Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Wow, that was a pricey mistake

I found out how much our insurance is going up after getting our new car and my accident. It's, um, a lot.

***. Don't get in an accident. 

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Wow, that was a pricey mistake

• Frankly, I think it sucks and it's dumb for insurance companies to jack up your insurance even though you're not at fault.  It's not like you have any sort of control over what someone else chooses to do with their vehicle. Just my 2 cents though.
  • I'm sorry.  That sucks.

PHOTOS REMOVED

• image safy:
    Frankly, I think it sucks and it's dumb for insurance companies to jack up your insurance even though you're not at fault.  It's not like you have any sort of control over what someone else chooses to do with their vehicle. Just my 2 cents though.

From a consumer perspective it sucks, but from a business perspective they have to make some unfair decisions.  Insurance companies charge different rates based on where you live regardless of the history of the individuals insured.  I had my rate raised when I moved from Boulder to Denver even though it was the same car and I hadn't had so much as a parking ticket.  I had my cars hit 3 times in less than 2 months.  Once was by a drunk driver (two cars were unoccupied in front of my house) and the other time I was rear ended during a snow storm.  The insurance company saw it that I placed myself in higher risk situations so they raised my rates.  I cost them more money so I had to pay.  My views sure have changed now that I own a business.  I care about my customers but I have to put LC first.  Business decisions come before my personal preferences some days...

Steph- I'm so sorry all this happened.  It does suck!

• Oh, I know the reason behind insurance practices and rate hikes, I'm just saying that their reasons are illogical.  Just how is it the victim's fault when they have no control over the situation?  It's bad enough that she got injured, or at the very least, damage to her car (which should be covered by the person at fault, and it's at no cost to the victim's insurance) let's punish the victim for being silly enough to be in harm's way out of no choice of her own? The logic is ridiculous, but I do know how insurance companies work. I won't even go into how those sharks tore through hurricane victims...as if they have any control over acts of God...
  • But from a business perspective they aren't illogical.  Driving in a snow storm put me at an increased risk of being in an accident.  I knew this but did it anyway.  I knowingly put myself in harms way; i.e. I engaged in more risky behavior and they had to pay for it.  I chose a house that doesn't have a garage so cars were at a higher risk than being safely parked in a garage.  I wasn't at fault but I did engage in higher risk behavior.  Makes sense to me.  It's not fair though.  I do get that.
  • Owww that stinks!  Maybe they will re-evaluate and drop them in a year.
  • I would likely assume that the largest hike in the rate is due to buying a new car, moreso than having an accident. I've had an accident where I slid on ice into a median and did $2000 in damage to my axle and my insurance didn't even go up, and that was considered a faulted accident.
  • BCarp30BCarp30 member
    Seventh Anniversary
    I had an accident where I damaged my car, caused $3,500 worth of damage to another car and because the 3rd car drove off it was ticketed as a  "hit and run" so no one was supposed to pay.  Of course, I hit an insurance attorney so he had my rates jacked up (it probably didn't help that I told him he was an ambulance chaser) and then State Farm dropped me.  I had a lawyer involved and then had to say that I was under 18 (true) so nothing I said was legal and my guardian wouldn't allow me to give statements...huge mess.  I do think that for the most part, insurance is a crock though.
    BFP #1 3.18.11 M/C 4.08.11 6w2d
    BFP #2 11.01.11 M/C 11.15.11 5w4d
    BFP #3 5.08.12 Beta #1 299
    DX PCOS 9.2011