South Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Claire&Mike re: Tally

Hi :) I used to post here a bit, but haven't been around much lately because of work.  I was lurking and noticed in another post that you are relocating here from Tally.  We are moving to Tally in July.  Can you recommend any good apartment complexes for us to rent in?  We don't want to buy until we are sure we want to put some roots down there.  We're headed up in a few weeks to make a final decision.  We've been told that we should try to stay in the N.E. part of town, but this process is daunting!  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.  TIA :)

Oh, I grew up in Plantation and my mom still lives there.  It's lovely.  I'm sure you will love it.

Thanks again.

Re: Claire&Mike re: Tally

• Butting in.....We moved down from Tally 3 years ago, lived there for 8 years. We used to live on the NE side in Killearn and that is definitely the better area to live. I know of 2 complexes that you can look at up that way. Hope they are still there.

There is one that is by the Super Walmart up on Thomasville Road, just north of Chilis, next door to some bank (I think it was Bank of America when we lived up there). Then there is another one off of Killearn Center Blvd. I had a coworker that lived there and liked it.

Before we bought our house up there we had rented a townhouse in Killearn Lakes (I think that's what it is called). It's off of Thomasville Road North of Bannerman Road. We found that townhouse in the paper so you may want to try looking for something like that in the Tallahassee Democrat newpaper.

• Thank you so much :) I really appreciate the help!  I'm jotting down all of the information.  I have been scanning craigslist, but didn't think to look in the paper.  That's a great idea.

P.S. - Your son is absolutely precious. 

• I agree with Sam regarding Killearn. It's definitely the nicer place to live but traffic coming and going from that part of town is the worse in the city (nothing compared to south Florida, I'm sure).

There are some areas of town that are really growing and are nice. Southwood (owned by the St. Joe Company) is a subdivision that looks like a small town. They have their own YMCA, Walgreens, Starbucks, etc. A very walkable community with a mix of townhomes (rent and buy) and houses. There is a golf course and large walking park on the property. It's currently being expanded. My boss and a good friend both live there and love it. 

If you head east on Mahan towards I-10, there are many new properties.  It's expanding big time and all of my friends who just purchased homes bought them out there. They just opened the Cosco up there and are about to put in a Wal-Mart and movie theatre.  Just past I-10 on Mahan will be a new outdoor shopping center with a Neiman Marcus set to open later on this summer/early fall.

I live on the east side of town, but have lived all over. My favorite apartment complex was Azalea Place off of Victory Garden Drive. The management company for that complex also own two more (Eagles Landing and another one I can't think of right now.). DH lived in Eagles Landing before buying our house and loved it. He's lived all over the world and really liked that place.  We both liked the management company. They were on top of everything.

I would stay away from the west side of town. It's mainly where the college students live and is a bit more worn down.  I lived there with no problems, but I was really selective of my complex (catered to older students).

I hope this helps. You are more than welcome to email me (ecoclaire @ hotmail.com) if you have any more questions. Good luck. You'll love Tally. We're sad to leave.

• Thank you so much.  All of that is such helpful information.  I have added the Azalea Place and Eagles Landing complexes to our list to check out. I'm also thrilled to hear about all of the new things popping up around there.  My husband will be THRILLED about the Niemans lol.  He is a huge shopper. 

I'm glad you've confirmed my suspicions about the westside.  I definitely don't want to be around a lot of students, even though I'm sure they spread out in the city somewhat.  I'd rather not be right in the middle of them.

About traffic, I'm definitely looking for a short commute, so I'm trying to stay in the I-10 corridor if possible.  I drive 90 miles a day total to and from work right now and its killing me. 

Thank you for your kind offer of your email address.  Mine has my full name in it, so I will email it to you.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about South Florida.  I can also recommend a doctor and dentist in Plantation, when and if you need it.   

I wish you the best of luck with your move and new home.  We are absolutely thrilled to be moving to Tally. We're looking for something more laid back and friendlier and think we'll find it there. 

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you need anything.

Have a great day! - Kristen

• I know this is late...since you posted yesterday, but I moved from Tallahassee to Fort Lauderdale almost 4 years ago.  I was there for 11 years and my family and my husbands family live there.  Beautiful city, especially in the spring!

I agree with the others, that Killearn is a great place with good complexes.  But when and if you decide to stay in Tally, look in these great areas for homes:  Lafayette Park, Betton Hills, Waverly.  These are great homes that you would NEVER see down here.  Tallahassee has many old gems that I feel get forgotten because of all the new development.  These homes have character that they don't seem to have in other places.

Just wanted to add to the posts!