Canada Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Potty training is going to be the death of me!

He has ZERO interest!  Does not want to even go near the bathroom....

We had some mild success last month, meaning he wanted to sit on the potty (but did nothing) so we moved to Pull Ups.  Since then, nothing.  I am hestitant to go back to diapers..

Any suggestions out there?!?!

Re: Potty training is going to be the death of me!

• Maybe he is just not ready yet? My nephew is 5 months older than Radley and it was only recently that he became interested and has been asking to go in the potty. He actually does really well with #1, he wears an underwear at daycare, but they put a pull up on him at home. What if you wait a few weeks and try again?
  • image OnCloud999:
    Maybe he is just not ready yet? My nephew is 5 months older than Radley and it was only recently that he became interested and has been asking to go in the potty. He actually does really well with #1, he wears an underwear at daycare, but they put a pull up on him at home. What if you wait a few weeks and try again?

That is what we thought to do, just leave it alone until he starts to ask. But know do we go back to diapers??

• I've been having a lot of success with Noah in the last 3 weeks... which is when I just starting letting him go bare bum while we are at home or at my parents (which is my work). in the car, other ppl's homes, & naps he wears a cloth diaper and a disposible for night. However, I also started getting him used to the potty at 7 months (he would pee and poo on it occassionally)... so he's known a lot about this for a year now.

We use a pee-pee cup, bc he likes to stand just like daddy (and a stool isn't good yet for balance and aim). sitting on the potty wasn't working much for us. and just this morning, he stood on the toilet seat and pee'd in the toilet twice. He knows the sensation of having to pee, he then asks for his pee cup and we say "hold it" until he gets to the cup. then I count to 3, take a deep breath and make a "ppsssss" sound. we usually say "good boy" when he starts, but now as soon as he starts peeing, he'll say "good boy". I keep the cup in view of every room that he is in (I don't make him walk to the bathroom yet), and I never ask if he needs to pee (just makes him frustrated)... instead, just asking him to tell me where his pee cup is - so that its on his mind. I also pump him full of liquid during the day so that he gets the hang of it (the feel/sensation of having to pee). We also tell him that there is no peeing or pooing on the carpet. He gets 2 smarties for going poo on the potty (which he has done 3-4 times in these 3 weeks... usually poos in his morning or nap diaper). no smarties for pee... maybe 1 for the whole day of being a great pee'er.

FYI - the first week we started this, he had our 100% attention. I can usually tell if he has to pee bc he's going a lil stinger. Now he constantly asks for the pee cup - even will hold it himself. the last part of the routine is for him to hold the cup and walk "slow" to the toilet and dump it in, flush the toilet, and wash his hands. However, this last part has lost a lot of its allure, and he only cares to do it part of the time.

I figure our next stage is to get him in underwear. let me know if you have other questions about what has worked for us.

• That sucks.  But keep trying.  Worth it not to have to deal with diapers.  (I haven't changed a poopy one for over a year.)

And I'd forget the pull ups and go to some cool boy underwear.  He won't want to mess in those.  And his only alternative is the toilet.

If you're feeling discouraged, put your younger boy on the toilet upon waking or after a meal.  Tickle his belly say "go pee!  ssssssssssssss!"  Bet you'll catch something.  That may motivate you -- and your older son!  ;)   Babies are super easy.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (sGpn)

• It could be that he's not ready.  If he doesn't NEED (ie to go to school) I personally would wait until he shows interest.  It's very common for boys to not be potty trained until they are 3 or older.

• I'm so afraid for my turn to train DD... gahhh

Sorry, Kel, no advice here (I'm of no use). But I do feel bad for ya!

• My niece wasn't potty trained until she was almost 3 years old.... (and not because they didn't try starting around 2). I think some kids just take longer to feel the sensation. Is your reason for wanting to go back to diapers because the pull-ups are more expensive? If you are going to be at home, I like the idea of trying "big boy" underwear as well. good luck :S
  • The girls on my other board said to skip the pull ups completely, since they confuse some kids.  Apparently they feel a lot like diapers, so some kids don't understand why they can't pee or poo in them rather than in the toilet.

I'm so not looking forward to this phase...