Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

just a thought..

how many ppl do you know of married in church yet never attend church (before and after married) for very long time? I have a friend like that and for me it is... just not right. But its just my opinion... and myself,I didnt married in church.

Re: just a thought..

• Well, for many its a family thing. its important to their family.

For catholics, its a sacrament. Just because you don't go to mass every week, you still take part in all of your sacraments. So it makes perfect sense to me.

• Honestly i couldnt care less what people do regarding church. It doesnt effect me in any way shape or form, so i have no opinion.

• Why do you feel you need to have an opinion on what other people do vis a vis their wedding venue?

Most people who are non-members of churches pay a considerable sum of money for the venue which enables the pastor, organist, sexton and congregation to net a little extra.

• Let me make sure I've got this straight -- you think people who get married in a church should attend church, and people who get married in a church but don't attend church are 'wrong'? I thought it was the Lord's job to be all judgmental and stuff. I didn't realize He appointed you to do it for Him. Congrats. That's quite a substantial responsibility.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • My DH and I got married in a church - one that we don't even belong to - and rarely, rarely attend church.

I heavily disdain organized religion.  But I believe in God and wanted a church wedding.

Why do you care?  If it makes you feel better, I already asked God about it and s/he is fine with it. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image zitiqueen:

Let me make sure I've got this straight -- you think people who get married in a church should attend church, and people who get married in a church but don't attend church are 'wrong'? I thought it was the Lord's job to be all judgmental and stuff. I didn't realize He appointed you to do it for Him. Congrats. That's quite a substantial responsibility.

Exactly.

And add to the fact that you didn't get married in a church and  you are judging your friend.

That's kind of making you sound like a b!tch. Do you see that?

Hope is not a strategy.
  • image IrishBrideND:

For catholics, its a sacrament. Just because you don't go to mass every week, you still take part in all of your sacraments. So it makes perfect sense to me.

To expand on this, I took a Catholic Marriage course in college (private uni with a theology requirement).  Apparently, if you're Catholic and you get married outside of a Catholic church, unless you get a permission slip from the Pope or some other high muckitymuck, your marriage is null & void in the eyes of the Catholic church.  I can definitely see getting married in a Catholic church if you're non-practicing, especially if you have super religious parents who would sh!t kittens because you're totally breaking God's law.

Though really... I have to ask... what's it to you?

• If they weren't regular attendees prior to their marriage, why would you think they'd suddenly start going after they get married in the church?

There are plenty of people who get married in their childhood churches years after they've stopped practicing that religion -- for sentimental reasons, for "keeping Grandma happy" reasons, for whatever reason.  I tend to think it's probably better to get a couple who's not actively practicing their religious faith to marry in a church with the hope that someday they might return to regular praxis (maybe when children enter the picture) and let them know they're always welcome to return than to hit them with the fire and brimstone about how they must be in church every single Sunday from now on and how bad they are for not doing it previously.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My H and I never go to church and it's not a big part of our lives. When we started to plan our wedding last year I knew I wanted and out side wedding and reception and that's we we did...we had our wedding at our new home and it was perfect.

We both would have felt very...weird ( is that the right word ) if we had married in a church since we don't attend one regularly.  It just doesn't seem right to me.

• image zitiqueen:

Let me make sure I've got this straight -- you think people who get married in a church should attend church, and people who get married in a church but don't attend church are 'wrong'? I thought it was the Lord's job to be all judgmental and stuff. I didn't realize He appointed you to do it for Him. Congrats. That's quite a substantial responsibility.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't get the feeling anyone was "judging" anyone else.  I thought she was just looking for feed back.  Some times I just want to know what others think for the heck of it or to get other opinions on my view which is always good.  I can see your point though...who cares where someone else gets married...it's not YOUR wedding.

• I guess I'm a big, fat Judgy McJudgerson because I do a big eye-roll everytime I see/hear of a couple who marry in a church when they don't attend regularly or even half-way regularly.  I see it as just part of the "pretty princess day". 

I was brought up Catholic and wouldn't DREAM of marrying in a church (Catholic or any other church) - even to please Grandma because I don't attend regularly or even consider myself as half-way religious or Catholic.  My personal opionion is that I would have been a hypocrite to marry in a place that I don't worship in.  My DH was in the same boat as me and we were married by a judge.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't keep me up a night, though.  To each their own.

• I would love your opinion on my situation.  Got married in a rented hall but I've been attending church for years.  
  • image Hemmy Roid:

I guess I'm a big, fat Judgy McJudgerson because I do a big eye-roll everytime I see/hear of a couple who marry in a church when they don't attend regularly or even half-way regularly. 

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, no skin off my nose.

Just because I don't see the need to sit in a church every Sunday to prove my spirituality doesn't mean that I didn't want religion to be a part of my wedding. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I got married in a church because I liked the bells and big pretty steeple thing.

I do not attend church, I don't care for organized religion.

• lol...im with you! you got it right.."organized" Wink
  • I go married in the same church my mother, aunts, and grandmother all got married in. I do not belong to that church but my pastor was doing the wedding. It was about tradition and nothing to do with religion. The church I was married in is Lutheran and my pastor is non-denominational.

Quit frankly when it comes to what people do with their religion before and after their wedding I really don?t care. After my DH and I moved out of state four years ago we never became members to another church.

• I am not Christian but I married in a Protestant Church.

I would have preferred a JOP, but my DH is Catholic and wanted to have a religious service.

Among other things, the Catholic Church requires you agree to raise your children Catholic.  I certainly could have just lied and said yes, but I was not comfortable doing that. I researched several other denominations and found a minister and faith whose practices and beliefs worked with mine.

So I was, in fact, doing my best to honor the faith of those who believe in the tenets of these two churches with my choices.

TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. Tests normal.

jbelle

• I have to say: Wow!! So what if someone wishes to be married in a church but does not attend regularly....... You don't know their reasons. Some do this as a sign of respect for the way they are raised; some do this because it is how they envisioned their wedding day and have faith in God yet do not practive organized religion; and some just do this because they want a pretty princcess day...... It's their choice and it is between them and God in the end of it all.

Someone is not being very Christian!! Don't judge others lest ye be judged........

• lol... i really do not understand you guys.. as I said in the title "It is just a thought."  I dont mean to judge people or even make it sound very rude or anything that you describe. Well, some take it lightly, some may not but I just don't get it why people so angry of it. Cant we express our opinion here? it just crossed my mind that day and I dont feel by stating it here I'm judging God or you. You know yourself better why you do what you do. I dont care. Like I said ... it is just a thought.
  • image IrishBrideND:

Well, for many its a family thing. its important to their family.

never thought of this before, so yeah it makes sense now.
  • It's cute when people think their opinions matter.