Trouble in Paradise
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

S/O my earlier post... quick question for those that did a JOP and then had a wedding later.

Sorry if anyone found my PP offensive.  I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings, it's just not something I wrap my mind around all that easily for some reason, and hearing your situations does help me understand.

Anyway.  For those of you who eloped or did a courthouse wedding but then did a bigger wedding later, which date do you use as your anniversary?  What about for things like business/insurance forms or contracts?  I would assume you'd use the legal date for the latter, but I don't know!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O my earlier post... quick question for those that did a JOP and then had a wedding later.

• I'm not sure if this counts but we had a JOP, a local judge actually, perform our wedding ceremony in front of our guest. It was just the basic New York State non-religious ceremony.
  • well...we celebrate our anniversary according to the ceremony we had with all our family and friends in June (aka the 2nd ceremony)

ETA:  a judge married us initially.  We paid for the license just like all other couples do, and we had the judge sign it.

My priest knew we were going to marry in the courthouse.  I asked his permission first.  He married us in the eyes of God in June.  We signed the church records with him to reflect the June date.

Basically, our legal wedding date is obviously the first.  There really aren't any forms we have had to fill out with our wedding date aside from those associated with the wedding. So, I don't even know which date I would put.  Legally it would be the date we went to the courthouse.

• They would have to use the courthouse date on anything legal.  Insurance, mortgage, whatever.  For telling people what their anniversery date is and celebrating, that is up to the couple.