Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone read "a tree grows in Brooklyn"

Just picked it up from a yard sale last weekend any good?

Re: Anyone read "a tree grows in Brooklyn"

• NSLNSL member
    Ninth Anniversary
    It's FAR better than "good".  Happy reading!
    28/100
    LittleL 8/10/07
    Baby E 11/27/10

Check out my makeup and reading blog:
    Books and Beauty
  • I was thinking about posting about this book too!  I've checked it out three times now and either didn't even start it or only read a couple of chapters.  I want to read it because I keep hearing how great it is but it seems like there's always something else I would rather read.  Someday I will read it!
  • This *may* be my favorite book -- EVER (if not, definitely in the top three). ?Enjoy!
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • I read it once as a girl, and remember loving it, although I can't remember the details of it. I have a really old copy on my shelf (hardcover) from a yard sale a while ago, and I have been meaning to re-read it. 
    image image image
  • One of the best books I have ever read!

Books read in 2012: 61
    Books read in 2011: 77
    Books read in 2010: 42
    Books read in 2009: 52
  • I'm so glad to see the positive feedback about this book.  It's been sitting on my bookshelf for quite awhile now.  I plan on reading it since I'm working on reading all of the books I own but haven't read yet.  Now, I feel much better about reading it.  Smile
    View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • My sister's review from GoodReads

"I liked the book for the strong female characters (Francie, Kate, even Sissy) all doing what they feel they needed to do to support their family and themselves. It's uplifting to read that, in any situation, you can find happiness thru family routines and small acts create lasting memories for children. I need to remember that more often when dealing with my own kids. Small acts & words can create unmeasurable happiness and seemingly small brush-offs can be burned in a child's mind forever."

Sounds like a good book to me! 

• Awesome, I just requested this one on PBS!
  • avila01avila01 member
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker

I just read it for the first time a couple months ago.  Here's the link to the review I put in my blog: 

http://theshannonexperience.blogspot.com/2009/02/tree-grows-in-brooklyn.html

~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
    Our Blog!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • liz18tliz18t member
    Fifth Anniversary
    This is my all time favorite book! 
  • Wow, I really need to try this one again. I've started it a few times, most recently getting about 80 pages in, and I just wasn't into it at all, I thought it was really boring. But so many people love it!
  • i read it a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it :o)
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne