Seattle Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cleaning schedule?

Do you have a cleaning schedule?  Do you clean "on demand" or is it a daily/weekly thing?  Like do you only clean the bathrooms when they need it or only on Sundays - whether it needs cleaning or not?   I need to find a routine or schedule because I can't keep up with it all.

Re: Cleaning schedule?

• I do dishes/ kitchen every day (of course) and laundry every day. But the major stuff is done on Saturday morning.
  • we have a schedule, we clean every three weeks when the service comes ;o)

we just do in between cleaning (like vacuuming as needed.)

i also have this posted in one of our cabinets to help remind me of some of the stuff i might forget..

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/web/pdf/0505/cleaning_chart.pdf

image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • I pretty much do it as needed, as I feel like it, etc.
  • Honestly (although I think you guys know this)

I have no shedule - I'm really bad at cleaning.  I'm more of a "let's live life and bail for the day" kindof cleaner - so my house is no where near clean...so we got a maid finally.  We were having way too many arguements about cleaning.

I pick up alot though - way more then Rod but he does the dishes, and he does them abut every other night I'd say - if he waited for me, he knows it would be weeks.

He does his laundry, Alex's and Willow's too, I would definately get to the kid's laundry but It takes me forever to get to my own.

When I did clean - the best I'd do is the bathroom every other week...if I was on top of it.

SO we got a maid, and it's been great - she comes twice a month which FORCES me to pick up the ENITRE house.  It's never looked this great.  And it's only $60.

Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • I do the mad clean when I know we are having people over.  HAHA 
  • I do have a schedule.  I have chores that I do each day of the week, sometimes every other week.  I don't always follow it, but it helps remind of me the things that need to be done regularly. 
    T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • I clean up clutter and dishes every night before bed.  I do the slightly bigger stuff, like vacuuming and dusting, every Sunday.  I do the seriously deeper stuff, like changing the sheets and scrubbing the tub - every other Sunday.

I have a mental laundry block, though.  DH always ends up doing it all throughout the week; it's like I don't even realize there's a washer and dryer in the laundry room until I have absolutely nothing to wear.  It's really sad.

• I clear clutter/sweep every day.

We vaccum the living room just about every other day.

Dusting/bathroom cleaning/deep cleaning gets done every other week.

And I'd *really* like a maid to do the dusting/bathroom cleaning/deep cleaning!

• image SassyMcPeaches:

I have a mental laundry block, though.  DH always ends up doing it all throughout the week; it's like I don't even realize there's a washer and dryer in the laundry room until I have absolutely nothing to wear. 

Just another reason I *love* Sassy  Stick out tongue

Easter 2011

Largest selection of Halloween Costumes
  • image Jas*sGirl:
    I do the mad clean when I know we are having people over.  HAHA 

Tami, I've always had a feeling we're soul sisters on some level.  This is so me!

I *try* to pick up and do the dishes at least every other day.  I'm not good at it.  I've never been a neat and tidy person.  Poor DH.  I'm trying harder these days since he's so busy with school, but it's a struggle for me.  They always get done by Saturday though! Embarrassed

Rebecca :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hmm, after reading some of the responses... let me elaborate.

dishes are usually done every night after dinner. i do laundry usually 5 days a week. i'll do one or two loads a night during the week and on the weekend it's going all day either saturday or sunday. i change the sheets once a week. dh will usually vacuum at least once a week (thank you Nelson and your furriness) and he is good about wiping down the kitchen surfaces around twice a week. i just make sure the counters are wiped down nightly. we have the service come every three weeks for bigger stuff, they throroughly clean all the bathrooms, dust, vacuum, mop, etc. we do that stuff in between if we are having company or notice that it needs it.

we are somewhat lax about spring cleaning type stuff.. we really need to clean the windows and i really need to clean the kitchen cabinet fronts.

image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • Man did I just realize how anal I am!!!
  • No schedule.  Maybe that's our problem...

or, maybe, it's having a child with lots of toys = that's the problem!

or, we just hate to deal with it

Our best method is "Clear and clean".  We pile all of the toys into rubbermaids, move them out of the way, and clean everything.

Things that get done regularly (but no specific day):  laundry, vacuum, clean kitchen and bathroom ceiling to floor, light dusting with fluffy french maid thing

Things that need serious help:  organizing the extras, cleaning windows and our damn thick-azz blinds (did I mention that I hate that job?), serious scrub dusting (baseboards, trim, etc), picking up daughter's "art area" in the kitchen.  I'm a photographer... so, when I have a big project, prints are spread all over the table, desk and every other flat surface.  My DH has all sorts of computer parts and tools that end up all over.  I swear, that I find screwdriver bits and tiny tiny computer screws everywhere (window ledge, chair cushions, corners, stairwell, in house and garage - even in the driveway!) ... oh, and money.  My six year old "makes money" by picking up all of the change that DH drops throughout the house.  She told my mom that she was rich.  Good places to get rich = bedroom, closet, bathroom, laundry area, kitchen table, desk, almost anywhere that he's been.  We need a better system, less stuff and, I don't know, a strict nun to make us put things where they belong.  We need Rosie from the Jetsons.

Newlyweds since 2007
  • I'm with Tami and Becs, nothing motivates me to clean like having company over.  Luckily (I think) my husband usually has friends over on Saturday mornings so that always gets me to clean up before they come over.  I grumble about it sometimes, but truthfully it's good because it keeps the place decent.  :)~
    -Deborah

• I have a schedule pretty much only because of school.  I do laundry at least 2 times a week: Tuesdays and Fridays. 

Vacuuming is done at least 3 times a week (we have cats).

Dusting is done every other week on either Friday or Sunday.

Sheets are changed twice a week sometimes three times a week.

Bathroom tub is cleaned weekly on Friday or Saturday.  Bathroom floor about twice a week.  Toilet is cleaned once a week when the tub is done.  The sink is cleaned a few times a week.

Kitchen is cleaned everyday.  Its mopped once a week on Friday or Saturday. The floor is swept daily and I use the swiffer after that to clean it up.  

I vacuum the furniture and rid it of cat hair every time I vacuum.

I don't consider myself a neat freak because if you have seen my house its not "clean" but writing that out I think I might be slightly neurotic. LOL

DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • Well since I am one of those lucky ladies who has an OCD dh, and we clean almost every day. Seriously. It's beyond ridiculous. He vacuums, I would say, every other day, and sometimes two days in a row. Of course I do dishes and kitchen stuff everyday, and we do a load of laundry every other day. I clean the bathrooms, sweep and mop floors and vacuum, change sheets and do more laundry every Saturday morning to the Reverend Al Green (nothing motivates like the Rev). I do showers/baths and dust every other weekend. We are very clean!
    Clyde the pup
    [IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/1ijud3.jpg[/IMG]
  • My last day off every week is my big cleaning day - vacuum, any leftover laundry, any big dishes that didn't get done throughout the week, pick up big clutter and organize, change towels/sheets.  I hate starting my work week with the house a mess, because I don't get much done around the house on my workdays.

Throughout the week I have to do laundry so I always have work clothes, and we do dishes [unless they have to soak] every night.  I actually like shower cleaning, so I usually do that when I'm in the shower here and there so it rarely needs a big scrubdown. 

With all the kitties, the vacuuming is the biggest deal and sometimes [like now, prime shedding season] it gets done more than a couple times a week.  DH refuses to sort mail or organize, so we either wait until there is a HUGE pile of his mail to go through and I nag him to death, or I break and do it myself.  We're in a standoff right now and I'm typing amidst over a months worth of his mail. 

We do the big house clean when we host a party - windows, walls washed, hardwoods scrubbed good, etc.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm also a mad dash cleaner when people come over but for the most part, I don't clean...I hate it...better stuff to do :)

We will be hiring a cleaner!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Here's a dumb one - how often should furniture, like couch, chairs, and bed be vacuumed?  Does anyone vacuum their kids' stuffed animals?

We vacuum all sort furniture on the main floor a lot (not daily, but close) because we have a cat.  We do the couch and chairs a few times a week.  However, we rarely flip the mattresses and vacuum them.  Our cat doesn't go upstairs.

The reason that I ask about stuffed animals... My daughter's kindergarten class "shares" a Curious George stuffed animal.  Whichever kid is extra good gets to bring it home that night.  We got it yesterday and it had nasty pet hair (I hope that's what kind of hair!) on it.  I vacuumed it.  Is that normal?

Newlyweds since 2007
  • surfin, you can prob wash the curious george. i wash all of the dogs' stuffed animals in the washing machine on gentle cycle, cold water.