Cleaning & Organizing
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Mattress covers/pads--recommendations?

Hey,

We use a mattress cover but go through them like crazy! We are averaging buying a new one more than once a year. Is this normal? I'm not talking about pads that protect the mattress from wetness, I mean just the normal mattress cover. We haven't tried anything expensive, maybe that's where we are going wrong. LOL. The last one was a Martha Stewart one from K-Mart. Is this an item that fits the "you get what you pay for" category?

Thanks!

Re: Mattress covers/pads--recommendations?

• What happens to them..do they rip? I know I have had 2 for the past three years now...I alternate them. I am not sure how often you change them...I change my sheets once a week and change the mattress cover every other week....so each mattress cover gets used once a month for 2 weeks at a time.

Do you wash it by itself in the washing machine? I don't have expensive ones either....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have no idea what you're doing but that should not be happening. We've had ours since I lived at my parents house (5 years ago.)  We wash ours every other time we change the sheets (we change the sheets every week to week and a half.)  Ours is either from KMart of WalMart and wasn't expensive at all. We also bleach it.

What exactly is happening to it that you need to replace it so often?

• Thanks ladies! I've been washing them right in with my sheets in hot water every two wks (sheets every wk). I have not bleached them, but I do use vinegar in the wash. The pad itself is ok, it's just the part that goes down and around the sides of the mattress that shreds to pieces.

Thanks for your posts--at least I know I'm not washing them too often or anything like that. I'll try another brand and see how it goes. I'm thankful that each of you said you don't spend a fortune on them, I won't go the high-end route just yet. :)