make sure I have calories left over to spare by nighttime and if I want a margarita I use Baja Bobs low carb/low cal mix or this recipe:

(Entire recipe: 115 calories, 0g fat, 55mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, <0.5g sugars, 0g protein = 2 Points)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup Sierra Mist Free (or Diet Sprite Zero, or your other fave no-cal lemon-lime soda)
    *1.5 oz. tequila
    1 packet (two 5-calorie servings) sugar-free powdered drink mix, lemonade (like the one by Crystal Light) 2 tbsp. lime juice
    Optional: lime slice for garnish and salt or no-calorie sweetener for rim of glass

Margaritas can be 500-700 calories each! If you're trying to lose weight I'd imagine that's somewhere around half of your daily calorie intake so yes, that can absolutely stop you from seeing any weight loss. A glass of wine is about 100 calories so keep that in mind, drink in modification, if you know you're drinking that night add some extra workout time in.  

• I probably only drink a couple times a month. A few beers with the guys on my hockey team. I don't drink at home, only on rare occasions.
  • i used to.  like we'd polish off 2-3 bottles of wine a week. but ever since we both started exercising regularly, i probably have one or two drinks a month, if that.  mh rarely drinks these days too (and he used to be a big wine drinker).  it kills me at the gym the next day if i have anything to drink, let alone many drinks.  my wine refrigerator rebelled on me and decided to break itself :(
    ExerciseMilestone
  • I don't drink very much, maybe one or two drinks a month.  Ever since I started working out more and eating better, I have cut down on my alcohol intake.  I'd rather either get my junk calories through rich chocolate or save the calories entirely.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I usually have one or two glasses of wine per week.

?

• I rarely drink because I find that it opens the door to binging for me.  Maybe once or twice a month tops when we go out with friends.  I usually go for a few bacardi diets, but because I drink so rarely, it only takes 2 drinks to get me tipsy. 

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • I'm a social drinker only. It's pretty rare when I have a glass of wine at home. I normally drink vodka and diet coke when I'm out so that's low calorie.

Margaritas can have anywhere between 600-900 calories for "normal" sized ones. Mojito's are also high in sugar. You pretty much need to either not cheat all week and have one or two when you go out on the weekend or find something else to drink that you like becuase it's killing your diet with all the calories. 

• i'd say I have a glass of wine once every 2-3 months. I would FAR prefer to eat my calories than drink them, but that's just me
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I drink about 10 beers a night. It does wonders for my figure! BeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeerBeer
  • Okay so it looks like I drink more than everyone on here:) I think I'll try cutting back to a glass of wine and not the margaritas and mojitos. I know they aren't helping me lose weight I just was wondering how bad they really were and you ladies helped me see they are pretty BAD! Thanks!
  • I don't drink often.  Maybe 1 day per week.  I used to open lots of wine bottle each week but now maybe 1 or 2, depending on whether or not we have company, and only on the weekends.
  • image tropical2:
    Okay so it looks like I drink more than everyone on here:) I think I'll try cutting back to a glass of wine and not the margaritas and mojitos. I know they aren't helping me lose weight I just was wondering how bad they really were and you ladies helped me see they are pretty BAD! Thanks!

you're not the only one!

we drink wine w/ every meal. I also have between 2-4 beers a week.

My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • I drink small amounts consistently (1/2  a glass of wine at dinner), etc. However, it only amounts to 2 -3 drinks a week.
  • Occasionally.  It usually only works out to 1 or 2 weekends a month.  I try to have rum and diet coke, or something with diet soda so I'm not killing my good eating habits by having tons of sugary alcoholic drinks.  Sometimes I'll have a glass or two of wine.  I only rarely splurge on other types of alcoholic drinks.  I tend to leave room in my daily calories or exercise more to accommodate for the drinks.
  • image tropical2:
    Okay so it looks like I drink more than everyone on here:) I think I'll try cutting back to a glass of wine and not the margaritas and mojitos. I know they aren't helping me lose weight I just was wondering how bad they really were and you ladies helped me see they are pretty BAD! Thanks!

Not necessarily everyone :)

I have a couple glasses or wine or a couple beers probably one week night a week, and usually have 3-4 beers one of the weekend nights. But, I am well aware of what I am drinking and track all of my calories.  I enjoy a good beer, so if I want one, I have the one I want not a watered down light beer, and I savor it.

I would totally agree that cutting down on alcohol will help you lose weight.  If you still want to have a drink that you enjoy have it.  Just make sure you account for those calories and choose something as low cal as possible.  Most blender drinks or bar specialty drinks are going to be super high in sugar and calories.   Here are some better choices:

Light beer (Bud Light, Coors Light) 110 calories

1.5 ounce of 80 proof alcohol ( vodka, rum, whiskey, gin) about 100 calories if you mix with diet soda or club soda

white wine (chard, riesling) about 110 calories for 6 ounces

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Well during the week I do a glass of wine with dinner on occassion, but tend to drink more on the weekends.  I usually do wine or lately I've been doing flavored vodka & soda water, my favorite right now is pomegranate vodka.  I probably drink more than I should on weekends at times.... but I don't drink so much that it causes me issues the next day, often I'll do a road race the next morning.  Everything in moderation. 

• I drink 2-3 times  a week.  Most of the time it's a beer or two with DH after work, or 2 glasses of wine with dinner/friends.  There aren't any weeks that it's more often (or more drinks) than that, but a few weeks that it's less.  Just make sure you're balancing out your drinks with enough water.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    We'll always remember our angel baby: BFP 9/24/10, M/C 10/23/10 8w4d
  • we drink on fri. and sat. usually with friends where i'll have 3-4 beers.  it's not uncommon for me to have a glass of wine or a beer during the week with dinner, but i'm well aware of the calories and what it's "costing" me.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Hardly ever, to be honest.  The last time I had a drink was in February.
  • I pretty much only drink socially (but I tend to drink alot socially! high tolerance and well I enjoy it!!). Once in a blue moon Ill have a glass of wine at home, but it is really not the rule.

I usually stick to white wine. Very rarely I will treat myself to a martini (the flavored ones). Not often bc a) high in sugar and b) they make me go from 0 to 180 instead of gradually feeling it.

Sometimes I will have a beer or two too if I am in the mood. When I drink beer I get full from the beer before I get tipsy though so I usually stick to one or two.

Again, this isnt on a weekly basis, but occasionally socially so wehn I do go out I dont worry about it too mcuh since it isnt often.

If you enjoy a nightly drink, maybe start sticking to wine, or white wine spritzers even to keep your calories in check. Margaritas etc are pretty high cal!

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've definitely cut down.  I might have a beer or two 2 or 3 times a month.  Your body burns alcohol first and I want my body working on the fat at all times :)
  • I am trying to lose weight too and I typically drink once a week. Usually 2-3 glasses of wine. Its a slippery slope for me calorie wise if I drink too often. I would try to cut down to 2 days a week and go from there.?
  • image virginiagirl11:
    I don't drink very much, maybe one or two drinks a month.  Ever since I started working out more and eating better, I have cut down on my alcohol intake.  I'd rather either get my junk calories through rich chocolate or save the calories entirely.

this.

image image
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image nestinginjapan:

image tropical2:

you're not the only one!

we drink wine w/ every meal. I also have between 2-4 beers a week.

I'd say 3-4 nights a week I'll have a glass (or two or three) of wine/beer.  We often drink wine with dinner.  As far as calories go, wine isn't too bad -- it's not great, but it's much better than margaritas and mojitos.  Drier wines have less calories than sweeter ones, because of less sugar.  And of course there are the health benefits of red wine!  (ONE glass per day, but hey.)

I'm in mainetnance mode these days, and an evening drink has become a necessary "treat" for me as I'm finishing up my dissertation.  ;)  I often wonder if I'd drop a few vanity pounds if I did nothing other than give up booze, though!  But on a hot summer night, nothing hits the spot like a cold beer out on the back porch, so I won't be giving that up anytime soon.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi