Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

pixy_stix or others in the quality dog food know

I feed my dogs a local brand that my neighbor recommended and it is supposed to be high quality.    Lately they haven't been eating very well, we've kind of had to coax them to eat.  I thought it was just me being on bedrest then the disruption of the baby that was causing their lack of appetite.  However, we ran out of dog food and the store we usually buy it at was closed for the evening so we went and bought a small bag of the heathiest food DH could find at the grocery store.  They chowed down like it was a bowl of treats and have continued to eat very well since then.

So long story short I think I'm in the market for a new high quality food.  What do you recommed for small breed dogs (Shih Tzus)?  They're 3 and 4 years old.

DS 09/08

i-QrTjQpv-L.jpg</p

Re: pixy_stix or others in the quality dog food know

• http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Any of the 4-6 star foods.

Of course they liked the grocery store food, it's like twinkies, ho-hos and a mcdonalds hamburger all rolled into one!  :op

A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.
  • I should add the most commonly recommended/fed brands are:

California Natural

Innova Evo (but can be too rich for some dogs)

Taste of the Wild

and

Merrick (but expensive)

• d.fd.f member
    Thanks!  They must just be tired of the current food.

DS 09/08

i-QrTjQpv-L.jpg</p

• How do I look-up the brand we use?  I couldn't find Nutro Natrual Choice anywhere on there...

ETA: Nevermind I found it, it's only 2-star here, but get's an A (on a A-D) scale on another site.  I gues that inital site rates meat products very highly and the other site I looked at looked at quality (organic/natural) as more of an indicator. 

The Big Sky Country Welcomes Us Home!
  • image MTbridess:
    How do I look-up the brand we use?  I couldn't find Nutro Natrual Choice anywhere on there...

Click on Reviews then type the brand in the search box.  Nutro Natural seems to be a 2 star food.

Also something to be aware of is that Nutro has had several suspicious recalls in the last year and a half, as well as reports of dogs becoming sick.  None of that is "official" though, just internet chatter.

• image pixy_stix:

image MTbridess:
    How do I look-up the brand we use?  I couldn't find Nutro Natrual Choice anywhere on there...

Click on Reviews then type the brand in the search box.  Nutro Natural seems to be a 2 star food.

Also something to be aware of is that Nutro has had several suspicious recalls in the last year and a half, as well as reports of dogs becoming sick.  None of that is "official" though, just internet chatter.

Riley used to be on Nutro and I have NOTHING good to say about them.  They did change owners and have changed many of their manufactors.  I will NEVER go let  Riley get near their food again. 

With that said we feed Riley Taste of the Wild Roasted Buffalo and Roasted Venison.  He loves it.  It is hardly more than the Nutro because he eats so much less of it.  With the Nutro he ate through a 45lb bag in a little less than a month.  With the TOTW he goes through the 30lb bag in a month and a half.  He is a HUGE golden retriever, I'm sure your bags last forever!  Good luck finding a new food that work for them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Both my cat and dog eat Innova Evo. They have a Little Bites version and my pap loves it.
    Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85