Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

DH has to have surgery

We finally heard back from the doctor - his gall bladder is "not functioning." He meets with a surgeon on the 10th.

What pisses me off - his test was Thursday. He called the dr on Friday because the person doing the test said "All the dr has to do is call for the dictation. It will be ready by end of day today." His GPs nurse said "we haven't heard back yet." David told him what he knew and asked to talk to the doctor. She said "He's too busy to talk to you. He might have time to call and check on the results later."

They played phone tag all week - the dr (obviously) wanted to talk to him, and everytime he called the nurse (the same one everytime) gave him attitude and wouldn't let him talk to the dr. The nurse wouldn't give him any info. When he offered my phone number because he was at work for 3 days, she said "that won't work." Which yeah, I understand confidentiality, but when I'm his wife and he says "I can fax you a written letter that states it's okay to give her the information..." That works with my dr's office.

So pissed! So, then, the surgeon they want to use doesn't have any consults until the 10th. I want him to find a different surgeon - 12 MORE days, plus then scheduling the surgery is ridiculous. I'm scared it's going to get infected or burst and cause more problems than it already has.

Sorry this got long. I know it will work out - it's not a hard surgery - but this entire thing has gotten ridiculous!

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DH has to have surgery

• That is crazy it took so long for him to get the results.  Can he say something to the dr and maybe he can talk to his nurses?  I understand HIPAA and keeping things confidential, but it doesn't sound like they were very helpful or understanding.

On the bright side though, I'm glad you found out what is wrong.  hopefully he can get some relief soon!

• Man, you always seem to have problems with your nurses/doctors! Hopefully things are on the right track and your husband can get better.

• I would mention it to his doc or ask to speak to the office manager.  They can straighten things out.

Sorry that things are coming together very quickly for you.  She should stay away from rich and fatty foods until he can get into the doc.  (You said he's doing WW with you right? Wink )   Sorry, can't get rid of the wierd box below.

The gallbladder stores the bile to have it available in larger quantities for secretion when a meal is eaten. The ingestion of food and especially fats cause the release of a hormone, cholecystokinin, (CCK) which in turn signals the relaxation of the valve at the end of the common bile duct (the sphincter of oddi) which lets the bile enter the small intestine. It also signals the contraction of the gallbladder which squirts the concentrated liquid bile into the
    DID YOU KNOW...
    that lack of fat
    in your diet can
    also bring on a
    gallbladder attack?

image image image
    Fats are important but
    it's the right fats that count. If you are in pain now, try the beet recipe which calls for some
    flax oil.

Research shows that a balanced diet high in CIS unsaturated fats
    (essential fatty acids) may
    reduce risk of gallstones,
    especially in men.(1)

small intestine where it helps with the emulsification or breakdown of fats in the meal.
  • Man you guys just never can catch a break. Hopefully you can get it pushed up - and good luck!
  • image Heather&Dave:

I would mention it to his doc or ask to speak to the office manager.  They can straighten things out.

Sorry that things are coming together very quickly for you.  She should stay away from rich and fatty foods until he can get into the doc.  (You said he's doing WW with you right? Wink )   Sorry, can't get rid of the wierd box below.

The gallbladder stores the bile to have it available in larger quantities for secretion when a meal is eaten. The ingestion of food and especially fats cause the release of a hormone, cholecystokinin, (CCK) which in turn signals the relaxation of the valve at the end of the common bile duct (the sphincter of oddi) which lets the bile enter the small intestine. It also signals the contraction of the gallbladder which squirts the concentrated liquid bile into the
    DID YOU KNOW...
    that lack of fat
    in your diet can
    also bring on a
    gallbladder attack?

image image image
    Fats are important but
    it's the right fats that count. If you are in pain now, try the beet recipe which calls for some
    flax oil.

Research shows that a balanced diet high in CIS unsaturated fats
    (essential fatty acids) may
    reduce risk of gallstones,
    especially in men.(1)

small intestine where it helps with the emulsification or breakdown of fats in the meal.

Word.  I was having trouble with my stomach and thought it was lactose intolerance.  Went to Dr. Law and she said it sounded more like Gal Bladder.  Cut out the fatty foods and walla, dairy really isn't an issue anymore (I used to not be able to eat cheese dip, for instance).

Sounds like his is pretty far gone at this point, but I was just surprised at the correlation and how much better I feel!  I know David's been really cutting back too, and losing weight, so it's not really an issue for him.

Allllso, the bad news is even after it's out, you still can't eat that sh!t without getting sick, but at least he won't be dealing with the chronic attacks.

• Glad you finally have some answers!

Tied the knot: 6.19.04 Mommy to 3 awesome kids: Maren 3/06, Tommy 12/07 amd Kolbe 8/09
  • I hope the surgery helps him out.  DH had his out when J was 7 or 8 weeks old, so that was not so fun.  It took forever to get him in for the surgery too, for some reason.
  • I told him he needs to talk to the dr. I'm okay with the fact that he needed to talk to him directly (well, somewhat)... But, I'm NOT okay with the attitude that he was getting from that nurse!

For the last 3 weeks, he's been eating very carefully. Sad thing is he's actually gained weight though because his body isn't processing the food right. We haven't figured out what foods really set him off - he doesn't eat greasy or super fatty foods. It seems that foods high in fiber have been setting him off, and dairy also. So, hopefully this will get better after surgery!

Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker