Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Build your own shish kabobs..

I'm hosting a couples baby shower (pretty casual) this weekend and have decided to do build your own shish kabobs! I'm pretty excited about the shish kabobs but am not sure about the sides... I was thinking a pasta salad and some fruit platters. Would that be ok? Any other suggestions? TIA!

Re: Build your own shish kabobs..

• Assuming you'll have veggies on the shish kabobs I think you'll be okay.

I'm curious about the logistics of this.  Will you have raw meat sitting out for people to have to handle?  Then handle the veggies?  Then give this to someone to grill? My mind is going to some cross contamination and a case of food poisonining.

• Kore!Kore! member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments
    image 6fsn:

Assuming you'll have veggies on the shish kabobs I think you'll be okay.

I'm curious about the logistics of this.  Will you have raw meat sitting out for people to have to handle?  Then handle the veggies?  Then give this to someone to grill? My mind is going to some cross contamination and a case of food poisonining.

I'll admit that this was my first thought, too. 

• me too.  I guess if you had one person DO the actual building and everyone just tells them what they want on it, it will work ok. Who's going to keep track of whose skewer is who's?

I like the shisk kebob idea but you may end up with a chaotic mess on your hands.

Why not just make the kebobs up and let it go at that? Otherwise you may end up with some people doing all meat and then you will not have enough meat to go around...just a thought.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've done build-your-own shish kabobs tons of times!  As long as you don't have too many people and they're pretty laid back, it works great.  It is a tiny bit chaotic as people are loading up their skewers, but not bad.  As long as you cook the veggies to the same temperature as the meat, there is no reason to worry about cross-contamination.  Just make sure not to eat any raw veggies that are left over and have had meat-juicy hands touching them, and have the skewer-loading away from other food.  And have a hand-washing station nice and close.  I throw all the leftovers (after people have finished their skewers) into the grill wok.  Also, we had kids over one time and did have everyone (including kids) do their veggies, then put on the meat last (adults only).

As for your original question, I think pasta salad and fruit platters sounds great!  Roasted potatoes would be delicious too.  And I think a cake or cupcakes would be good for a dessert - classic baby shower!  Here's a link http://www.marthastewart.com/cupcakes (you can always count on Martha!)

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• image 84Lauren:

I've done build-your-own shish kabobs tons of times!  As long as you don't have too many people and they're pretty laid back, it works great.  It is a tiny bit chaotic as people are loading up their skewers, but not bad.  As long as you cook the veggies to the same temperature as the meat, there is no reason to worry about cross-contamination.  Just make sure not to eat any raw veggies that are left over and have had meat-juicy hands touching them, and have the skewer-loading away from other food.  And have a hand-washing station nice and close.  I throw all the leftovers (after people have finished their skewers) into the grill wok.  Also, we had kids over one time and did have everyone (including kids) do their veggies, then put on the meat last (adults only).

As for your original question, I think pasta salad and fruit platters sounds great!  Roasted potatoes would be delicious too.  And I think a cake or cupcakes would be good for a dessert - classic baby shower!  Here's a link http://www.marthastewart.com/cupcakes (you can always count on Martha!)

I agree with this! I've done BYO shish kebabs without a problem. Just make sure to tell people to not munch on any veggies before, during, or after unless they are cooked!

Are you serious???
  • I'm still not loving this idea.  I get that people can choose what they want, but I'd hate to go to a party and have to handle raw meat.  Just my thought.