Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

tri girls?

My first sprint tri is next Sunday.  Today was my last major workout (.5 mile swim, 8 miles on the bike, and 1.5 mile run).

I have several books/plans, but they all suggest different things for taper week.  What worked best for you? 

I was thinking about trying to get in one 3 mile run, one more swim workout and one more bike workout (none too intense, and only one per day) by Thursday, and then doing nothing Friday and Saturday. 

Also, do you have any suggestions/last minute reminders for a first time tri girl?

TIA!

Re: tri girls?

• For a sprint, you don't really have to taper too much.  20-30 minute workouts the week before of low intensity, with small spurts of speed, will keep you sharp.  If the Sprint race I'm doing is an "a" or "b" race, then I will typically give myself a week of no 'hard' workouts that could make me sore or injure me.....will do my last run on a Thursday.  Swim or take a quick spin on Friday.  Race Saturday....(or Sun)  I think that as long as you remember that your training for this race is over and that nothing meaningful can come of further training (and you do), then you are good to go!
  • The last 2 days before the race you want great SLEEP, but you'll still be rested if you do minimal workouts. You should do a little workout, even if it is 10 minutes of each leg. But the truly critical thing is how much you sleep...not necessarily the night before (important, but not as important) but the 2 nights preceding that. Also, it is far more critical when you eat 2 days out then the night before. Make sure you are hydrating every day.

And have FUN!!! Remember...that's why you are doing this!

• I do what you do, especially for a sprint tri, take a couple of days off beforehand.