Cincinnati Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Can I refuse to do something at work?

It's not in my job description.

My boss just told me that he wants me to present one of my reports to the entire division (about 50 people).

I have no interested in doing so. Giving presentations is not in my job description. I hate any sort of public speaking. As in, had to see a counselor in high school for it. Avoided any course in college that required verbal presentations (couldn't get out of my senior thesis presentation though).

And... this report doesn't pertain to the rest of the division. It's an engineering group. I work in the adminstration section. So my report is specifically tailored to administrative functions, which pretty much only pertains to myself, and my boss.

I really don't want to be here anyway. And asking me to do things that I really don't want to do, that aren't in my job description, and that I don't see the point of really isn't helping.

Hmph.

Indifferent

Re: Can I refuse to do something at work?

• Isn't it the least bit flattering that he thinks your report is good enough and interesting enough that he wants you to present it?  Personally, I'd take it as a compliment. Maybe he's considering your promotion potential.
  • Most job descriptions have something about "other duties as requested" or some comment like that to cover your boss asking you to do something that isn't in your job description. 

Public speaking is terrifying.  I still get so nervous if I have to do trainings or run meetings, but it is hard to avoid.  I'd just roll with it and like PP said, take it as a compliment.

• No chance of a promotion. I'm technically a "temp" (even though I've been here 5 years), and I'm as high as I can go as a temp.

Our company is on a complete hiring & promotion freeze, we don't get bonuses,and I just took a 10% paycut. And I've already had my annual review.

I guess I'm just in a pissy mood. I still don't want to do it though.
  • I agree with pp's that you should take it as a complement, and especially since you are a temp, I would do it.  Now if he were asking you to do something that was a ton more work that you weren't compensated for, then I'd refuse.  Plus, if your presentation has nothing to do with these people, then most aren't going to pay attention anyway.  Put on your best Charlie Brown teacher voice and see how many you can get to fall asleep!  GL and I'm sure it will all go fine. 
  • Can you refuse?  I don't know.  I was in a situation where a boss took work I did and presented it as his/her own.  Would it bother you if your boss took your report and presented it w/o giving you any credit?  That would be my only concern, but I'm paranoid after what happened to me!
    Visit The Nest!baby development PitaPata Dog tickers image