Relationships
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

XP: Please help with school/study tips

I?m starting an accelerated BS (Nursing) program next month and I?m terrified. I?m normally a B student, but I need to improve that if I want to make it thru this.  The grading curve is also different.

A: 100%-92%

B: 91%-85%

C: 84%-77%

I can get no less than a 77% in any class or it is considered failing. I also have to test out of each class every 10 weeks.  It's been awhile since I've been in school. What are some great study tips or advice that you have? TIA

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/8wgzv8.jpg[/IMG] Zombie apocalypse? I got this!

Re: XP: Please help with school/study tips

• Uh, why don't you ask nurses that have been thru the program? This is a relationship board...

Good place to start:

http://allnurses.com/

• Study groups. I never used to think they would work, but when I was in nursing school I found them to be my life saver. My number 1 study tip: A little glass of bailey and hot chocolate while studying for tests. Its not enough alcohol to make you loopy, just enough to relax for proper studying.
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Notes:
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    blog
  • I guess my best study tip was- as much as possible, treat study time or writing papers as a job. ?Schedule time, and if you schedule time to study at 4, be at your chair, with all your supplies ready, at 3:59. ?It's easy to view studying as something you can squish in here or there, or do while you're doing something else- but if you want to be making A's, you need to make it a Priority with a capital P. ?

The other thing that really helped me- really be aware of how you learn, and tailor your studying strategies to that. ?I'm a visual person, so having someone quiz me is a waste of time. ?I used to rewrite my notes before tests and got A's, because, although that process was time consuming, it was the most effective thing for me- to see it, write it, and see it again. ?WIth vocabulary, I've also taped the words and definitions to things I see a lot- like a door or mirror.

Good luck!?

• Set a time to study EVERY day.  Review view your notes from class using the "prescription".  Have a piece of paper and move it down the notes that you took in class.  If you have no idea what the main heading/vocabulary word, ectera is, then you know where you need to study. 

Also, you need to solidify the information that you learn in every class.  Ask your self: what was the main point of the class.  Mentally make yourself recall what you have learned in the last 50 minutes.  

Turn off email/TV/facebook/cell phones, ect during study time.  

I also agree with MrsGinger - tailor your needs around your study habits.  Personally, sitting still for long periods of time drives me crazy.  So, when I studied at home, I sat on an excersize ball and it helped me get out my energy while studying. 

Go in and talk to your professor.  Ask them to clarify anything you don't understand.  Have a list of questions to show them that you are trying hard.  I found that the more I showed them I was trying, the more they were apt to give me a better grade.

GL!  You can do this! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Go to class.  Do the readings.  ALL the readings.

No exceptions.

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • A positive mental attitude helps me a lot - from telling myself that I enjoy the subject and am excited about doing my homework,  to sitting down with a glass of tea and a "reward" for myself for once I've met my day's goals.  Kinda lame, maybe, but it helps for me.

I highlight, write notes/outlines and make up flashcards - I memorize best by re-writing, as painful as I find it. Outlining the chapter or making flashcards is less for review (althought they're useful before exams) but for what I gain creating them.

• P.S. I'm in grad school now and the grading system is also different - anything below a B is failing. Your milage may vary, but I feel that the profs grade a little bit less strictly; I haven't gotten a grade below an 83 on anything so far.

Good luck and have fun in your program!

• Something that always worked for me was studying at the same time every day... it's like by that time my brain was programmed to go into student mode. I am also a fan of flashcards. I had an Art History minor so I was constantly memorizing random facts.

Good Luck! ?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 1. If there are supplements to your text books buy them.

2. Many schools have academic assistance centers to help you with homework and tutor you. Its free so do it.

3. Realize that the pain of studying is only for a tiny duration of time (even when it seems endless) so buck it up!

4. Outline and keep good notes, go to all classes and talk with the professors.

GOOD LUCK!!! 

• # 3 is the hardest for me- lol.
  • I agree with others..

1.) make time to study.  For me that means getting up early on weekends since I'm my best in the AM.  I try to get most of my work done during this time versus after work since I am wiped out after dinner.  But I can get stuff done after that time, but it just takes more determination. 

2.) Know yourself - know when you work best AM, afternoon, late night and try to get your work done in that time period if you can.  determine if procrastination motivates you to write through huge papers or deters you.  For me, I need time to write my paper so I work ahead, then I don't read it for a few days so I can get a fresh look at my work and make revisions. 

3.) Read all of the material if you can and make note cards if you need to. 

I agree with the other tips about study groups - it helps to have them around and others to commisurate with.  Good luck to you!

• My parents bought me a digital voice recorder for my birthday last week, and I started using it to tape my class lectures.  Then I listen to them and add to my notes.  I was amazed at how much I was missing!  I think it's because I can either write down what the professor is writing down or listen to what he's saying, not both at the same time.  Just make sure it's ok with your professors before you record them.  Some of them are afraid their lectures will be released to others and that class attendace will drop.

Good luck!

"Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different" ~Roger von Oech
  • Review your notes within thirty minutes after the class. This will help info stick in your brain. Also, I suggest outlining the text...and I second (or third?) the note cards.