Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Intro to My Family (loooong vent!)

124»

Re: Intro to My Family (loooong vent!)

• I think I'm going to tuck this gem in my Nest lore memory along with Chix & Noodles, Vow-b-que, and the McDonald's smack down. This is pure awesomeness.

image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image susiederkins:

I think I'm going to tuck this gem in my Nest lore memory along with Chix & Noodles, Vow-b-que, and the McDonald's smack down. This is pure awesomeness.

Along with the dead cat thread and the "Irish Twins" maelstrom.

Somebody pls save this thread before Ms. KKK deletes.

• Don't forget the pedophile father-to-be in Ohio thread...
  • I see what you're trying to say about marriage, but your logic is flawed. 

You say it's OK to get married young because marriage isn't permanent.   You support that assertion by pointing out that 50% of marriages end in divorce.     I suppose in a technical sense, you are correct.  

However, marriage is intended to be permanent.   You vow, when you get married, that it will be permanent.   You intend for your marriage to be permanent, otherwise, there is no logical reason to get married in the first place.   So, to go into a marriage with the idea that it isn't permanent is actually less mature than to decide not to get married at all. 

Furthermore, you cite children as the example of something "permanent."    But, is that really true?   Are children permanent?    I would say it's a safe bet all the children dumped in foster homes, dumped on grandparents or other relatives, or dumped on a single parent would argue otherwise.    Maybe legally you're on the hook for your child until they turn 18, but parents walk out on their children a fair amount of the time too.     What's my point?    Primarily that nothing is permanent, except death.   I could make a good argument that nothing in life is permanent, but that doesn't provide a rational excuse for being flippant about the decision. 

• Wow -- Go donny! I've been sitting here wracking my brain, trying to figure out a way to convey the fallacy of her argument that "50% of marriages fail, so it's okay to marry expecting your marriage to possibly fail."

Nicely put.

• image SpanishMandi:
    Don't forget the pedophile father-to-be in Ohio thread...

Along with the thread with the dumb 21 year old beebee newlywed male who spent all of his free time at his mommy's house.

• image neverblushed:

Wow -- Go donny! I've been sitting here wracking my brain, trying to figure out a way to convey the fallacy of her argument that "50% of marriages fail, so it's okay to marry expecting your marriage to possibly fail."

Nicely put.

God, you all need to just stop and think about what I've said instead of trying to slam me some more.

I'm not saying that I don't expect my marriage to be forever. Why? Because one day, I could change my mind. He could do something to just make me snap, and I'd be able to end it easily. And vice-versa. 

But would it be the end of the world?

Hell, no. 

I'm saying that marriage at 18 shouldn't be such a huge deal because, really, most marriages nowadays fail anyway, so why pull the age card? Why say that it's okay for a 27 year old to get married and divorce, but laugh and say "I told you so" to an 18 year old who got married and divorced? I think it's wrong to have that mindset.

So sure, go into marriage thinking that it's permanent. Have that idea in your head that once you get married, you're stuck with that person.

But how many times have you Nesties told somebody that they needed to divorce somebody because of some fight or issue that they had? I've seen it happen many a time, and honestly, I don't blame them. 

Why be miserable but stick with a marriage because you think it's "permanent"? I don't get it. If you think that, then you really are stuck. 

And I won't DD. I said I wouldn't, there's no reason to DD at this point, really. I never had a reason. 

• image TTC_Our_BabyB:

You are more than likely going to become a statistic

Everybody is part of a statistic.

Check this out:

1:2 marriages fail.

1:2 marriages are a success.

See? You're part of a statistic! CONGRATULATIONS!

• Um...Logic FAIL. ?And I'm too damn tired to even try to draw out for you exactly how screwed up your arguments are. ?You're just proving your idiocy in this post. ?But keep at it...it's strangely entertaining.