Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Is it possible not to lose any weight on the South Beach diet?

I am about to finish my 2 weeks of phase 1 on the South Beach diet and finally allowed myself onto the scale. I havent even lost one pound. I only have 7 lbs to lose, and I know they say not to expect steller things with that little to lose, but come on! Has anyone else had this experience?

Re: Is it possible not to lose any weight on the South Beach diet?

• Of course it is! especially if you aren't tracking everything you put into your mouth. It's very easy to underestimate how much you are eating, even when eating healthy food. It's also easy to not eat enough calories if you are eating a lot of veggies. The only thing that has ever worked for me was tracking.
  • I agree with Serendipitie, you have to know how much you're eating. It doesn't matter if you're eating all the "right" foods, it will always come down to calories in versus calories out.?
  • I've done the math for a few days and all were between 1200-1500 calories, but I also run 30-45 minutes or go to a 60 minute bootcamp class 5 days a week.  I am not hungry, so intuitive eating wise, I figured I am ok. The idea behind doing the SB diet was not only to try to get rid of those 7 lbs I packed on in the last 1.5 years but also to clean up my diet. To be honest, with the exception of some white bread, and some chocolate every day it wasnt too different than SB prescribes in phase 2. Hmmm, I am totally confused...
  • Hmmm I lost 8 pounds my first week and 2 so far on SB. I'm exercising too. The first 2 weeks set the tone though and if you are eating milk chocolate that has lots of sugars in it and the whole point is no sugar, to get your glycemic index down. The white bread is never allowed on SB either, only whole grains.  Then in week 3 you introduce it back slowly. I'd just move on to phase 2 and see how it goes, but with 7 pounds only to lose it may take longer. ... goodluck!
  • Oh no thats not what I meant- HAHA! I meant that BEFORE the diet I would eat white bread occasionally and chocolate daily- since starting SB, I have followed the SB guidelines for the last 12 days, without cheating. If it were the other way around I wouldnt have a leg to stand on for wondering why I wasnt losing. I read the whole SB book before begining and refer to it often. The first few days were hard- I was dizzy, and crabby, but after I got to day 4 it has been pretty easy. Although I miss fruit. ( However I am not missing my chocolate- which is quite a feat for  me!!)  Thanks for everyone's comments....

• oh ok :) Hmm maybe it's not big enough of a change for your body? I know  did SB a few years ago for the wedding and lost7 the first week but this time it took 2 AND it was the last 4 days or so that really changed it. Maybe just sticking with the other phase will help you get there,just wont be as quick. Instead of 1-2 pounds a week you may only get .5-1 pound a week? I joined online for free for 7 days, and got a nutrioniist or 2.99 a week and then canceled online and kept the nutrionist for 6 weeks and she helped me a lot,
  • Most of that fast weight loss is water, so if you have been eating right and exercising, you won't see that. When you counted calories, did you weigh and measure? That is the tracking downfall of a lot of people. The typical chicken breast these days are about 6 ounces, and I have had some weigh in at 8 oz! Also, are you eating natural foods or processed South Beach Diet stuff? I always do better when I eat more natural foods, fruits, veggies, etc. and cut out the processed crap, even though I am eating the same number of calories. GL!
  • Agree on the portion sizes, but Phase 1 shouldn't be eating anything processeed from SB, that's all for phase 2 and 3. But I don't eat any of that, b/c again, it's processed. Also, have you been doing the same amount of exericse since starting SB? If your diet hasn't changed much nor exerice probably wont see much of a change.
  • I've lost 18 lbs doing SBD, so yeah, I think it works.
  • If you only have 7 lbs to lose, you really think you can lose that in 2 weeks?!??!?!  Even doing South Beach diet, which by the way leads to water loss in the first two weeks?  sorry, but even if you do the right thing by exercising and watching your portions, you shouldn't expect to lose more than a pound a week!  Yeap, losing weight is a ***!
  • image Beth2734:
    I agree with Serendipitie, you have to know how much you're eating. It doesn't matter if you're eating all the "right" foods, it will always come down to calories in versus calories out.

Ditto. 

See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
    my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I was not hoping to lose all 7, I am pretty sure it will take a while to lose them, just as it took a while to put them on. I was hoping to lose 2-3 in the first few weeks...but I can say this- I  feel better than I did before- no afternoon slump, no cravings. So it must be working in some ways.... Thanks again for the input :-) I will trek on and see what happens