Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]t.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Dumb question

This is totally about me being polite to a fault so I need advice one wording. Everytime my parents and my 15 yr. brother come over to my house my mom and brother go looking for my cat, which it totally fine except one of her favorite places is under our bed. Which means they go in there and look around for her. I know they're not snooping in that way but it makes me uncomfortable. The other day I had thrown some lingerie on the floor and hadn't picked it up yet and they saw it. I'm completely waiting for us to forget to put away the lube. So how do I politely tell them to stay out? TIA

Re: Dumb question

• Just be direct.  Close the door before they arrive, and if they are still rude enough to head into your room (which is just bizarre to me), just say, "please don't go in our bedroom.  thanks."  No need to make excuses or justifcations--it's YOUR private space and they have no business going there, period.
    In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • Question - is your bedroom door shut when they come over? 

I would do two things:  1) make sure your cat is not in your room when they come over and then shut your bedroom door; 2) if they still intrude into your room when the door has been shut, just nicely say that you have shut the door for a reason, the cat isn't in there anyway, and you'd appreciate it if they could respect your bedroom's privacy.  If they balk at that, use embarrassment:  "Sorry, I guess if you want to see our sex toys you can go right on in, but I didn't think that would float your boat."

Waiting for some innocuous creativity... I'll let you know.
  • "Hey, actually, let me go get the cat for you.  She's under our bed and DH and I prefer that peopel dont' go into our bedroom. Thanks!".
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Tell mom and brother that it is fine to look for the cat but please stay out of my bedroom.  If you think the cat is in there and know they are coming over bring the cat out ahead of time and close the door.  Your mom should know you want your privacy. 
    T Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto, everyone else.

It seems like you're so worried that you will be the one acting out of bounds by speaking up. Just remember that it is YOUR house and your bedroom. You have every right to say they can't go in there, and any gracious guest would understand that. GL! 

• Are you kidding?

Next time, purposelly (is that a word?) leave your lingerie and lube out and preferably some other "toys".

Then when they go into your room - follow them and say "Whoops! maybe next time you'll let me get you the cat."

Would I actually have the nerve to do this?  Who knows.  But it is funny.

• image MsJen:

Next time, purposelly (is that a word?) leave your lingerie and lube out and preferably some other "toys".

Then when they go into your room - follow them and say "Whoops! maybe next time you'll let me get you the cat."

LOL exactly what I was thinking!

I had a similar issue, we had some little cousins (4, 6 and 8) who would go running around the house looking for the cat as soon as they got in the door - we were a little more worried about them finding something inappropriate, not concerned with our 'privacy' or anything.  We just remembered to fetch the cat out of our bedroom before they got here and then shut the door.

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• image EastCoastBride:
    "Hey, actually, let me go get the cat for you.  She's under our bed and DH and I prefer that peopel dont' go into our bedroom. Thanks!".

Thanks, this is absolutely perfect wording!

• image MsJen:

Are you kidding?

I really wish I was brave enough to do this! Can you even imagine their reaction? :D

• image Mrs.Elsie:
    image MsJen:

Are you kidding?

I really wish I was brave enough to do this! Can you even imagine their reaction? :D

Why dont you try to do it since its your home and your bedroom is the most private part of your house and you should have some privacy in there. Try to tell them that in a polite manner and see their reaction. You are not being rude by saying that.