Omaha Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Teachers: ? about OPS

Are they not hiring for elementary positions?  If so, how do I submit my application?  I went to their website and there weren't any elementary positions listed.  Is their website the only way to go?

Re: Teachers: ? about OPS

• They are always accepting applications! And there will ALWAYS be openings available. Basically, the superintendent/budget people (not sure who) meet with each principal to decide whether or not grades need to be added/dropped and if all the teachers want to stay, transfer, etc... I don't think that every position that's available is known to the 'public' but it will say "Elementary positions available" or whatever... And then, depending on which area you are wanting, that specific HR person will call you for an intro interview. Then, you basically wait until he/she thinks that a school might be a good fit. She will call you, have you contact the principal, and then you go to that interview. Afterwards, you call the HR person and tell them whether or not you think you would accept a job if offered. The principal chooses between the 2-3 candidates, calls HR, and then HR calls you and offers the job if you were chosen. I hope that makes sense. :-)
    Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks.  I'm still a little confused, though. 

Should I just submit my resume and cover letter  to HR and wait for a call?
  • I don't work for OPS, however, my district doesn't always post their elementary positions because we just don't know where the openings will be ... but it NEVER hurts to submit a resume. I would definitely do so that then see what happens. Heck, it wouldn't hurt to submit the resume and then wait to submit more correspondence so that your papers don't get lost in the shuffle. That's just my two cents.
    Stefanie
    Happily Married Since 11.29.02
    Brayden Kenneth born 3.27.06
    Blaire Kay born 7.10.10

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Thanks!  I feel so out of the loop here.  I have taught for 4 years, but we just moved here and now I need to get a job.  Every district uses a different system and I'm just trying to get my info in while there are still jobs! 

I've already applied to four districts, using their online applications.  I'm going to call three other districts tomorrow to see what to do if they don't have vacancies listed online.
  • Which districts have you applied to already?
    Stefanie
    Happily Married Since 11.29.02
    Brayden Kenneth born 3.27.06
    Blaire Kay born 7.10.10

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes, definitely submit your application! Most districts will send correspondence then to have your credentials sent to them ~~ or it may be included at the end of the app to send it seperately. My biggest piece of advice: be patient. I work with a couple teachers that weren't hired until the week before school starts ~ sometimes they just don't know how many rooms they're going to need. Or, a teacher may decide last minute they aren't coming back. Good luck!
    Our miracle has arrived! Benjamin Aaron, born 6/23/11 image
    Picture courtesy of Heidi Keene Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As of Friday, I have already applied to Elkhorn, Millard, Papillion-La Vista, and Westside.  I also have Bellevue, Bennington, Gretna, OPS, & Ralston on my list. 

I have no problem playing the waiting game, and having worked for a crazy school district where they would hire new teachers 4 weeks after school started, I know that this can be a long process!

Thanks for all of your advice.  I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow (to the places that have no elem. positions posted) and see what the HR departments suggest.
  • It wouldn't hurt to go in and personally ask for an application.  I know that when I first called to apply with OPS, there were art positions posted, and they told me that since I hadn't student taught with them, they couldn't guarantee me an interview.  I then reminded them of my prior employment with them as a para and they set up an interview. 

I know that there were people that were hired for art that didn't student teach with the district, I think they just want to let those that have get first dibs on interviews. 

So basically, don't give up if they are a little stand-offish at first.  They always need teachers! 
  • what grade level do you prefer?  My school is hiring a TON of positions (I work in Papillion LaVista) but I also work closely with Central Office so I could put in a good word for you...
    you can e mail me at [email protected] if you want some more info...