Family Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Would this bother you?

Last weekend, DH and my FIL helped move SIL's stuff out of her apartment. She got a moving van and moved her bed, dresser, etcetc...but here's the kicker..she didn't help AT ALL.

Dh goes over there w/ his dad to help her move, she answers the door, gives them the keys and LEAVES. She didn't help them at all. So basically DH and his dad moved everything for her. She didn't lift one little finger and her excuse was that she had stayed up till 3am partying and was too tired...well too bad!!! DH was so mad he called her later to let her know rude she was and she basically blew him off.

Did I mentioned I am THRILLED she is moving across country. What a relief.

Re: Would this bother you?

• Your SIL is a dovchehose, and that sucks. Your H said his piece, if she blew him off... there is nothing more he can do. This should just be a lesson to him never to help her again. The end. If he helps her again... then he deserves whatever he gets.
    Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • I agree with u. He will never be helping her again since she is moving! ;)
  • I could totally see my SIL doing that. Guess he knows not to help again!
  • if your H is so mad - why did he do it?  your H sounds like a sucker turned complainer.

• Yes, it would have bothered me when she walked out the door and expected me to start slinging boxes.  I would not have called her later to complain about it, however; I would have asked where she thought she was going and what she thought she was doing, and if she still insisted on leaving, I would have hopped in my car and left as well.

No way would I have hung around and spent my whole day hauling her stuff around.  Your FIL and your husband were total pushovers in this situation, and if she thought she could get away with this, I bet it's not the first time she's pulled a stunt like this.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image scherza:

No way would I have hung around and spent my whole day hauling her stuff around.  Your FIL and your husband were total pushovers in this situation, and if she thought she could get away with this, I bet it's not the first time she's pulled a stunt like this.

It's easy to say "I would do __ in ___ situation" but when faced w/ the reality, people often don't follow through.  The whole "it's easier said than done".

BUT- seriously, in this situation, I KNOW I would not help the person move if they literally walked off and left!   I am stunned that your DH and father still moved all her stuff. 

For her to do this- it's learned behavior on some level. Somewhere in there she knows she can do it and get away w/ it.  Even  YOU are saying "Of course they won't help her again - she's moving across the country".  So- if she were local, they'd most likely fall to her game again....??? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Well here's the thing- she has been pulling this sh!t her whole life and DH is now starting to realize it because I am seeing it (and telling him how rude it is, etc)...his parents ARE pushovers and they spoiled her rotten. she has gotten away w/ this behavior in the past and it's disgusting. I told DH he should have just left-i would have if someone asked me to help them move and then expected me to do all of it, but he is so non-confrontational and so is his father. It's sad really.

She's a little brat and I'm happy she is leaving. She is extremely selfish and her parents say this to us, but have never asked her/confronted her about it. It's ridiculous.

• image Sharmin3684:

but he is so non-confrontational and so is his father. It's sad really.

You realize "non-confrontational" is just the politically correct way of saying your husband and FIL are doormats who have no balls, right?

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • no, he is not a doormat-maybe to his sister, but that's it. He realizes now and that's why he called to let her have it. He just doesn't like drama...like I do...haha
  • Why didn't they say something to her right there?  I can't believe they let her get away with this!

It would annoy me, but in a "can you believe her?" shaking my head way, not a "she's off my Christmas card list" way.

• i guess i missed the part where any of this had anything to do with you...so no, i'd have to say it wouldn't bother me if my husband did this.

had my husband been there (because a very similar situation has happened w/ him and my SIL), he would've stopped SIL on her way out the door and said "where do you think you are going? if you want your stuff moved, you're going to help. otherwise, i'm not wasting my entire day moving YOUR stuff"

sounds like your DH and FIL need to grow some backbones and put a stop to her. but none of this seemed to involve you, so i'm not so sure why you are upset about it. these are the kind of things you just have to let go of...it isn't worth the time and energy to be upset, especially when you weren't involved.

• image Sharmin3684:
    no, he is not a doormat-maybe to his sister, but that's it. He realizes now and that's why he called to let her have it. He just doesn't like drama...like I do...haha

oh. ok. i get it now.

• Ahh the princess syndrome...sounds like my SIL...I would be glad she has moved away :)

• It would bother me immensely.  If my husband's sister took advantage of him like that I would be bothered.

It's not drama to stand up for yourself or your husband and at the very least be irritated at situations like this.

p.s. my husband works alot so it is a big deal to me if he helps out other people if they'll try to take advantage of him. 

So I can sympathize with you having issues with this.

Good for your husband for calling it on her in his phone call.  And shame on your ILs for enabling this behavior, they are only really hurting their daughter by not showing her the way to take care of herself and be more responsible.

• Wow.  He and his dad should have left.  

Imagine her surprise when she comes home and sees all her stuff still there, and no one around to do the heavy lifting.    That would have been awesome. 

Sounds like her family enables her. 

• Where did she go?
  • "Last weekend, DH and my FIL helped move SIL's stuff out of her apartment"

That statement is WRONG. they didnt "help" ...they DID it.

• Yes, they have enabled her and yes they did do it-she didn't help a bit...but alas..she is gone now (on her way to moving across country)..

She went to her parents to sleep while they moved her stuff....