Colorado Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Controversial clicky poll

[Poll]
A big old middle finger to you, stupid Nest.

Re: Controversial clicky poll

• IMHO, yes.  Let them use their 'home language' in their homes, with family and friends, etc. 

I hate that we have translate federal/state/official forms in different languages. 

I hate that the top half of EVERY letter we get from our mortgage company is completely in Spanish then the bottom half of the letter is in English.

I hate that we have to 'press 1 for English'. 

:::stepping off soap box::: More than you asked for, I know.

Melissa ~ DS Ladik
    image image image
  • Would your opinion be different if you spoke a language other than English?  How hard is it for you to learn another language?
  • image pixy_stix:
    Would your opinion be different if you spoke a language other than English?  How hard is it for you to learn another language?

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and I SUCK AT IT.  If I moved to Mexico or Spain, I would not expect them to translate everything into English.

Melissa ~ DS Ladik
    image image image
  • image pixy_stix:
    Would your opinion be different if you spoke a language other than English?  How hard is it for you to learn another language?

No.  If I moved to another country, I would expect that I would need to learn their language.

• image HuskerLissa:

image pixy_stix:

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school and I SUCK AT IT.  If I moved to Mexico or Spain, I would not expect them to translate everything into English.

... but they do.  Most countries have adapted to the English speaking nations because we're so damn stubborn that (the collective) we won't learn other languages.

• I'm NOT pointing the finger towards those that speak Spanish.  That is just the other language that I 'know'.
    Melissa ~ DS Ladik
    image image image
  • I see I'm in the minority, but I've never felt even sightly inconvenienced by another language then English in the US and I love that people don't feel they have surpress their use of their native language.  Since I'm not great at other languages, it amazes me how quickly people with other native languages learn English in the US. 
    The Big Sky Country Welcomes Us Home!
  • I voted yes but not for the reason stated.

I don't think that there should be an "English only law".  I do, however, think it would make sense to have an official language and English would make the most sense considering that it is the de facto official language.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If we have everything in Spanish though, don't we need to have it into every other language that has an immigrant in this country?  Where do we draw the line?
  • image pixy_stix:
    image HuskerLissa:

image pixy_stix:

... but they do.  Most countries have adapted to the English speaking nations because we're so damn stubborn that (the collective) we won't learn other languages.

This is what I was curious about if other countries have forms and such in English as well....

• image twodaisies:
    If we have everything in Spanish though, don't we need to have it into every other language that has an immigrant in this country?  Where do we draw the line?

I think everything is in Spanish because that is the largest immigrant population in the nation that we have right now.

• Don't get me started! I hate that when I drive into my neighborhood I don't know what the billboards say because we cater so much to other languages. I don't visit other countries expecting them to cater to my English only speaking. I learn their language and try my hardest to use it to communicate. I think the US is just catering to lazy people who don't want to try to learn English.

I also think that to be hired in an English speaking industry employees should be required to speak it. I HATE when non-English speaking employees get mad at me because I can't communicate with them.

I could keep going, this makes my blood boil. I'm all for diversity etc, but laziness just gets me.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I voted yes, but really somewhere I am in between.  I don't think by any means we should make this an "English only" type of thing, but I do think that immigrants should be expected to learn English and at least be able to communicate the basics in English.  I do think English should be the "standard" in this country.  I also agree with pp, if we have everything in English and Spanish how is that fair to all of the other immigrants who come from non-Spanish speaking countries, but still managed to learn English?

In no way do I believe anyone should tell people what language they are allowed to speak, but I think if you go into the post office, bank, what have you, you should be able to communicate your needs in English...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • To me, this is the difference between the 'melting pot' philosophy and the sectioned plate that we seem to have now.

I believe that every culture should be able to keep their own customs (unless illegal or harmful to others) and make that part of their family history.  It helps flavor the pot, if you will.

As a nation, we need commonalities, and communication is HUGE.  If we splinter into many different languages, we lose a lot. 

PHOTOS REMOVED

• image LittleMissGreenEyes:

I could keep going, this makes my blood boil. I'm all for diversity etc, but laziness just gets me.

See, its the perception that people don't learn english because they're "lazy" that makes MY blood boil.  It has to be one of the most ignorant things you can say.  Ever.  From an educational stand-point it has been proven that some people just can't learn another language once their language patterns are set.  Or they may plain just have a learning disability.

Oh, but wait.  People with learning disabilities must be lazy too.  Or those that never had the opportunity to advance with school.  Lazy!

• image pixy_stix:

Oh, but wait.  People with learning disabilities must be lazy too.  Or those that never had the opportunity to advance with school.  Lazy!

low blow - apples and oranges

Melissa ~ DS Ladik
    image image image
  • d.fd.f member
    I'm in the minority it appears.  I think to many things would fall through the cracks if important documents weren't translated into the individuals first language.  I assume billboards, mortgage letters etc would remain in Spanish since those are being done by private industry not the government.

DS 09/08

i-QrTjQpv-L.jpg</p

• image pixy_stix:

image twodaisies:
    If we have everything in Spanish though, don't we need to have it into every other language that has an immigrant in this country?  Where do we draw the line?

I think everything is in Spanish because that is the largest immigrant population in the nation that we have right now.

Isn't that how we ended up with English as our official language?  It wasn't because all Americans were originally English-speakers (far from it), but just because English-speakers happened to be the largest immigrant population.

I'm with pixy and MTbridess on this one.

• image HuskerLissa:
    image pixy_stix:

low blow - apples and oranges

Not really.  Most of the Mexican immigrants probably never had a formal education such as what is provided in the states.  Even their children, if they're migrant workers, don't get the same education as our children do.

• P, I don't understand the connection to learning disabilities?
    Melissa ~ DS Ladik
    image image image
  • image HuskerLissa:
    P, I don't understand the connection to learning disabilities?

Some people just can't learn another language.  It's a "stumbling" block for them.  They just don't have the aptitude.  The linguistic pathways in your brain are set pretty early in your childhood whether or not you can learn a new language.  That's why children find it easier to learn a new language than an adult.

• I'm not sure how we can have English only and still protect everyone's rights.  How does a non English speaking rape victim go to the police, file a complaint, or confront her accuser in court if there are no translation services?  Why should someone not count in the Census because they can't read "bureaucratese"?  Think about it - what incentive is there for a member of Congress to represent the rights of all his constituents if only the English-speaking ones are counted, and only the English-speaking ones can vote because registration is English only?  As far as the billboards and such go, that is the market's doing, not the government's.  I don't think we should be telling private businesses how they can communicate with prospective customers.
  • If I remember correctly, it was between English & German back when our country was founded. 

How many languages did they write our original, historical documents in?

PHOTOS REMOVED

• Today I had a patient who is 2nd generation American who speaks no English  Her daughter was also present who is 3rd generation American who speaks no English.  Meanwhile, the patient's brother-in-law showed up later to help translate (though I understand spanish, I just don't speak it well and we actually did quite well up to that) and he actually complained about the patient not speaking English - he said that his mom never learned English but that she made sure all her kids learned it so that they could be bilingual and be successful in the US.

I don't care what you speak at home - you can speak Pig Latin for all I care - but I think that if you choose to reside in this country that you should do your best to learn the language.  If I were to move to a foreign country, I wouldn't expect people there to bend over backwards for me if I didn't know the native language.

• image goldenjes:

How many languages did they write our original, historical documents in?

In the US?  French, Spanish, and English had the biggest colonies.

• Also, I don't think this has anything to do with learning disabilities or difficulties, but with expectations. 

PHOTOS REMOVED

• image Karenbird:
    I'm not sure how we can have English only and still protect everyone's rights.  How does a non English speaking rape victim go to the police, file a complaint, or confront her accuser in court if there are no translation services?  Why should someone not count in the Census because they can't read "bureaucratese"?  Think about it - what incentive is there for a member of Congress to represent the rights of all his constituents if only the English-speaking ones are counted, and only the English-speaking ones can vote because registration is English only?  As far as the billboards and such go, that is the market's doing, not the government's.  I don't think we should be telling private businesses how they can communicate with prospective customers.

Very well said.  Much better than my "bull in a China shop" approach.  :op

• IMO, "English only" laws should still allow for translators when needed as in the cases above (rape victims, etc).

PHOTOS REMOVED

• image maddie80:

Isn't that how we ended up with English as our official language?  It wasn't because all Americans were originally English-speakers (far from it), but just because English-speakers happened to be the largest immigrant population.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the US has an official language

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker