Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]knot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mini vent...RE: nicknames for DD

Leyla's gymnastic instructor has started calling my daughter Ley-lee. I can't stand it. After the first couple of times it happened, my kid ran off to the bench and pouted. When I asked her what was wrong, she said "Mommy, my name is Leyla." And then we had water, chatted about telling the teacher what her name is and re-joined the class. I know she's only two but she is already very outspoken. The teacher hates it when kids run off too. She said "Uh-uh Leylee, what happened? You know better."

This past class, Leyla told the teacher "My name is Leyla," but the coach didn't stop and Leyla got used to it and responded anyway. It's not a big deal, but I'm so irritated by it, like nails on a chalk board irritated. It's like if her name was Kayla and people started calling her Kaylee.

Cara, married 05.14.05 Leyla Marie, born 01.11.07 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Mini vent...RE: nicknames for DD

• Yeah - irritating! ?I'd maybe say something to her myself. ?Just a polite, friendly but firm "her name is Leyla" or "we prefer using Leyla than nicknames".?
  • That fact that it bothered Leyla (and not just you) I think you should mention it to the teacher. Let her know that Leyla prefers her fulll name and because of this you would appreciate if she respected her wishes.

I think it would be different if Leyla liked it. She clearly doesn't.

• I agree. Definitely tell the teacher that it's upset your daughter, too. I know when I was little I would get VERY insulted if someone mixed up my name.

According to my mother, I'd cry. :') 

• I'm with Maria.  It's ridiculous that this woman is making up her own version of the name despite Leyla and you not liking it.  Tell the teacher gently but firmly that her name is Leyla and you would prefer her to use that and not a cutesy version of it.  It would make me nuts if somebody called Annora "Annie" so I can only imagine how much it's bugging you to hear Leylee all the time.
  • That would drive me crazy, so I would probably talk to her about it.

Proud Mama to two sweet kiddos.
  • I agree with the others, I would talk to the instructor.  Just be honest and tell her that Leyla was upset after class one day because she was being called the "wrong" name.  I wouldn't want to come off as being snarky or as one of "those" high strung moms, and chances are the teacher is just trying to be affectionate with the kids, so you can play it off casual like "oh, you know kids and the things they get hung up on.....maybe you could just be sure to call her by her proper name from now on". 
  • I totally agree with Chantal and Maria.  That would annoy me up a wall...sorry, Cara! 
  • imagecampfirelove:
    I agree with the others, I would talk to the instructor.  Just be honest and tell her that Leyla was upset after class one day because she was being called the "wrong" name.  I wouldn't want to come off as being snarky or as one of "those" high strung moms, and chances are the teacher is just trying to be affectionate with the kids, so you can play it off casual like "oh, you know kids and the things they get hung up on.....maybe you could just be sure to call her by her proper name from now on". 

this exactly.